Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peep toe shoes....

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Nikki, you needn't worry. I am an 8.5. Give me all your peep toe shoes and your problem will be solved! lol

I think it depends on the shoe. I have one pair that I flat out refuse to wear because they pinch so badly. But two other pairs that don't hurt at all. [huh]

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Peep toes in most vintage shoes form the 40s had holes so small that really no toe could be seen, let alone peep through.

I wish I could understand why they made the holes larger. And what it would take to make em smaller again. :rage:

LD

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I noticed that LD. Though I'm glad peep toe shoes are back in style I would like to see some repros that are truer to their vintage counterparts. Agree?

MissHuff

A-List Customer
This reminds of a discussion I had with the S.O. He didn't understand why women bought shoes if they hurt. I have 2 pairs of peep toes that are extremely painful. One is a little narrow for my toesies and stiff (red glittered pumps) and the other the hole is so big they might as well be sandals and not hurt my toes.

but I LOVE vintage peep toes where it's just a little sliver that wasn't big enough for your big toe to come out and say hello.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Nikki, you might try stitching a piece of elastic about an inch and a half long in the back strap. Just stretch it out a little and stitch the ends so it's secure on your heel, perhaps that will help. I don't have a suggestion for the toe area though, sorry.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Another part of the problem with modern peep-toes is the lower vamp -- the desperate need to expose toe-cleavage means there's that much less shoe to keep the foot from sliding forward into that too-big toe cutout. And the toe-box is usually so low that there's little room to fit in any kind of padded insert.

That's what we get when shoe designers are more interested in "shoe as self-indulgent work of art" than "shoe as item of practical wearing apparel." Bring back Red Cross Shoes!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Foot Petals are what I was going to recommend, and they make grippy strips to put in your slingbacks too.

Usually, I go to CVS and buy the gel inserts. They help prevent your foot from sliding, provide extra cushioning, and cost less.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Pink Dahlia said:
I noticed that LD. Though I'm glad peep toe shoes are back in style I would like to see some repros that are truer to their vintage counterparts. Agree?

Here-here!! Agreed!

Well then, I suppose I gotta spend another $3-4 on every cheap pair of shoes I've bought to put those non slip cushions in. Ugh.:mad:
Nikki

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
BegintheBeguine said:
I'm so cheap I switch them from one pair to another. They still seem to work well after several years. :)

Yes, I've done this also. This works well with the gel ones and if you need to stick them in place, fashion tape works well :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
And the toe-box is usually so low that there's little room to fit in any kind of padded insert.

Heck, I've bought shoes with such low toe-boxes that I could barely fit my toes in there. Vintage sounds great, but I have wide feet.

Unless you take extra care of your feet, a lot of modern peep-toes aren't very flattering. Maybe it's the dry climate here, but I see a lot of thick, gray calluses. Blech.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ah! Thanks girls! I wouldn't have thunk to reuse with different tape!

And sorry to burst your bubble Pink, but I wear a 7.5-8. That was just an ebay link for reference, lol!
Nikki

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Oh I feel your pain Nikki :(

I found some amazing 40s peep toe shoes at a vintage shop downtown, so I thought I'd try 'em on. I wasn't expecting anything too great, but to my surprise they fit. I bought them and wore them that night and like you, my feet kept on sliding down and getting pinched. Needless to say, I had some pretty bad sores that night.

I also found some gorgeous peep toes at Charlotte-Russe, but I can hardly walk 3 blocks in them before my feet are screaming.

Stupid shoe addiction lol

SarahLouise

Practically Family
To be honest all of my heels hurt my feet, not just peep toes! I suffer from blisters on the toes so if I know I'm going to be wearing heels I'll put on some cushioned blister plasters. These cost £4 a pack so wearing heels is very costly for me!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Most dress shoes hurt my feet as well. The only solution I've found is to buy well-made shoes, which tend to be expensive. I need shoes that have a padded insole, preferably a little arch support, and they have to fit from the moment I put them on--no wishing, hoping and praying that they'll stretch to fit my wide hoof. I now shop at one shoe store that carries lots of high quality shoes in my size. The least I've paid for shoes there is about $90 (to replace the same brand and style of shoes I bought in 2001 or so, which I had worn for five years and now use as dance shoes). My last pair cost $170. Expensive? Yes, but cheap shoes are no bargain if you have to see the podiatrist.

Etienne

A-List Customer
I have a young friend who is a women's shoes designer for a really well-known company. I forwarded her the information to get onto the FL and check out our concerns in this thread. I hope it will make a difference!

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
admittedly this wanders, but i kept near the topic.

i had wondered about the foot petals. i will definitely pick some up.

does anyone else work on their feet and in heels everyday??? my poor feet are absolutely beaten. last week i pulled out and wore to work my most beautiful + costly Spanish, pink metallic, slingback, kitten heels with pointed toes, and ended up with no less than blood blisters. (eww. sorry. gross.) i mean really awful stuff. and the peep-toes are really difficult for all the reasons sighted here. what i've learned to do is switch which shoes i wear every night. i can't ever wear the same pair two days in a row, and i have to always keep a pair of trusty flats nearby just in case i can't ignore the pain any more. i do have one pair of heels that can go the distance and are actually down right comfortable. they are the work horses of my closet.

but peep-toes in Summer? ugh, i dread the season for that reason alone, yet i must wear what the outfit demands...

Nashoba

One Too Many
You know I've noticed that the 'peeps' in the peep toes is larger too....which annoys me becuase I don't always take the time (or money) to go get a pedicure (I can't put polish on myself I screw it up every time) and so if I don't I have to think about which shoes to wear. On my vintage peep toes though I don't really worry about it because you can't really see me toes at all....I've been trolling through the vintagey shoe thread looking for new shoes (well lusting for them really) and that's one of the things that drives me crazy. If I wanted a sandal I'd buy a sandal! Like I need more shoes to chose from anyway! lol
I've never seen those petals before though in the stores although I remember having some at some point when I was still activly doing theater. How long do a set typically last? I mean with really hard wear?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner