Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pea Coat Brush Suggestion

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
For the past 6 months I have bought a few pea coats. They are all in excellent condition except that they usually come laden with dust, hair, lint, etc. I bought a regular clothes/coat brush for them to get all of this stuff off. First I usually vacuum them, then use the clothes brush. I realized that these regular clothes brushes take a long time with many, many strokes to get off all of the remainder of this junk. I then thought of buying and using a scrub brush to do this instead of the cheap China special brush that I had bought for 15 dollars. I bought a Quickie scrub brush for 5 dollars and have found that they WORK BEAUTIFULLY. It's not the Super Scrubber Brush but the regular scrub brush. The pea coats come out looking outrageous. I can't believe how well they work. They really comb out the Kerseys and make them look newer. You don't have to brush too hard or heavy as these Quickie scrub brushes are pretty rough, but they DO NOT wear out the material, nor brush off any of the tuff Kersey wool. I've found these brushes in hardware stores and supermarkets, and I'm sure also in Wal-Mart and K-Mart.

Peacoat

Bartender
I'm not sure what type of brush you are talking about, but I might look into it to compare what I use with these brushes you are using.

What I use is a standard fabric clothes brush. If rubbed one way they are rough and pick up lint and everything else on the coat. If rubbed the other way, they are smooth and don't pick up anything (rubbing this way cleans the brush). Some come with swivel heads and some have the handle that slides through the head. They work great. In fact I have small ones for the pockets of my peacoats so I can do touch ups if something gets on the coat.

Thanks for the tip.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
It's made by Quickie. It's about 6 inches long and 3 inches wide. The handle has white plastic on each end and the middle has a blue rubber area where you hold on to the brush. The bristles are dark blue on each end and white mixed with blue in the middle of the brush where you hold it in the middle. They're only 5-6 dollars. The bristles might seem a little rough but it does an excellent job with a lot less work when compared to those coat/clothes brushes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran