Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patches sewing

JuliaG

One of the Regulars
Dear guys,

Some of you might already know me from a long journey of choosing a sheepskin jacket. I thank everybody for help and glad to finally share that we chose Schott 257s which is now getting cleared through the customs.

Would you please help. I am going to order several embroidered patches and sew them on this Schott sheepskin jacket.
Are you able to give any advice on how to do that so that the patch stays long and is friction resistant and at the same time doesnt spoil the leather of the jacket. Maybe there is some type of coating or some special thread? How do you sew your patches, especially in friction prone areas?
Any advice would be highly appreciated!

It's as straightforward as it sounds; You just sew them on through the leather. There aren't any secrets to it and obviously, the patches are traditionally placed on the chest & the shoulders for a reason, as there's least friction going on at those areas.

Should you first want to glue the patches to the jacket to make sewing easier, only use glue that's specifically designed for use on leather, like Barge, as it won't burn the finish. Though, I wouldn't use any kind of glue on un-coated sheepskin but Schott 257 has an acrylic coating so it should be okay.

JuliaG

One of the Regulars
It's as straightforward as it sounds; You just sew them on through the leather. There aren't any secrets to it and obviously, the patches are traditionally placed on the chest & the shoulders for a reason, as there's least friction going on at those areas.

Should you first want to glue the patches to the jacket to make sewing easier, only use glue that's specifically designed for use on leather, like Barge, as it won't burn the finish. Though, I wouldn't use any kind of glue on un-coated sheepskin but Schott 257 has an acrylic coating so it should be okay.
Thank you for the reply. Do you open the lining preliminary or without opening?

Thank you for the reply. Do you open the lining preliminary or without opening?

Isn't Schott 257 a shearling jacket? There's no lining.

On any regular A-2, you absolutely do need to get under the lining and sew the patches on directly through the leather. Sleeve lining is supposed to somewhat loose so fastening it with a patch would ruin it & potentially with time, the thread would rip right through it.

You can get under the lining through the sleeve lining which should have an access point - A part of the seam that's top-stitched, made easy to open and stitch back - intended precisely for repairs and such alterations.

Last edited:

JuliaG

One of the Regulars
Isn't Schott 257 a shearling jacket? There's no lining.

On any regular A-2, you absolutely do need to get under the lining and sew the patches on directly through the leather. Sleeve lining is supposed to somewhat loose so fastening it with a patch would ruin it & potentially with time, the thread would rip right through it.

You can get under the lining through the sleeve lining which should have an access point - A part of the seam that's top-stitched, made easy to open and stitch back - intended precisely for repairs and such alterations.
Thank you!!! Yes, I think so too about shearling and lining. Though many "professionals" here insist on some kind of opening .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari