Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama dress hats in movies

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Marcelo said:
David Suchet as Poirot in Greece. By the way, this is my first post, and I hope it's an interesting contribution to this thread.

poirotgreece.jpg

Welcome to the Lounge!

I could be wrong (and I probably am), but that doesn't look like a Panama to me. It could just be the photo, but to me it looks more like a hat made from woven wheat straw or something like that. It is neat looking and distinctive, regardless.

Panda Moanium

New in Town
Hi All - My first post here! Hopefully first of many.

Lots of Panamas on show in Michael Winner's 1988 Agatha Christie whodunit Appointment With Death. Peter Ustinov as Poirot was rarely without his throughout the film.

b88b4.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr E Train said:
Welcome to the Lounge!

I could be wrong (and I probably am), but that doesn't look like a Panama to me. It could just be the photo, but to me it looks more like a hat made from woven wheat straw or something like that. It is neat looking and distinctive, regardless.
Clearly it's a fruit basket that the poor fellow inverted and put on his head in a moment of inebriation.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Mr E Train said:
Welcome to the Lounge!

It is a hat most terrible...lol

riccardo

Practically Family
...Casablanca...

Hi to all,
wow, what a beautiful Panama's parade, anyone forgot Casablanca movie:
Sidney Greenstreet, Bacall and ...her movies husband ( I don't rememeber his name...).
Any pics of them?

God bless you.
Riccardo.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
riccardo said:
Hi to all,
wow, what a beautiful Panama's parade, anyone forgot Casablanca movie:
Sidney Greenstreet, Bacall and ...her movies husband ( I don't rememeber his name...).
Any pics of them?

God bless you.
Riccardo.
Also the Victor Laszlo character.

I'm hoping to see some new ones when The Great Gatsby comes out.

Just go to a Brooks Brothers (BB) store near you! I happened to pass one in a mall this week, and the entire movie (or so the claim goes) was outfitted from the BB styles archives, which have been very conveniently resurrected for your shopping ease. Strange, though... I didn't see any men's hats in the store (I looked, but didn't ask) where last year they had several priced at, GULP, $328US. Maybe hats are forthcoming.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
At the Brooks Bros web site they show the typical Italian boater as their Gatsby Collection hat. You can find the same hat cheaper at other retailers, though.

I do like some of the items (especially the striped blazers) but the too-tight pants really mess up the look. For fashion-hounds like Gatsby, the Oxford bag look would be much more the thing than these Don Draper peg-legs.

I kind of wish they were offering a detachable collar shirt, too :) And maybe some knickers...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace