Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hats

Neil

A-List Customer
I wonder what something like that cost back in the day? And was it a special order, or did stores just have hats like that sitting around on their shelves?
I'm not too keen on the pugaree, though. I'd have a new ribbon installed by a pro on a hat like that.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
My new, inexpensive, PanamaBob Diamente just arrived. Given the reasonable $44.00 price tag, I am very pleased with this hat. It doesn't have the high weave count of my PanamaBob fino Havana, but even so, I'm sure it will be a cool, comfortable everyday wearer. It has a cloth sweatband which I much prefer to leather for summer hats. It also has a slightly higher crown than my Havana, which looks better on my huge mellon, IMO.

Sorry about my scowl in the last photo. I just got out of court this morning and I hadn't had chance to take off my prosecutor's face.

Picture076-1.jpg

Picture080-1.jpg

Picture078-1.jpg

Picture074-1.jpg

AF

Neil

A-List Customer
I just got one of those, too. And we got in under the wire; I see PB has jacked the price up ten bucks. Still worth it, I think.
You know what you need in that NC heat? A semi-calado. I just got one from PB, blocked at Batsakes, and really, it is air-conditioned. No sweating on a hot day.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Got this off ebay, from panama Bob, back in January. 7 3/8ths $40.98 Delivered to my door. Dollar for dollar can't be beat.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Your hat proves my point

Hey Carouselvic,

Your hat proves my original point made when I started this thread, your hat looks like it has exactly the same weave pattern(plus the neat vent pattern) of the hat I got from Ultrafino for more than double the price you paid. If Ultrafino had charged forty bucks delivered, I'd still be wearing it today.

Enjoy it!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
WineGuy said:
As a new guy in town, I could not find a concentration on Panama Hats

I don't really understand this thread, since we've got the be-all-and-end-all of panama threads here.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
You mean the conversation about panama hats - the one for which we already have a thread - that one?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
This thread was started based upon the new guy not finding a thread that concentrated on panamas. After that, it became another boxing ring for you and an unhappy customer (which has been deleted as so many similar posts have - edit: my mistake, it's still there), and then became a "show us your panamas" thread.

For some reason, the philosophy of the Hats forum is to allow every thread, no matter how repetitive, to exist on its own. The other fora here merge threads when they cover exactly the same topic. See, for example,

The great merged "looking for spectators shoes" thread that shall rule them all!

Walking Sticks & Canes. -Merged Thread.

Vintage Sunglasses -Merged Thread-

Here, every thought of a new hat gets its own thread, the subsequent purchase gets its own thread, and the new guy who doesn't know enough to go to page 2 of the hat threads starts another thread on the same hat.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Having no agenda in the least and with no disrespect intended, I do not believe it is appropriate for any vendor to castigate a member for their comment, especially when the comment is not directed at the vendor. It seems to me that a private conversation would be more appropriate.
Panamabob said:
Lefty, again, adding greatly to the conversation.
Lefty's observation regarding the plethora of hat threads that continually address the same topic/hat is well-taken. A merging of at least some of these threads does seem to be in order.
However, I can understand how this would be a somewhat daunting task for the Bartenders.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I suppose Lefty is just stating his thoughts, like all of us (including me!). The original guy was lied to and ripped off. The Tinman always sticks a dig in on me about his floppy brim, although the hat was exactly as ordered and I bent over backwards to take care of the situation, as I always do, and he didn't want to be bothered with returning a hat.

I'll try to hold in my thoughts from now on, but don't treat new people like they are morons for not finding a post. Another thing that peeves me here is complaining when someone makes fun of your hat and shoes and then turning around and belittling someone because they prefer a ball cap and flip flops.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Obviously there are various Panama Hat threads, and obviously some threads are repetitive. But it's a forum, not a wiki, thus it's a dynamic, free-flowing sort of thing.

Steps have been taken to help folks along, such as the pinned Start Here: Links to Important Hat Forum Threads thread. The new hats and ebay threads were also started as omnibus threads in order to keep things corralled a little. Both have helped to some extent. When consolidating new hat threads into the omnibus thread was tried there was great hue and cry in protest. It was decided to let that be a voluntary thing after some discussion.

You can satisfy some of the people some of the time, but I've also found that there are some of the people you can satisfy none of the time.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Well... I guess I should have posted about my new Panama hat on the new hat thread because my new Panama hat is new....as opposed to posting it on a Panama hat thread because it is a Panama.

Or maybe I should have just not bothered to post about it at all.

AF

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I just received a new, old Panama hat. I posted it in the New Hats thread. That makes sense to me.

I have checked this thread occasionally, but most of the entries here could either go to the Panama Canal thread or the New Hats or the What Hat Are You Wearing... threads.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Atticus Finch said:
Well... I guess I should have posted about my new Panama hat on the new hat thread because my new Panama hat is new....as opposed to posting it on a Panama hat thread because it is a Panama.

Or maybe I should have just not bothered to post about it at all.

AF

Please feel free to post it in all three (I very much mean that). This is a hat forum where we a bunch of guys and gals from around the world show their hats to each other. As long as folks do so amicably then we ought to just enjoy our mutual interest in the hobby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters