Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pass the Hat...and the torch

Magus

Practically Family
Hi all?¢‚Ǩ¬¶today a hat and torch were passed here at our home. I bought an off brand vintage hat recently on ?¢‚Ǩ?ìE?¢‚Ǩ?. I really didn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t expect much out of it as the spelling in the add wasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t even correct. Take a peek here if you care to:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8392402086&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

In fact I had firm plans on painting the house or working in the yard in it. Well it came today and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box. Black, great ribbon, a nice little stingray brim?¢‚Ǩ¬¶good body to the felt?¢‚Ǩ¬¶and in such an unworn state that it was still stiff, not even a mark on the sweatband. However it was obviously vintage?¢‚Ǩ¬¶I am guessing late 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s early 60?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. Well now I had to rethink how to use/wear it, because it really wasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t the ?¢‚Ǩ?ìbeater?¢‚Ǩ? I have been planning on receiving.

About that time my daughter and her boyfriend pulled up. That?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s when inspiration struck. He is nearing his 21st birthday and I though ?¢‚Ǩ?ìI think I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll give this to him as a ?¢‚Ǩ?ìstarter?¢‚Ǩ? hat.?¢‚Ǩ? (plus I get by only dropping $17 on his B-day!...teasing). When I handed it to him you would have thought that I hade given him the keys to a new car. He was incredibly stunned and appreciative, slipped in on and gave it a slight tilt to the left and struck a slightly heroic pose. Lol I believe we have a convert. Don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t underestimate the draw of a nice hat

By the way?¢‚Ǩ¬¶this same young man recently asked me for permission to ask my daughter to marry him. After a discussion that included the possibility of broken kneecaps, a long engagement, timelines and the need to be a strong male figure for her, I shook his hand and granted it?¢‚Ǩ¬¶.also?¢‚Ǩ¬¶he hasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t asked her yet?¢‚Ǩ¬¶.because he wanted my blessing first. (Pretty smart guy I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d say?¢‚Ǩ¬¶well of course he is?¢‚Ǩ¬¶he?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s interested in my daughter! :cool:

So...any stories that you folks have of sparking someone's hat bug? I'd love to hear them.

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot