Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pelushe

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, this just came in. It is easy to see when holding this hat why Borsalino has had such success and unsurpassed reputation. This hat is like a teddy bear, soft, cuddly,lush and of course plush. What a beautiful color. It of course does not fit. At the very least I now now that a 3/8 is too big. This by the way is a perfect hat. Although I don't see my self wearing this type. It is not me. I do have an allpaca coat of the same color that it would definately look great with.
DSCN3267.jpg

DSCN3269.jpg

DSCN3270.jpg

DSCN3271.jpg

DSCN3272.jpg

DSCN3274.jpg

Sorry for the lousy photo. I only creased it for the pic and it will stay an open crown for the time being.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Actually, I think it looks great on you!

Takes a bit of getting used to, the longhaired felts. But it's a good look.

Do you agree with me -- that's probably pure beaver?

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Actually, I think it looks great on you!

Takes a bit of getting used to, the longhaired felts. But it's a good look.

Do you agree with me -- that's probably pure beaver?

Oh, and that hat fits large. My 7 1/4 is on the big side for me, and usually that size is just right.

DOUGLAS

I feels like beaver to me and very fur like. Perhaps if I put something behind the sweat. Does your have the corragated fabric at the front of the sweat? I think that is such a great detail.Only my Borsalinos have it.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Mine doesn't. It seems to be a slightly different era from yours, even though it's exactly the same shape. Mine has this interesting sweat barrier glued to the back of the leather sweat band -- it protrudes beyond the edge of the leather. Also, mine isn't a reeded sweat -- is yours?

Oh, and do post the serial number!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Superb! Fun fact: in South America, a stuffed toy (i.e., a teddy bear) is called a "piluche".

This type of felt finish was often called "velour". I have a British fedora from the '30s like your Borsalino; the sweatband says "velour finish" on it.

feltfan

Marc Chevalier said:
This type of felt finish was often called "velour". I have a British fedora from the '30s like your Borsalino; the sweatband says "velour finish" on it.

I think peluche and velour are different. Peluche is longer, like fur,
while velour is more like velvet or fuzz. I have a Willoughby hat from
Paris that has the same finish. I'll try to post it soon.

Rick Blaine

Tremendous Lid!

... sorta matches the Peluche yer' sportin' on yer mug these days! ;)
both very becoming... nice contrast. Quite unique ,thanks for posting it for the general edification & enjoyment :eusa_clap

feltfan

Marc Chevalier said:
I hear you; but for whatever reason, my longhair felt '30s fedora (which looks just like Douglas's) has the words "velour finish" stamped on the sweatband. What can I say? [huh]

I guess the definition or style of "velour" changed
over the years.

To make things more confusing, I just checked the
Willoughby and the liner identifies it as having a "Satin Finish".

So three names for the same thing, perhaps in different decades.

2% Knowledge . . .

As I understand it, a "Peluche" finish isn't just furry, it's distinctly hairy. As noted earlier, "Velour" is velvety. A "Suede" finish is a bit longer/furrier than standard felt, but less so than Velour, thereby looking like, well, suede. A "Silk" finish has a distinctly satin-like sheen as you twirl the hat through incandescent light.

Now that I think about it, these "understandings" derive from the examples on Biltmore's site. Hopefully, their terminology is more-or-less standard.

Further thought: "Peluche" and our word "plush" probably have a common ancestor. Any linguists here in the lounge?

Sardou

DOUGLAS

Well hell, now I can't wait to wear it out. I will need a good look to this hat justice. I must find an event to attend.

feltfan

Willoughby

Here's the Willoughby of Paris with the Satin Finish:

248790182_c391cd8651.jpg

Not the best shot, but it does capture my assistant, too.
If you like a fur finish, my assistant has the best in the house.

Here's the back bow:

248790218_df7fd72729.jpg

The flash gives a different sense of the fur.

Here's the liner logo, but the photo sucks. Sorry.

248790256_3baba3ec7b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy