Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
Sorry if this is off topic or inappropriate here. But could someone recommend a good stater Panama hat? I'm just getting started in nice hats but I can't afford to drop several hundred dollars on a hat. Is there a good value Panama hat in the $100 range or less?
I'm experimenting with different hats trying to find out what works for me.

Sorry if this is off topic or inappropriate here. But could someone recommend a good stater Panama hat? I'm just getting started in nice hats but I can't afford to drop several hundred dollars on a hat. Is there a good value Panama hat in the $100 range or less?
I'm experimenting with different hats trying to find out what works for me.
Check out Panama Hats Direct. He is having a sale on now. I just received mine and very happy with the product and the experience. He sells varying grades at varying price points. Shipping was quick. He bulk delivers his orders to Florida and then USPS to you.

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
Well that comment is gonna cost me another $100. But I found I like the Havana. I'm thinking of getting a few extra hat bands. I wanted to ask first. How are their hatbands attached? Are they glued, sewn, or just slipped over?

JC Montecristi Hat

New in Town
Well that comment is gonna cost me another $100. But I found I like the Havana. I'm thinking of getting a few extra hat bands. I wanted to ask first. How are their hatbands attached? Are they glued, sewn, or just slipped over?
They glue on the hatbands.
These can also be interchangeable and slipped like this hat.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-04-26 at 2.46.31 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-26 at 2.46.31 PM.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 54

JC Montecristi Hat

New in Town
So it's not difficult or damaging to change them out? Good! I feel much better about it now! Probably a hot glue too.
You don't need to glue or sew the hatband; simply having it fit the shape crown of the hat is enough. The pressure will keep the hatband from coming loose off easily.

The pugaree hat bands are a better option.

I don't know how Panama hat direct hatbands work. But from the comments on the forum and the Youtube videos, I know they glue the hatbands.

Last edited:

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
Panama Hats Direct glue the hat bands, and the glue sucks.

It comes undone after a while, and the bow therefore becomes detached from the rest of the ribbon and makes the ribbon and hat look terrible when that happens.

However, I also bought another hat from them last Summer, and I requested that they sew the ribbon on this time instead of glue it, and they did that for me at no extra charge.

But I think the sewer at that time was the owner's wife, whom he has since separated from, therefore I don't know if they still sew ribbons on now with that situation, and especially since the owner is leaving the day to day operations of the business soon.

I don't recommend getting a glued ribbon though, unless you are willing and able to manually replace the glue yourself, with your own glue gun, once it become undone over time, which it most definitely will do.

Panama Hats Direct glue the hat bands, and the glue sucks.

It comes undone after a while, and the bow therefore becomes detached from the rest of the ribbon and makes the ribbon and hat look terrible when that happens.

However, I also bought another hat from them last Summer, and I requested that they sew the ribbon on this time instead of glue it, and they did that for me at no extra charge.

But I think the sewer at that time was the owner's wife, whom he has since separated from, therefore I don't know if they still sew ribbons on now with that situation, and especially since the owner is leaving the day to day operations of the business soon.

I don't recommend getting a glued ribbon though, unless you are willing and able to manually replace the glue yourself, with your own glue gun, once it become undone over time, which it most definitely will do.
The use of glue on a hat is just terrible. I asked for no ribbon on my recent purchase as I prefer to put on my own. I didn't realize they used glue so now am even more thankful to have received it 'nude'.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
The use of glue on a hat is just terrible. I asked for no ribbon on my recent purchase as I prefer to put on my own. I didn't realize they used glue so now am even more thankful to have received it 'nude'.
Yes, I was really disappointed when I saw they used glue on the PHD hat I bought a few years ago. I would say that and the sweatband are the two knocks on it.

Yes, I was really disappointed when I saw they used glue on the PHD hat I bought a few years ago. I would say that and the sweatband are the two knocks on it.
I also asked for a hat without his sweat band. I will sew a good one on myself. The weave of the hat is great...it is a fine hat and deserves a decent ribbon and sweat. I have rebuilt vintage hats and discovered that the ribbon/bow work was partially assembled with ordinary metal office staples. It is a toss up, what is worse....glue or staples!

AndyR

One of the Regulars
I also asked for a hat without his sweat band. I will sew a good one on myself. The weave of the hat is great...it is a fine hat and deserves a decent ribbon and sweat. I have rebuilt vintage hats and discovered that the ribbon/bow work was partially assembled with ordinary metal office staples. It is a toss up, what is worse....glue or staples!
You're right! I would consider the hat excellent if it had a good ribbon and sweat. Hmmm, somehow I would rather have the glue than staples, although staples might be easier to remove without causing damage.

Yamahana

One Too Many

Very nice, Bob. Old large felt hats are hard to find in large sizes and straw hats are even rarer…not that I needed to tell you. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails