Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Lokar

A-List Customer
I bought two panamas from Bob a little over a month ago and they've just arrived. I've also never posted my Christy's panama and I thought I'd show that too. It's the "superfine preset". The two hats from Bob were a really cheap grueso for working at the allotment and a sub-fino montecristi that I can roll up for travelling - both very cheap hats, so if there are any other students like me out there who want panamas, this is probably the quality you'll be looking at.

The poor grueso arrived with a really warped wavy brim but it's looking better already (and as said, it's my beater anyway, so it's fine).

Lastly, I've seen all the posts about a sort of "montecristi fever" when you finally get one and I've been rolling my eyes at the idea, but .. you guys are right. I already want a new one with a tighter weave. This is going to get expensive... ;)

Christy's superfine (£50/$80)

Grueso (havana crown, 2 3/8" brim) ($38)

Sub fino montecristi (optimo crown, cloth sweatband, 2 3/4" brim) ($85)

Last edited:
Reactions: DRB

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
rolled Montecristi...blocked by Optimo in Chicago

ribbon color is dark green
008ovq.jpg

001vyr.jpg

002fw.jpg

003tw.jpg

004sve.jpg

if I could rub two nickels together, I'd have a dime to lay on the hat, but poor people have poor ways....

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
A few posts ago someone linked to this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2010/07/09/f-vp-macdonald.html

Can anyone, please, let me know the shape/model name (as per Panama Bob's website: http://panamas.biz/cuenca.html) of the Panama the prince is wearing (picture with the Queen on the left in blue). That is the model I'm after, but can't figure out the difference between cuencano, havana, caballero, rio plata...

I will be, very much, grateful for someone to clear this up :) Thank you!

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Jantjeuh, Some of you other guys chime in, but I am pretty sure that is a Cuencano or possibly a Havana either way its a center dent and not a C crown (correct me if I'm wrong). Here is a link to a different pic that lets you see it a little better http://listverse.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/1038252847.jpg... however I am not 100% sure its the same hat as the link you posted ... my link looks like a lot looser weave (which surprises me for Prince Philip to be wearing) and possibly a Cuenca due to the sewn edge. The one in the link you sent looks like higher quality. Maybe he has two with the same ribbon or got a new one as the link I posted may be an old shot. I would also say it is a 2 1/2 brim ... the Prince looks like he has a big noggin and large ears so if you don't have those dimensions in order to achieve the same "look" you will need to go with a slightly smaller brim ... like a 2 1/4.

Anyone else concur or object???

Kk

email68

One of the Regulars
My first Panama came in the mail today. Its from PB. I don't know much about it other than PB said it was a montecristi. I emailed him about a hat and gave him my size. He had this one in stock which had a narrower brim than I liked, but he made a good price on it because of that.

Looks great to me. Only thing I think the ribbon was put on in a rush, it looks way too far forward to me. What do you think?

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

-Tim

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Agreed! Great quality hat but PB ribbons are poor to say the least ... I sent mine to Art Fawcett and had him put a ribbon on it for me ... Vintage ribbon and high quality ribbon work for very little cost!!!! I do like the green though!!!!

email68

One of the Regulars
Agreed! Great quality hat but PB ribbons are poor to say the least ... I sent mine to Art Fawcett and had him put a ribbon on it for me ... Vintage ribbon and high quality ribbon work for very little cost!!!! I do like the green though!!!!

Thanks for the idea. Off to Art it goes. Already packaged up!

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
Hey guys, while I'm awaiting Panama bob's answer, would anyone by any chance be able to post a picture of what a Fino Llano Cuenca looks like? I'm pretty sure with my budget, I can not really afford an MC, but a 100USD Cuenca would be fine. However, does it still look like a very rough straw hat, or is it already a littl ebit more fine looking?

Ps: The hats posted in this thread are just wonderful...

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
My first Panama came in the mail today. Its from PB. I don't know much about it other than PB said it was a montecristi. I emailed him about a hat and gave him my size. He had this one in stock which had a narrower brim than I liked, but he made a good price on it because of that.

Looks great to me. Only thing I think the ribbon was put on in a rush, it looks way too far forward to me. What do you think?

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

-Tim

It does look too forward. Sorry. Ouch, you guys, I read this too. Sorry about our poor quality. I beg people to buy USA blocked hats. I spend hours and hours on emails and give the best prices possible, but would love to only sell USA blocked/finished hats.

Last edited:

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab

Sorry! I beg members here to buy USA blocked hats. Some sneak attacks happen, meaning that I don't know they are members here. As I say on the website, you can't beat the USA blocks/finishes....and you can't change Ecuadorians (sorry any Ecuadorians out there, but you know what I mean).

Last edited:

email68

One of the Regulars
Sorry! I beg members here to buy USA blocked hats. Some sneak attacks happen, meaning that I don't know they are members here. As I say on the website, you can't beat the USA blocks/finishes....and you can't change Ecuadorians (sorry any Ecuadorians out there, but you know what I mean).

I wasn't a sneak attack. You contacted me via the forum. LOL. It would not have changed anything on my end. This hat was already blocked. I guess maybe you would have tried harder on the ribbon since it was put on after the purchase ;-)

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I wasn't a sneak attack. You contacted me via the forum. LOL. It would not have changed anything on my end. This hat was already blocked. I guess maybe you would have tried harder on the ribbon since it was put on after the purchase ;-)

I didn't mean it that way. I just sometimes see hats on here and didn't know the people were lounge members.

I can check emails, but I generally give an in house price and a price for having things done by a hatter. My wife does her best, but doesn't always "listen" to me about the ribbons. She's going to millinery classes this fall, so all should go better soon.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Couldn't issues like this be avoided with a thorough inspection of the hat before the seller/vendor ships it?...
It seems a tad careless to ship something that sloppy looking whether blocked here or elsewhere or sewn by a hatter or not. Unless of course the seller doesn't physically have the hats nearby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy