Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Panama body - untrimmed, unblocked

This looks like it was made yesterday, though the seller dates it at 100 years old. I've no idea. It is a very nice piece of weaving... I might leave it in this raw form. Would be happy to hear your thoughts.

rawpanama1.jpg

rawpanama2.jpg

rawpanama3.jpg

rawpanama4.jpg

rawpanama5.jpg

rawpanama6.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
This looks like it was made yesterday, though the seller dates it at 100 years old. I've no idea. It is a very nice piece of weaving... I might leave it in this raw form. Would be happy to hear your thoughts.

rawpanama1.jpg

rawpanama2.jpg

rawpanama3.jpg

rawpanama4.jpg

rawpanama5.jpg

rawpanama6.jpg

from a collecting standpoint, it's really priceless. As far as making it into a wearable hat, personally I would not. As nice as it looks there would be some question as to whether it would stand up to all the handleing and such required to make it wearable if it's as old as it appears. I would keep it as is if it were mine. VERY,VERY nice aquisition :)

That was an incredible specimen. This body is in very good condition - I am sure that it would be formable with care and steam. The biggest issue is that it's unfinished and untrimmed. My inclination is to let it tell its story in its raw form. I do have more than enough nice straw hats to get me through our too few hot summer days. Thanks for the thoughts!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
That was an incredible specimen. This body is in very good condition - I am sure that it would be formable with care and steam. The biggest issue is that it's unfinished and untrimmed. My inclination is to let it tell its story in its raw form. I do have more than enough nice straw hats to get me through our too few hot summer days. Thanks for the thoughts!

I applaud your decision!! Not often do you get to "see" how they were before finishing . Gongratulations on a NICE example !

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Hey guys I was hoping for some insight. The wife and I were in Charleston, SC this summer and we found a little corner hat shop selling Panamas. Well this hat I eventually bought has no markings of any company that might have made it. It does have the stamp that says made in Ecuador and a sticker. Any guidance would be appreciated.
120811212114.jpg

120811212028.jpg

120811212019.jpg

120811211958.jpg

120811211950.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hey guys I was hoping for some insight. The wife and I were in Charleston, SC this summer and we found a little corner hat shop selling Panamas. Well this hat I eventually bought has no markings of any company that might have made it. It does have the stamp that says made in Ecuador and a sticker. Any guidance would be appreciated.
120811212114.jpg

120811211950.jpg

It looks to be a standard Brisa weave Cuenca Panama. It looks to have a fabric sweatband in it ? These are a nice basic Panama and should be priced no more than $30 to $45. A good hot weather Panama and it looks good on you as well :)

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
Well I overpaid for it but I like it

Don't feel too bad. Monbla has been spoiled by Panama Bob. PB often sells hats similar to that for the prices Monbla mentioned, but any high street store will sell them for $100+. I bought my first Panama, which is almost identical to yours, for around $150. The shop was a highly regarded Australian hat store in a prime retail location, Sydney Hatters. The second, a different model, but similar quality, from Bob for $35. Retail markups for reasonable but low-end Panamas are exorbitant! If you're in the market for a second panama, look at Bob's Fino Cuenca Cuencano, a VERY nice hat for $99. Oh, and enjoy the first one you bought: I still wear my first one a lot, even though I've got some much nicer ones since.

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
By the way, I looked at the label inside your hat: it is EXACTLY the same label as the one on the hat I bought in Sydney! Except that it had an additional line "Made exclusively for Sydney Hatters". So it's probably some semi-large wholesaler who's got a good share of the market, but who doesn't develop their own brand. Also, yours looks like exactly my model. Does yours have a wire around that brim to hold its shape? It's the only Panama I've got that has that, I kinda prefer it without now, but it's no big deal.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
No wire. I paid 65 dollars so I guess I didn't get ripped off too bad, but you say I need to go to panama bob with my next purchase? Is he a fedora lounger or do I just google and order from his site?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Here's Bob's site - panamas.biz

Another great resource for good Panamas is Tom-n-Perris who is a Lounger. Several of us have hats from Tom - he does a fantastic job of finishing hats (often using bodies from PB) at sensible prices.

Here's mine:

D326934-L.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
No wire. I paid 65 dollars so I guess I didn't get ripped off too bad, but you say I need to go to panama bob with my next purchase? Is he a fedora lounger or do I just google and order from his site?
PB has some of the BEST values in Panamas around. You can order any of his hats in an unfinished state and have them sent to any one you want for final creasing and finishing. Tom-n-Perris is Tom Gomez out in California whom I HIGHLY recomend you use to have your next Panama finished from. You can reach him at :
951-201-8450. He's GREAT folks to deal with. Here's my latest Montecristi, a medio Fino grade I got from PB and had him send to Tom. Some of the most beautiful work I've seen done on a Panama IMHO :)

19870009.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Do some research here. PB is certainly an option but if you go with him be extremely specific of the quality and details of your hat. Extremely. Optimo hats from Chicago will sell you amazing Montecristis, prices are high but you get some of the best. Brent Black also sells extremely high quality Montecristis. Worth and Worth in NYC has great panamas and Montecristis and their prices are affordable.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Do some research here. PB is certainly an option but if you go with him be extremely specific of the quality and details of your hat. Extremely. Optimo hats from Chicago will sell you amazing Montecristis, prices are high but you get some of the best. Brent Black also sells extremely high quality Montecristis. Worth and Worth in NYC has great panamas and Montecristis and their prices are affordable.
I could not agree with you more even though you pulled your punches in the first part....;)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Aureliano, I can understand with Optimo ( $1000 +) and BB ($600 + ), but with Worth & Worth buying from the same families, getting the same hats as Robert, is there something personal here? The same hat that W&W sells for a couple hundred Robert sells for much less. I think everyone can agree that both Graham and Brent do a fabulous job with not only making but marketing panamas but not everyone is as demanding or capable of paying their prices. Why not let Robert have the market he has carved without what seems to be personal vitriol from you & Tomasso? I mean Lyles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats