Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama weight.

riccardo

Practically Family
Many thanks to all,
i've counted the rows with a lens in an hand and the hat with the tape in the other...it wasn't very easy :p .
Now i'll looking for this other kind of lens and i'll let you know about the count.
...if anyone would give as a present me a digital camera it would be more easyer for me :rolleyes: :cheers1: .

Best regards.
Riccardo.

jimmyfed

New in Town
I also use an electronic scale I got from Office Max or Office Depot years ago. I think they are pretty inexpensive now. I was shown by (incabox) three different ways to count the finess of the weave on a montecristi. the weave count, the X's count and the "carreras" count. there are more ways too.

I forgot to mention, you should use a good source of bright light to help you in the count, but the light source should be shined from the side of the count area. this will create light shadows in the little channels created between the weaved straws and therefore giving you some contrast between each weave. this makes it a lot easier to count.

If you get this technique down well, it is easy to figure out the consistency of the weave on a hat. mathematically speaking that is. to figure this out, get the count of the weave in at least 4 different areas on the hat. try to be consistent. for example if you started the count on the left side of the crown at 2 inches high from the brim, do the same at the right side, then do the front and back of the crown, also at 2 inches high from the brim. you'll end up with 4 counts. the closest these numbers are to each other the more consistency the weave is. the bigger the gap between these numbers the less consistent the weave is.

As he (incabox) says if it's a bad montecristi hat and if the weave is obviously inconsistent don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t bother using this technique. just go on to a better hat. I heard that in montecristi the masters don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t use any of this. they just look at the hat and they know.

I hope my explanation made sense to you Ricardo.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I have a "carrera" counter around here. Basically a cm square and you count the number of runs in a hat. If you have 5.5+ you have a tremendous hat.

You can ask Sharpetoys, I've always said that in Ecuador they don't care about count. What they say is medio fino, fino, and WOW!

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi to all,
I'll spend the next week-end counting the weaves.
Thanks jimmyfed, your explanation is very good...but my english knowledge isn't so good ;) .
But I think the best thing to do is to take a photo and to post it here on the lounge.

Best regards.
Riccardo.

riccardo

Practically Family
My first photo here.

Ladies and gentlemen...
here am I:
Immagine0191.jpg

Take care for the children, another photo of mine:
Immagine0131.jpg

Immagine0181.jpg

And now my Panama Hat, alone:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a225/riccardofulgoni/Immagine0101.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a225/riccardofulgoni/Immagine0091.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a225/riccardofulgoni/Immagine0081.jpg

By near, with an optical lens between the camera and the hat:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a225/riccardofulgoni/Immagine0051.jpg

These are all the best with my pc camera.
To be continued...

Thanks for your ideas.
Hi Bob.
Riccardo.

jimmyfed

New in Town
Nice hat Ricardo. how about a photo of the inside of the hat and sweatband. how many vueltas are there?

jimmyfed

New in Town
Oh yea, for those of you who don't want to spend money on a new scale, you can take your panama hat to the post office and have it officially weighted by the government. this will make a good conversation at the post office too. they will be amazed.

riccardo

Practically Family
Ok Jimmifyed,
i'll post it.
However, i've seen here a lot of sweatband better than mine,to see the vueltas i'll must remove the liner, but i'll do it for you.
Regards.
Riccardo.

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi Bob,
I'm very proud for your comment.
I take this pics with the hat on an hand, the other one take the mouse for "clicking" the pc camera...i try a lot of time, a lot of pics...the light wasn't good: theose was the best! Sorry.
In the future I'll post some closeup pics taken with a digital camera, so you'll count the weaves.
Have a good day.

Riccardo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass