Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Bob

New in Town
Who makes the best and least expensive panama? Anyone have a vintage 7 1/8 for sale? I've nearly got enough posts to show off my own collection of great looking lids.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Bob, if you look in the Classifieds forum, there's a really nice vintage panama that Tom-n-Perris is selling.

It's your size and Tom does a fantastic job of blocking and finishing these hats.

Check it out here

I would have bought this myself, but Tom is already making me one.

Last edited:

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Lefty, you infer that I'm a liar and a cheat once again. Thank you.

There are plenty of people who have spent $800 with us and $800 with the others. They know what kinds of hats they've gotten. Well respected members here have spent 1K with the others and $200 with us and have been well pleased.

Aureliano, I only form opinions based on experiences in your country as a born and bred Midwestern USA male.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My .o2

I have said it before & I'll say it again; I have purchased a half dozen inexpensive Panamas from PB over the last number of years, both for my own use & as gifts. Neither I nor the recipients of those given as gifts has ever done other than compliment their quality and comfort. And for my part; the value- I HAVE gotten more hat for my dollar w/ PB. Without question.

He has been a comforting presence in my years here, often absent but always returning. He has generously shared his hard won knowledge and TFL is better for having him.

FWIW- Mr. Bob has also pushed back the frontiers of my ignorance (both wide & deep) regarding Panama Hats as well as on other subjects of note. My hat's off to the man. :eusa_clap

wing-nut

New in Town
Panama Bob, Lefty, Aureliano, and others, let's not forget it is our LOVE of hats from another era that once drew us to this forum. If you have a beef with each other why not take care of it once and for all by private message or email? I feel like I've walked in on a long standing argument and too much is being said through passive/aggressive innuendo.

Air it out, agree on your issues and make it right as best you can. If you will never buy another hat from him, fine. If you won't take another dime from him, fine.

Please continue to contribute to the admiration of fine hats and reassure those who are looking for guidance and support in a hobby that is always on public display. Your input is invaluable in that context.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano, I only form opinions based on experiences in your country as a born and bred Midwestern USA male.

And again, I mostly agree with your views of Ecuador and it's people.

Wing-nut. I agree with you and have, many times, PMed PBob.
My comments are never offensive but point out, always, quality control and business ethics not only of the vendor in question here, but of others dealing with hats in general, not only panama. I believe that this sort of post is also valuable to new buyers. Always with respect, sometimes strong but respectful just as, and I have to say it, lefty has been too in my opinion.

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
Bob, let me know if you want any help with your site. No charge. Like you, I'm a small businessman doing ecommerce on the internet. I'll do it because I like what you do and I'm a fellow hoosier. I'm pretty good with computers and web sites. I'd be happy to improve the look and feel of your site. The only cost would be a couple of hundred bucks to buy a new database-driven shopping cart. PM me if interested.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Though it is sometimes hard to believe, these hats are made by humans--as is the pricing. Most pricing structures emphasize wpsi over other factors. Grading and pricing beyond this involves judgement and close inspection and some vendors may increase or lower the price on the basis of minor faults or particularly special qualities. I don't claim to be an expert, but positives would be pleasing color and its uniformity, consistent gauge of fibers. Tightness and consistency of weave, including straight column and row alignment with consistent size and a smooth edge contour with the backweave showing the same qualities. The Panamabob hat I have(I was given some options with clear photos) surpasses my Brent Black with more than double the weave count in almost all of these criteria. The hats are not all of the same quality level from any vendor I am aware of. Even Optimo's high standards leave some hats demoted or elevated within the price structure because of certain qualities. Get good photos, consult with a trustworthy vendor, or preferably have the hat in hand with others to compare it to.
Even with matching objective qualities, each hat has a unique overall appearance- hard to quantify and a characteristic that makes these hats truly special.

I'm not discussing the preparation,blocking and trimming of the hat here which is another set of variables in quality and pricing that is not so obvious in photos.

I would suspect that if you specified your concern for the quality of the weave as much as wpsi most vendors would do their best to comply.

Last edited:

Edward_Lindey

One of the Regulars
I just had my new Panama shipped to Tom in Perris. It is my first Panama hat and I am quite pleased with it except that the sweat band was a piece of ribbon. Tom has installed a new sheep skin sweat band for me. The hat is a center creased colonial style with 528MC.

For how fine this one is I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of hats of greater quality siting beside each other. My hat is allready the finest weave straw hat I have held and am intrested in seeing where other hats sit. Also what is the benefit of having a finer weave hat?

Thanks,

Edward

rlk

I'll Lock Up
After a certain level of fineness Art takes precedence over function. Admiration of craft and beauty. The hat gets lighter which can lead to a floppier hat and paranoia over the potential loss of investment...

Omne

Familiar Face
I just got my straw hat from Mike Moore. This was one of the hats made from the 50 year old blanks that were found in a factory storeroom.
3a.jpg

2a.jpg

4a.jpg

1a.jpg

I'm very happy! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: DRB

Omne

Familiar Face
Great hat, but I believe it is a buntal of some kind.

After doing some research you could be right. Until your post I hadn't heard the word buntal before. I appreciate the comment, I learned a lot digging around into types of straw and hats.
I edited my posts to indicate straw rather than Panama.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I just ordered a Teardrop from PanamaBob's discount page. I had actually planned to spend some money on a decent Montecristi, but Robert says that would be a special order in my huge hat size. So....the Monecristi Classic C will have to wait until the fall and be next summer's Panama hat. In the meantime, I'm watching the mail every day...like a kid at Christmas...for my new Teardrop and my new Heritage Camp Draft!

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot