Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

CRH

Call Me a Cab
High Pockets said:
Here are a few photos I took just a few minutes ago of the Montecristi Extra Fino that Panama Bob had made for me. ...

Well done, HP. I can see some of the lighter colored vs. darker colored fibers in the third picture. I like that.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Thank you gentleman but all I did was order it,....Bob, one of his weavers and Art did all the work! They deserve the kudos!

And I have to agree carouselvic, I love it, and it's sulphur,...who'd a thunk it?!

I hope the new Montecristi smell doesn't wear off like that new car smell or that new wife smell!:)

RBH

Bartender
High Pockets said:
Here are a few photos I took just a few minutes ago of the Montecristi Extra Fino that Panama Bob had made for me. He sent to to be finished by Art Fawcett and I cannot telll you what an incredible hat this is. The color, the smell, the finish,.....heck, the weave looks as tight as canvas for crying out loud!

Thank you both so much Robert and Art,....I've had a ton of compliments on it already from friends on facebook to folks at Mass this morning!

100_0272.jpg

100_0279.jpg

100_0273.jpg

100_0281.jpg
That is sweet!
Lets see it on!
Also what are the specs?

hogateb

New in Town
Aureliano said:
Some Panama hats have a tip sticker in that spot.
Like this: (you can make your own with an old liner or fabric and glue it or stick it with double sided tape)
DSC04767.jpg

Thanks Aureliano. I will give that a shot. Definitely will keep my head from being stuck.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Send me an email with your address and I'll send you a tip sticker. Alternatively, you can cut those strands off with a sharp object. Razor blades are a common sight in hat finishers homes and offices.

hogateb

New in Town
Panamabob said:
Send me an email with your address and I'll send you a tip sticker. Alternatively, you can cut those strands off with a sharp object. Razor blades are a common sight in hat finishers homes and offices.

Thanks for the offer Panamabob, but it is not necessary for you to ship a tip sticker. I don't mind to work on the hat myself, just did not want to do any damage by trimming the straw and causing something to come undone. Better to ask before jumping in and breaking something. One of those lessons that takes a few of those "OOPS" moments before you start asking before moving forward with something.

Great hat for my first Panama from everything that I can tell, and since it was so affordable, I am not worried about wearing and tweaking it. Again, I was very impressed with your turn around time and the hat for the money! I can see how one could get a rather large hat collection in a short amount of time.

It's funny, I just started wearing this hat on Friday, and I already had a couple of folks in the office asking about it, where it came from etc. One of them is even talking about picking one up. I'll send 'em your way for sure!

jporgeck

Familiar Face
A fish looking for the baited hook

Panamabob said:
Another custom Air Conditioned style. Off to the blocker.

airconditioned2.JPG

Panama Bob, do you still have access to a fino Monticristi's like this? 2 3/4" - 3" brim. I'm interested if you do. What do they call these air conditioned styles, semi-caldo or something along those lines?

hogateb

New in Town
hogateb said:
Thanks for the offer Panamabob, but it is not necessary for you to ship a tip sticker. I don't mind to work on the hat myself, just did not want to do any damage by trimming the straw and causing something to come undone. ...snip...

Well, I cut down the straw(s) that were poking me and now it is like there is nothing on my head.

Neil

A-List Customer
Chaos in Ecuador?

I was interested in PB's remark that he's stopped promising weave counts because of the chaos in Ecuador. At the risk of reavealing the extent of my ignorance, what's going on down there that prevents selling by weave count?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Neil said:
I was interested in PB's remark that he's stopped promising weave counts because of the chaos in Ecuador. At the risk of reavealing the extent of my ignorance, what's going on down there that prevents selling by weave count?

Very interesting question indeed. Besides the political turmoil that is a constant and has been going on since god's birthday, I can't think of anything. I asked my family over there and they said that things are the same, meaning as bad as they have always been.[huh]

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
The chaos includes the lack of rain from last year that is causing the scarcity of product (paja) for weaving in the mountains and the scarcity and subsequent price increase on Montecristis due to one company scooping up a large number of hats and not following buyer tradition. It hurts many of the middlemen and only one person is getting rich, along with a few choice weavers. I've also heard that they're buying paja in other countries in order to continue weaving in the mountains.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Panamabob said:
The chaos includes the lack of rain from last year that is causing the scarcity of product (paja) for weaving in the mountains and the scarcity and subsequent price increase on Montecristis due to one company scooping up a large number of hats and not following buyer tradition. It hurts many of the middlemen and only one person is getting rich, along with a few choice weavers. I've also heard that they're buying paja in other countries in order to continue weaving in the mountains.

That's right! the lack of rain! my sister did mention that the hydroelectric plant in the south--only suplier--was dry and the goverment had to start scheduled blackouts to save energy. What a mess...

Reactions: DRB

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Aureliano said:
That's right! the lack of rain! my sister did mention that the hydroelectric plant in the south--only suplier--was dry and the goverment had to start scheduled blackouts to save energy. What a mess...

Does this mean that there isn't enough rain on the Pacific coast of Ecuador in Manabi???? The land's end that sticks into the Pacific? A place where the climate is normally equadorial or equatorial rain forest?
Climate change is that crass or did this ever happen before?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
HungaryTom said:
Does this mean that there arn't enough rains on the Pacific coast of Ecuador in Manabi???? The land's end that sticks into the Pacific? A place where the climate is normally equadorial or equatorial rain forest?
Climate change is that crass or did this happen before?

This has been happening on and off. The last time it happened I was still living in Quito. About 10 years ago I'd say. The hydroelectric plant is located in the south of the country in the province of Azogues, near Cuenca. I don't know how its function--or lack of it I should say--affects the coast these days. My family lives in Quito. After my father died all the property he had near Manta and Santo Domingo was sold and my relatives relocated near the capital. Bottom line is that it hasn't been raining and that, according to Pbob, is affecting the hat industry. I don't doubt Pbob is right. It has happened before when, because of the lack of rain, all the harvest is ruined. My poor little country/[huh] :( Between the corrupt government and the weather I don't really know how they survive.

Reactions: DRB

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
panama shrinkage?

I have a relatively inexpensive capas design panama (have to double check the brand again). anyway it was a 7 3/8. but alas after a few summers of sweat its too tight.

is it possible to stretch this back or will the straw crack?

it is a leather sweat- so i assume that is what shrank here.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
jporgeck said:
Panama Bob, do you still have access to a fino Monticristi's like this? 2 3/4" - 3" brim. I'm interested if you do. What do they call these air conditioned styles, semi-caldo or something along those lines?

Semi-Calado`s they are, and I am sure PB can sort you out. Diagonal or patterned weave is the choice you will have to make...;)

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
cybergentleman said:
I have a relatively inexpensive capas design panama (have to double check the brand again). anyway it was a 7 3/8. but alas after a few summers of sweat its too tight.

is it possible to stretch this back or will the straw crack?

it is a leather sweat- so i assume that is what shrank here.

In my experience, the brim flanging (upturn) cannot take stretching much...worth a try, but you will soon realise if its worth to continue or not...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles