Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pencil Mustache

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Can I make a suggestion?
What about Warner Baxter?
Baxter_Warner_2.jpg

Also an unfortunately rather "forgotten" star, but I've liked him for quite some time.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Ladystardust -- thanks for the reminder of Warner Baxter, a star in the early days of cinema.

Here is another "forgotten" star who did not always wear a moustache, but, when he did, it was the pencil thin.

http://www.alohacriticon.com/images/elcriticonfotas/novarro7.jpg

Ramon Novarro, if the image shows.

If the image shows, here is a not so forgotten star of stage and screen, he of the "great profile" and grandfather of Drew Barrymore:

http://www.pcpa.org/images2/John%Barrymore.jpg

He also did not have a moustache in his early career, but in later life wore one, notably in the film Grand Hotel.

karol

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
well, he was Belgian. I think there was some directive from Leopold II that all men over the age of 18 should smoke . . . and go searching for diamonds. ;)

bk

p.s. check the lapels on that bottom suit. If you didn't know that suit was from the 30s, i'd swear it was a 70s suit . . .

Ahhh! Quelle guitariste, et quelle guitar!

I once went through a phase where I used to try and imitate his style. It's not easy. I even bought a guitar like his (the bottom one) and used to tape up my fingers to try and see how he did it.

I never quite managed the style, but at least I have the jacket!

Alan

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
p.s. check the lapels on that bottom suit. If you didn't know that suit was from the 30s, i'd swear it was a 70s suit . . .

Right. I wonder what it is - that the line between lower and upper part is more horizontal? Or the "cut out" part is a bit small in proportion to the width of the lapels? The width itself is a bit on the verge itself.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alan Eardley said:
I once went through a phase where I used to try and imitate his style. It's not easy. I even bought a guitar like his (the bottom one) and used to tape up my fingers to try and see how he did it.

Taping? Ingenious. Just don't cut them off ...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Of course, the best non-pencil moustache of the Golden Era was undoubtedly owned by the US Secretary of State, Dean Acheson. His Guardsman moustache was very well known.

acheson_d_01.JPG

He was also perfectly tailored, brutally intelligent, and posessed one of the great, instant wits of his time.

Jovan

Suspended
I'm not a huge fan of the pencil moustaches, though David Niven seemed to wear it more than it wore him. I get that vibe about many men who wear them, which may be my problem with it.

Cesar's was the sexiest, in any category!

Untitled-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW