Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peacoat from "Major Coat Company"?

Peacoat

Bartender
But keep in mind it's outerwear and despite what has been suggested you do not need to take a measurement to the nearest 1/8".

It is best to strive for 1/8" measurement. Especially when explaining the method to an online seller. That way they will understand the importance of accurate measurements. The more we let them slip, the more they will do so. Remember that any p2p measurement is actually only one half of the equation. Any error in taking the p2p measurement is actually doubled when determining the fit of a peacoat. Strive for 1/8".

Peacoat

Bartender
Which of these - if any - is the right way, and point at which, to take the P2P measurement?

And pending having questions answered, does this eBay offering look okay? Seller has good feedback but doesn't allow returns on this item.

Yes, the Doc is correct on the proper place to measure the p2p.

The coat is about a 1949 issue coat. My 1949 coat has the best finish of all of my pea coats.

She mentioned some stains. Ask her where the stains are, what they are and how large they are. Can't tell you anymore than that.

Longplay

Familiar Face
Yes, the Doc is correct on the proper place to measure the p2p.

The coat is about a 1949 issue coat. My 1949 coat has the best finish of all of my pea coats.

She mentioned some stains. Ask her where the stains are, what they are and how large they are. Can't tell you anymore than that.

Thanks all for the great advice. I've already sent an email about sizing and will follow up with your other suggestions. I did notice that the coat appears to be buttoned in the wrong direction. Is it ever the case that peacoats were constructed to button in either direction, i.e. for male or female?

Thanks all for the great advice. I've already sent an email about sizing and will follow up with your other suggestions. I did notice that the coat appears to be buttoned in the wrong direction. Is it ever the case that peacoats were constructed to button in either direction, i.e. for male or female?

Standing watch on a freezing wind swept bridge the sailor could button the coat whichever way blocked the direction of the wind best. Wind from their left side....button left over right.
Wind from their right...button right over left.

Longplay

Familiar Face
Standing watch on a freezing wind swept bridge the sailor could button the coat whichever way blocked the direction of the wind best. Wind from their left side....button left over right.
Wind from their right...button right over left.

Well, that makes sense. My only reference is a 70s coat my father got me from the Navy store at Selfridge ANGB. It buttoned only one way.

I did get some measurement info from the seller but despite explaining how they should be made, you never know what they actually did.

She wrote:

Pit to Pit 22 1/2 inches [which, if measured correctly, makes it a 43, if such a thing existed]

Back 33 inches [this sounds about right]

1) Inseam length 16 inches [this seems too short, especially considering the 26" dimension given below]

2) shoulder seam to end of sleeve 26 inches

I did find that the listing has changed to permit returns, which if nothing else, may make this a good experiment to learn how these fit me. If I have to return it, I'm not out too much.

Peacoat

Bartender
Well, that makes sense. My only reference is a 70s coat my father got me from the Navy store at Selfridge ANGB. It buttoned only one way.

I did get some measurement info from the seller but despite explaining how they should be made, you never know what they actually did.

She wrote:

Pit to Pit 22 1/2 inches [which, if measured correctly, makes it a 43, if such a thing existed]

Longplay, you haven't read the section on fitting closely enough or you wouldn't have made that statement.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
Which of these - if any - is the right way, and point at which, to take the P2P measurement?

854c4a13-8ea8-4c77-80f2-468904564b83.jpg

6447b24b-63ef-4b03-9542-93eb166b6f60.jpg

And pending having questions answered, does this eBay offering look okay? Seller has good feedback but doesn't allow returns on this item.

Just my own two cents. This coat doesn't look bad, but doesn't look great either. I think it states that it has two stains?? Kersey 42s are not plentiful but there are a few of them on ebay. One thing I have learned is that you should wait till an excellent condition coat is posted. It might take a little bit longer but it will show up.

Kingston83

New in Town
Just joined the forum and also just received my first vintage pea coat. It is a 1966 issue (according to the type of tag and sleeve details), and with the exception of a couple of barely noticeable wear marks, it is pristine. If some of the more knowledgable members could chime in on sizing it would be much appreciated. I measure 41 in the chest, and normally wear a 40R for suits and sport coats. This coat happens to be a 38R with a P2P measurement of 20 7/8ths. The chest does fit perfectly, but the shoulders are right there on the border. In order to put the jacket on I have to reach into the sleeves overhead and let it fall into place rather than putting one sleeve on and reaching behind for the other; but once it's on it fits to a 'T'. If I were to treat it like my suit jackets I would have a tailor let out in the back seam a little to allow more movement, but I don't know if tailoring a pea coat is common practice and would rather not alter the coat in any way that would take away from its integrity or aesthetic.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Kingston83 said:
...I don't know if tailoring a pea coat is common practice and would rather not alter the coat in any way that would take away from its integrity or aesthetic.
Please don't screw with it, for the very reasons you mention. Better to look for a bigger one if you need more room. One could argue that if you own it you can do as you like, but I think old/vintage stuff should be left as "original" as possible. In any case, for potential future re-sell you will want it to be unaltered.

Peacoat

Bartender

1965 was the last year for this feature, although a few may have slipped through for a year or so.

Longplay

Familiar Face
Longplay, you haven't read the section on fitting closely enough or you wouldn't have made that statement.

Just reread it ... and here's the really disconcerting part: "Of course if the measurement around the abdomen is a great deal larger than around the chest, a peacoat may not be the best choice."

Time to get back on my diet ...

Longplay

Familiar Face
Just my own two cents. This coat doesn't look bad, but doesn't look great either. I think it states that it has two stains?? Kersey 42s are not plentiful but there are a few of them on ebay. One thing I have learned is that you should wait till an excellent condition coat is posted. It might take a little bit longer but it will show up.

If I decide to get it, I can easily return it (seller changed the listing to allow it). At the most I'll be out 15 bucks for shipping but offsetting that will be knowledge gained about fit and the buying process. I can live with that.

I did just see what may to be a WWII jacket that appears to be in good condition here >

Last edited:

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
If I decide to get it, I can easily return it (seller changed the listing to allow it). At the most I'll be out 15 bucks for shipping but offsetting that will be knowledge gained about fit and the buying process. I can live with that.

I did just see what may to be a WWII jacket that appears to be in good condition here >

Not trying to discourage you but I would be careful of the 21.5" pit to pit measurement. That coat could could be a size 40. One thing which is tricky is that size tags are very rare on WWII coats.

Kingston83

New in Town
Please don't screw with it, for the very reasons you mention. Better to look for a bigger one if you need more room. One could argue that if you own it you can do as you like, but I think old/vintage stuff should be left as "original" as possible. In any case, for potential future re-sell you will want it to be unaltered.

Oh this will never be up for sale as the original owner was my father. If given the opportunity I will pass it along to my son along with my grandfather's WWII uniform. I will see about posting some pictures for sizing opinions. Should I create a new thread or is it ok to post in this one? I read a few posts about members sizing down (40 to 38, 42 to 40), but I'm not entirely convinced at the moment. Also, why isn't point to point across the back yoke taken into consideration when sizing pea coats?

Peacoat

Bartender
Not trying to discourage you but I would be careful of the 21.5" pit to pit measurement. That coat could could be a size 40. One thing which is tricky is that size tags are very rare on WWII coats.

Exactly right, Spoon. I would however, trust the p2p more than her guess as to the size of 42. A 42, it ain't.

Kingston83

New in Town
Exactly right, Spoon. I would however, trust the p2p more than her guess as to the size of 42. A 42, it ain't.

Peacoat, what are the expected P2P measurements of 38, 40, and 42 sized pea coats? I have remeasured my 1966 38R multiple times now and came up with a measurement of 21 3/8". At approximately 41.5" (chest measure) which size should I be looking for, for an optimal, true fit?

Peacoat, what are the expected P2P measurements of 38, 40, and 42 sized pea coats? I have remeasured my 1966 38R multiple times now and came up with a measurement of 21 3/8". At approximately 41.5" (chest measure) which size should I be looking for, for an optimal, true fit?

Peacoat goes into detail how to measure a peacoat in the "Peacoat Dating" stickie at the top of this forum section, in post #6, "Sizing of Peaoats";

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35824-PEACOAT-DATING

Basically, (P2P measurement in inches X 2) - 2 = coat size.

Approaching the question from the size of coat;

(Coat size +2) / 2 = P2P measurement in inches.

A size 44 jacket will have a P2P measurement of 23".

Last edited:

Kingston83

New in Town
Peacoat goes into detail how to measure a peacoat in the "Peacoat Dating" stickie at the top of this forum section, in post #6, "Sizing of Peaoats";

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35824-PEACOAT-DATING

Basically, (P2P measurement in inches X 2) - 2 = coat size.

Approaching the question from the size of coat;

(Coat size +2) / 2 = P2P measurement in inches.

A size 44 jacket will have a P2P measurement of 23".

I have read through the guide and saw where his personal 42 measured a 22.25 and his 40 measured a 21.25. I could assume that a 38 should measure 20.25 for a total of 40.5, but since 5 separate measurements result in 21.375, I don't just want to assume that my 38 is a 40 as Peacoat also stated that there are exceptions to sizing and each "generation" is cut more generous from the previous. So first hand experience in measuring mid-60s examples would be great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic