Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Brent Black Skinny Brim
hats003.jpg

199094_10150118404431356_564136355_6986094_648725_n.jpg
hats004.jpg
hats003-1.jpg

Bump! The thread is getting long, and this great hat is lost already!

Sans Witt

New in Town
I had originally ordered his best quality skinny brim...and after several hours on the phone, he had told me about one particular hat that had been woven to a higher quality than any of the others he currently had...Fortunately or unfortunately that hat was able to be block into my size.

wing-nut

New in Town
I have some ribbon and the hat, just waiting to see how you did that. On a side note, cut PB some slack.

He is also a full time teacher and a full time hat broker. From what I've seen he gives a pretty good hat for a fair price. I would hate to give PB the feeling of regret every time he logs on to the lounge.

T Rick

Practically Family
Would anyone be interested in a tutorial on how I changed out that ribbon?
I sure would!

And another note of support for PB, I'm thrilled with the 3 I got from him a few months ago. I think I may have ruined one today though, wore it to Epcot Center, 90 degree plus day. At some point, it picked up a whole lot of dirt and stains from sweating (might be able to clean it, I don't think it was so much the sweat, as it was dirt that clung to the areas around the band where I was sweating). But that says nothing about the hat, I got a fantastic deal and am REALLY pleased with the value I received on these. I think I got far more hat than I paid for, and I suspect that is more often than not the case with Bob.

Can't blame him for thinking about sticking only to American blocked and finished hats, but I hope he doesn't do that. Some of us still have an appreciation for a great deal, and the ribbon is really no big deal (even if I can't do it myself, which I may be able to, a decent Hatter can change it very inexpensively).

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Hmm... it's just odd that you'd ship a sloppy looking hat to a customer. What if said client wasn't a lounger? I don't want to start anything as we (I) tend to get a bit heated when panama hats take this direction. If it was me I would have told my wife to do it over or at least re-stitch the thing a few centimeters back. Or I'd put a note on my website saying that hats blocked in house might be a bit sloppy so the client knows what to expect.
But I digress from the thread and apologize for that. Let's go back to it saying that that BBB short brim looks awesome!

Thanks for the advice. I'll reword some things on the website to make it clear that USA is the way to go.

Exactly what I meant. You shouldn't have to.

He, in essence, isn't paying for the work twice. He paid $95 for the hat, $12.00 for the ship, so really $83 for the hat. USA finishing costs extra. He didn't pay extra until now. For what it's worth, I've refunded $25.00.

If you did not want to heat things up, why did you post this type of reply?

Because he dislikes my opinions on certain things about the hats and my opinion and perception of the times I've lived in Ecuador. Also, I called BBB a naughty name or something. I do know that BBB is paying some weavers well now. That's a good thing.

I have some ribbon and the hat, just waiting to see how you did that. On a side note, cut PB some slack.

He is also a full time teacher and a full time hat broker. From what I've seen he gives a pretty good hat for a fair price. I would hate to give PB the feeling of regret every time he logs on to the lounge.

Thank you. The mods know that I've asked to pull my membership a couple of times.

I sure would!

And another note of support for PB, I'm thrilled with the 3 I got from him a few months ago. I think I may have ruined one today though, wore it to Epcot Center, 90 degree plus day. At some point, it picked up a whole lot of dirt and stains from sweating (might be able to clean it, I don't think it was so much the sweat, as it was dirt that clung to the areas around the band where I was sweating). But that says nothing about the hat, I got a fantastic deal and am REALLY pleased with the value I received on these. I think I got far more hat than I paid for, and I suspect that is more often than not the case with Bob.

Can't blame him for thinking about sticking only to American blocked and finished hats, but I hope he doesn't do that. Some of us still have an appreciation for a great deal, and the ribbon is really no big deal (even if I can't do it myself, which I may be able to, a decent Hatter can change it very inexpensively).

Again, thanks.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Because he dislikes my opinions on certain things about the hats and my opinion and perception of the times I've lived in Ecuador. Also, I called BBB a naughty name or something. I do know that BBB is paying some weavers well now. That's a good thing.

hmm... I mostly agree with you about Ecuador and my ex country-men. I'm glad to hear you know about BB.

Last edited:

DocMustang

One of the Regulars

I meant no offense. I truly appreciate what he does for the weavers and what he does for us here at the lounge. I will take his advice though and order my next hat from him and have it blocked in the US.

I am working on the tutorial. Now that I am in the middle of it, I am realizing that it really does take some skill with a needle. I have been costuming and sewing for 20+ years including dabbling in millinery (nothing more than essays, but I have made several hats from scratch). I am realizing that it takes some understanding of how fabric (and grossgrain in particular) behaves as well as how to use needle and thread to get a proper shape. I will post step by step pictures as to how I constructed the bow and ensured the proper taper on the hatband.

Reactions: DRB

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the advice. I'll reword some things on the website to make it clear that USA is the way to go.

He, in essence, isn't paying for the work twice. He paid $95 for the hat, $12.00 for the ship, so really $83 for the hat. USA finishing costs extra. He didn't pay extra until now. For what it's worth, I've refunded $25.00.

Thank you. The mods know that I've asked to pull my membership a couple of times.

Again, thanks.

I'm sure our resident EXPERT on Panama's will loan you his MAGIC DIME to show how good your hats are . :rolleyes:

email68

One of the Regulars

Again, thanks.

Exactly. I feel like the hat alone is worth the base price. I only posted photos here asking about the ribbon/placement. I'm glad I did because I got the tip to send it to Art.

I never felt that I would not buy from you again, because I would. Just with a little more experience on what to expect. It would be as simple as having you leave off the ribbon and shipping it to Art for finishing.

I do appreciate the gesture. Thank you.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure our resident EXPERT on Panama's will loan you his MAGIC DIME to show how good your hats are . :rolleyes:

You should go back to the Akubra threads, if you can find the right ones, and understand that I've never posted a photo of my panama with a dime. That photo wasn't mine, the hat wasn't mine, the poor weaving wasn't mine, the blocking wasn't mine, and the sale wasn't mine.

Instead, it was an example of the kind of poor quality hat (again, it's not my hat, though my hat is similarly, unevenly woven) that people who don't seem to know any better praise as "exactly the same as those sold by the 'big guys', but for a fraction of the price." It might be a good value for the money, but it's not the same thing.

You get what you pay for, the high price of buying cheap, etc.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
You should go back to the Akubra threads, if you can find the right ones, and understand that I've never posted a photo of my panama with a dime. That photo wasn't mine, the hat wasn't mine, the poor weaving wasn't mine, the blocking wasn't mine, and the sale wasn't mine.

Instead, it was an example of the kind of poor quality hat (again, it's not my hat, though my hat is similarly, unevenly woven) that people who don't seem to know any better praise as "exactly the same as those sold by the 'big guys', but for a fraction of the price." It might be a good value for the money, but it's not the same thing.

You get what you pay for, the high price of buying cheap, etc.

You make a good point. I will defer to YOUR EXPERTISE. Let's see, I got my first Panama back in 1960 and your how old ? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR