Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
By the way, you have probably seen the site already ... maybe you even mentioned it earlier. I don't recall.

But if you have not seen it, you will want to visit Brent Black's website. It's beautiful and very informative with regard to Panama hats generally ... ;)

http://www.brentblack.com

buler

I'll Lock Up
There are references to optimo style hats as early as 1902 in google news. It seems that it was linked to the image on Optimo Cigar advertising.... maybe this has already been discussed before.

B

optimo_cigar.jpg

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone, want to introduce myself and make my first post. I'm looking at a PanamaBob Caballero style hat, and would love to see some more pictures of them; without bothering Bob for them. I have searched through the threads and have seen some but none from the side showing how the brim curves. Anyone have some they would like to share? I think I'd like a fedora styles hat with a turn up brim in the rear and think the Caballero might fit the bill, but I can't quite tell. Thanks everyone; David!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Nothing to do with the current conversation. But I'm guessing that the straw lovers who follow this thread will enjoy this 1924 ad ... ;)

67d37a46.jpg

WineGuy

A-List Customer
ksargent said:
Greetings all,

If one is planning to spend $150 or so on a Panama Bob hat, is that money better spent on one of the mid-range to nicer Cuencas or a lower-end Montecristi? I am thinking along the lines of an Extra-Fino Llano Cuenca vs. either a Medio Fino or a Fino Montecristi (hand blocked in Ecuador). To complicate matters, I am very warm-natured and perspire heavily (I live in Pensacola on the Gulf Coast), so some ventilation is probably a plus in my case.

Regards
Ken

Hi Ken, what ever style you choose, give it to Art or any of the other masters for blocking, it will be money well spent. Art sends you a conformer device to take an actual mold of your head shape which let's him block the hat to exactly your fit...I don't know if the other milliners do that.

The hat below is a Montecristi from PB, 600wpi, 2 3/4"brim, teardrop crown and blocked by Art.

4.jpg

Reactions: DRB

ksargent

New in Town
That is a beautiful hat!

Ken

WineGuy said:
Hi Ken, what ever style you choose, give it to Art or any of the other masters for blocking, it will be money well spent. Art sends you a conformer device to take an actual mold of your head shape which let's him block the hat to exactly your fit...I don't know if the other milliners do that.

The hat below is a Montecristi from PB, 600wpi, 2 3/4"brim, teardrop crown and blocked by Art.

4.jpg

ksargent

New in Town
I very much appreciate the answers! So much so, that I will impose with another noobie question. I have heard about Panamas being foldable, but had no idea exactly how they were folded until I came across a picture in the forum - basically lengthwise with the brim forming a kind of clamshell. I could not imagine folding my Stetson Centerdent in such a fashion - I still cringe to hear the straw crackle when I snap the brim. Is my hat simply not of foldable stock? Or are these things more flexible than they appear?

Thanks
Ken

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
Being a noob myself this may not be 100% completely correct and it seems to differ with who you talk with. While living in St. Augustine, FL I went to the Panama Hat Shop in downtown frequently and they always strongly recommended not folding a panama. I would imagine the only hats you could fold would be the better made softer hats that don't ahve stiffener in them, but you would inevitable mess up the brim or the blocking and it would probably have to be prematurely fixed. Here is the link to the shop's FAQ page.
http://www.perfectpanamas.com/faq.php

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Even if it's a rollable/packable/foldable Panama, you're still decreasing its lifespan by folding it, which is why they don't recommend it. It's that old adage, "Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

I'll leave the final word to Panamabob, but I would say that everything in that FAQ is 100% accurate.

Arkie773/4

New in Town
I love the green ribbon. It's my favorite color and goes with the the color of the straw well. A nice lid indeed.
mayserwegener said:
I pickup this Cuenca at W & W this past weekend. I like the ribbon / bow and the straw has a nice tone and feel.

4724880172_b7ac20503d_b.jpg

4724228557_941a2f9610_b.jpg

4724228627_2e317fd4da_b.jpg

4724880634_042537557c_b.jpg

4724228835_a40d06f305_b.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
source

“Wacko Maria has produced an exclusive snake-skin embellished Panama hat for Tokyo retailer Blackflag. The hat comes in black straw with a dyed snake band in red or pink. Available starting Saturday, June 26, 2010″

Wacko-Maria-x-Blackflag-Straw-Hat.jpg

ksargent

New in Town
Don't mean to go off topic here, but I have tried to PM a member from this discussion and have not been allowed to. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Ken

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I don't think this is really a panama- frankly I don't know quite what to make of it, other than that its very old and interesting.

34561_412460880908_630485908_4371904_3950425_n.jpg

34561_412460885908_630485908_4371905_7765415_n.jpg

Madagascar?
IMG_2497.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW