Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Panamabob said:
True: Genuine Panama Hat. Cuenca Brisa Grade 2/3 somewhere along there.

ultrafino2.jpg

False: Ultrafino Montecristi Panama Hat. Actually Cuenca Brisa Grade 2/3.

ultrafino1.jpg

False: Ultrafino Montecristi Panama Hat. Actually Cuenca Brisa Grade 2/3.

ultrafino3.jpg

False: Hand Woven in Montecristi. No, hand woven in Azogues or Canar Province.

ultrafino4.jpg

False: Blocked in USA. No, pressed in Cuenca on a very nice hat press.

ultrafino4.jpg

I've been waiting for proof, since every time I win one on auction they don't send it to me. Now I have proof.

Shame on you Yuri and Ivonne, Tomatesa, Ultrafino.

Now that's why this denomintion of origin and quality would be needed. Such BS hat labelling totally destroys the image of the Montercristi panama hats.
Such fakers should be penalized. Thanks for doing this Bob.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Also duped by Ultrafino

I had the same experience recently, purchased what Ultrafino called a Montecristi USA hand blocked super fino fedora that they claimed took over four weeks to make. Paid $100. Received a Cuenca hat that was machine blocked and had a 10x12 wpi (120 cuenta) which is barely a sub fino and looked like it took a day to make...worth maybe $20. See the thread "Panama Hat" that I started about this hat experience and to see photos.

I then ordered a hat from Panamabob for $80, that due to a measurement error was unfortunately the wrong size, but was seriously better quality than the Ultrafino and for less money. PB ordered a replacement from Montecristi and I can't wait to get it.

PB is a pro, is honest, and a valuable contributor to the Fedora Lounge IMHO.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
A new member, TES, offered to share with us images of what is probably the highest possible quality of Panama hat. TES purchased this item at great expense from Brent Black. It was woven by Simon Espinal.

TES emailed the photos to me and I offered to put them in this section of TFL for him, and for all to enjoy. A marvelous masterpiece of modern weaving.

The link below is to the Photobucket page where these images reside:
http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/harpplayergene/TESs Brent Black Panama/

IMG_5730_B929Cr1s_50x5375_1.jpg

b929f1cr_IMG_0850_1.jpg

b929lk1cr_IMG_0836_1.jpg

b929lk2cr_IMG_0854_1.jpg

b929p1cr_IMG_0843_1.jpg

Reactions: DRB

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Thank you TES

TES,

Thank you for sharing this masterpiece of Montecristi art -as it seems human hands and eyes stop by 0,5 mm.
Fedora Lounge becomes a true panama hat museum including contemporary and classic masterpieces.
Reverence to the artist and the collector who appreciates and also sacrifices.
Thanks for sharing.
Gene, thanks for your help.

Tom

P.S.: This hat deserves an own thread

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
After a whole season of wearing a size 7 1/2, when I put my 7 3/8 Shantung on last week I realized - I no longer wear a size 7 3/8. So now the hunt is on for another summer hat. I haven't found anything that speaks to me yet, however.

I'm kinda liking the brown panamas, but I'm worried they're too casual for business wear.

-Dave

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Snazzy! Congratulations on a fantastic hat, TES. I'd be scared to death to wear it!

As an aside, I'd have to remove that pin were it me, not because of any anti-BB bias, but for the same reason that Borsalino shouldn't write their name across their bows.

TES

New in Town
Thanks very much to Gene for his generously making up for my lack of technical facility and posting at least some of the photos I could get to him. The hat pin was gone before the hat came out of the box, I don't think Mr. Black was offended in the least.

I have been reading many of your threads here on the subject of the Montecristi and it remains an abiding mystery to me the relative scarcity of hats like the vintage FDR scored by Gene. I think many of you, Hungary Tom included, are thoroughly engrossed by the topic. I am too. I wonder, for instance, whether the FDR hat and comparable ones really were turned out in more quantity way back when. I assume the President would probably have purchased a pretty good example of the kind, relative to others available. Would something like an Espinal hat have been more run of the mill in 1940 than it may be today? I'm not sure anybody really knows, but it's an interesting question, no?

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another optimo

Since we've been bothering poor old HPG about the optimo block,
I thought I'd post my "other" optimo. I'm guessing it's 20s or 30s.

3564324969_60ce152660_b.jpg

Obligatory ruler shot:
3564322755_bf22890784.jpg

Here's what we long oval unfortunates live for:
3565144798_ddabdf2b40.jpg

And here is the odd liner. Like a boater:
3565149084_1e956a91cd.jpg

Finally, since I know certain parties will want to see the logo:
3564329433_1cdc5543da.jpg

Not sure if you can tell from the photo, but the gold is unusually
red in this logo.

Okay, now I've posted four hats I haven't posted before- this one, a Cav 100 in the
Conversion Corral, a new thread for my 5X Clear Beaver, and a Churchill Beaver 35
in the Other Open Roads thread. Lefty can't complain for a while.:p

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Wow, feltfan, you're really posting some great hats today. :eusa_clap

edit: I missed that last line. Complaining is in my blood. If you think four or your countless unseen treasures are going to shut me up, then you sir, are sorely mistaken. :p

RBH

Bartender
Rick Blaine said:
Brown_Panama_front.jpg

Brown_Panama_rear.jpg

Brown_Panama_R.jpg

Brown_Panama_L.jpg

Brown_Panama_Indide.jpg

Butt ugly pug, but I'll switch that out. Nice high crown with a loose weave that will hopefully vent well, a lovely color & a perfect fit for only forty clams + shipping. It has a bit of a brim issue (lack of "swoop") but I'll soon straighten (warp?) that out & post a photo w/ it on my bean. Just in time for the sweltering southern summer.
Rick, I have one [simular to this one] coming from PanamaBob in a couple of weeks.
I hope you post a noggin shot soon!
The color is what grabbed me first and I would like to see what type ribbon you put on yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred