Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
I will post later, pictures of my first panama hat(s) from PB himself. Totally worth the wait! I already have another order lined up, but will have to leave some breathing room for the misses to accept it haha, perhaps next summer.

I already thanked him privately, but I'd like to express my sincere thanks to Panamabob for helping pick out a hat and absolutely not wanting to rip me off (he offered a hat well below my budget, and WAY above my expectations!). Anyone in doubt, this guy has some seriously nice hats around, I should know, I just received a package of three :p

One is for the lady of the house, and she likes it very much. Actually she also received another one from PB but via ebay win, which she absolutely is in love with it seems. I on the other hand got a brown Optimo, which is totally strange to me but I'm happy I got it (I got it purely for vacation hehe). Then I also got a very nice, selected by PB, cuenca, which just feels so light and awesome, I could not be happier with it, this is the panama hat I was hoping but certainly not expecting to get. I knew I was a summer hat guy (straw and what not), but this is just an entirely new level for me! Knowing it was made by hand also kinda makes you respect the hat more when you store it away :)

Thank you PB, if I would live in the US and shipping charges wouldn't be such a pain (not your fault of course) I'd be ordering another set right now :) Enjoy your trip, and please do bring back some nice hats :)

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
Ok let's see if this works:
339t94x.jpg

Not a good picture with an even worse camera..

It is not a montecristi, it is a simple cuenca, in the shape Cuencano. And it is a 'fine weave', what exactly that constitutes I don't really know. All I know is that it looks how I had described it to him wanting it to look :)

What I can not describe, is the weight/lightness of the hat. The weight difference between these hats and normal straw hats is amazing, I'd say they are easily half the weight of them, and if they'd be any lighter they'd float!

Edit: And I really like the small tiny imperfections on the hat, really shows that it is handmade. I agree with everyone stating that these hats are not hats but art. Art that looks good on my noggin' ;-)

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
And finally also my brown optimo crown :) I'm tempted to switch the ribbons between the hats, but am too scared to mess it up indeed..

1zgyph2.jpg

Reactions: DRB

new2hats

A-List Customer
1. No really, is that crispiness the sound of the weaves being damaged or is it okay?
2. I think my question lies more with shaping the dents in the fedora. When they arrived new I used a steam to try to reshape the dents, but not sure if it will stay...

mattface

Practically Family
My bob shrank a bunch today as a result of my sweating into it. I guess its a good thing it was a little large when I got it. it fits much better now!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Got my hat from http://panamas.biz/specials.html Overall I'm pretty happy with it. it's a touch loose, so I put a singe layer of felt behind the band in front. The sweatband is pretty chintzy fabric, and the ribbon's also pretty chintzy, but it's a nice lightweight hat, and at the price for a hand woven hat I guess I can't complain too much about the minor details.

The good news is it fits fine with a little felt behind the band, and it's nice and cool and lightweight which is exactly what I was looking for. It looks good too, the brim doesn't snap as well as I want, but with a little attention and a hot tea kettle I should have it in just the shape I like.

All I've got so far is a cheesy webcam pic which I can't upload here, and it's not even worth uploading it to flickr. I'll post a better pic of it first chance I get.

What's the model name of the hat you got from Panama Bob, and how did you say the size fit you?

mattface

Practically Family
What's the model name of the hat you got from Panama Bob, and how did you say the size fit you?

I got the Caballerro. I'm usually a 7 1/4, and that's the size I ordered, but it was way too loose at first. It fell down on my ears. a single layer of felt in the hat band snugged it up enough to be quite wearable even while bike riding, but it was still pushing down my ears a little. Now that I've worn it and sweat in it a little, it shrank up and it fits quite snug, and sits where it's supposed to. I haven't taken the felt out yet, but I might if it shrinks any more. The photo I posted was pre-shrink.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got the Caballerro. I'm usually a 7 1/4, and that's the size I ordered, but it was way too loose at first. It fell down on my ears. a single layer of felt in the hat band snugged it up enough to be quite wearable even while bike riding, but it was still pushing down my ears a little. Now that I've worn it and sweat in it a little, it shrank up and it fits quite snug, and sits where it's supposed to. I haven't taken the felt out yet, but I might if it shrinks any more. The photo I posted was pre-shrink.

Thanks. I want to get one like it.

fmw

One Too Many
Shantung is made from paper that is treated with a resin of some sort. It is not straw in the sense that it grew naturally. "Straw" cowboy hats are made from Shantung as are some city hats.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Just in for the first day of summer :

Thanks to panamabob, it was a real pleasure to do business with him.
Thanks to tom n perris for the wonderful job!

Last edited:

Goodguyneighbor

New in Town
Picked up this old panama the other day from a guy who was selling some estate items. I think it's 1940s era from the old Kennedy's department store in Boston, back when you could get a real nice monte for $5. It's in practically brand new condition, like it was hardly ever worn. The sweatband has shrunken a bit and caused a slight dimple in the crown, but I'm hoping to gently stretch it a bit. Fits tight right now. I love the crisp blocking and golden patina. Size 7 with a 2 7/8" brim.

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Picked up this old panama the other day from a guy who was selling some estate items. I think it's 1940s era from the old Kennedy's department store in Boston, back when you could get a real nice monte for $5. It's in practically brand new condition, like it was hardly ever worn. The sweatband has shrunken a bit and caused a slight dimple in the crown, but I'm hoping to gently stretch it a bit. Fits tight right now. I love the crisp blocking and golden patina. Size 7 with a 2 7/8" brim.

Very cool!!!! Nice find!

JAVIER

Practically Family
Here is my contribution, my Dobbs pinch front Milan Braid. If anyone knows a little history on this style, lease add... its my first vintage purchased (collection has since grown). TY

select image ti enlarge.

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
My panama hats. From left to right: Homero Ortega Cuenca, my late dad's c1979 Montecristi 800+WPSI (28X29 aprox.) Worth & Worth Cuenca "Diamante", Optimo Montecristi 506 WPSI (22x23 aprox.) Tesi di Firenze Cuenca Optimo.

IMG_1233.jpg

IMG_1230.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo