Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pencil Mustache

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
Gable!

a%20Dancing%20Lady%20Clark%20Gable%20Joan%20Crawford%20DANCING_LADY-1(1).jpg

Yes Indeed, when I think of pencil mustache, Clark Gable is 1st to come to mind. it perfectly compliments his face and the well groomed haircut.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Well after 2 weeks growing a Goatee... I shaved off everything but the stache, I practiced trimming it and now gonna let it thicken a bit before making it any thinner.... what da you think?? keeper??

MyNewBorsalinoHatpurchasedon8-21-1.jpg

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
My wife asked me over the holidays to grow a mustache, just for fun, so I'm just under three weeks into it. I'm aiming for a vintage look with it, though I'm not sure it qualifies as "pencil-thin" -- William Powell's my inspiration, though mine's not going to be nearly as full as his; it's a bit sparse.

Here's what I have so far.

stache1.jpg

stache2.jpg

stache3.jpg

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
It works! Some guys can't do it, but I think it looks great. Does Mrs. skyvue like it?

Thanks! She does indeed. I wish the mustache would fill out a bit more, but I simply don't have a very thick beard. It does look a bit better in person than in those photos.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pencil Thin Mustache - Jimmy Buffet 1974

Now they make new movies in old black and white
With happy endings, where nobody fights
So if you find yourself in that nostalgic rage
Honey, jump right up and show your age

Chorus:
I wish I had a pencil thin mustache
The boston blackie kind
A two toned ricky ricardo jacket
And an autographed picture of andy devine

I remember bein buck-toothed and skinny
Writin fan letters to sky king and penny
Oh I wish I had a pencil thin mustache
Then I could solve some mysteries too

Then its bandstand, disneyland, growin up fast
Drinkin on a fake i.d.
Yeah, and rama of the jungle was everyones bawana
But only jazz musicians were smokin marijuana
Yeah, I wish I had a pencil thin mustache
Then I could solve some mysteries too

Then its flat top, dirty bob, coppin a feel
Grubbin on the livin room floor (so sore)
Yeah, they send you off to college, try to gain a little knowledge,
But all you want to do is learn how to score

Yeah, but now Im gettin old, dont wear underwear
I dont go to church and I dont cut my hair
But I can go to movies and see it all there
Just the way that it used to be

Chorus:
Thats why I wish I had a pencil thin mustache
The boston blackie kind
A two-toned ricky ricardo jacket
And an autographed picture of andy devine

Oh, I could be anyone I wanted to be
Maybe suave errol flynn or the sheik of araby
If I only had a pencil thin mustache
Then I could do some cruisin too

Coda:
Yeah, bryl-cream, a little dabll do yah
Oh, I could do some cruisin too

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:
I know I can't do it... too many red and blond hairs in my stache. It's funny because those ones aren't on the top of my head.

Yeah, I have some light hairs in mine. It's really thicker than it appears in those pictures, but not as as thick I'd like.

I'm wondering now if I should save a break in the middle of it. I've dummied up a picture of it -- what do you guys think? Put a break in it, or go with the unistache look?

stache4.jpg

Rider

Familiar Face
Brad Bowers said:
I've had one for a few years. They're a little more work in shaping, but well worth the effort.

MyFace.jpg

Brad

Goodness gracious, Brad. I look at this photo and see Broderick Crawford! Anyone remember "Highway Patrol?" Man, that goes back a long way.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
skyvue said:
Yeah, I have some light hairs in mine. It's really thicker than it appears in those pictures, but not as as thick I'd like.

I'm wondering now if I should save a break in the middle of it. I've dummied up a picture of it -- what do you guys think? Put a break in it, or go with the unistache look?

stache4.jpg

I believe that the split suits your face better. I can't quite put my finger on why, but, it does.

woweewow

New in Town
one time when i was at the thrift store i saw the /best/ thing, this amazing mexican man with a moustache /just/ like clark gable's, and he was so cool about it, just like hey yeah i'm a way amazing mexican man with clark gable's moustache on my moustache and it makes me so charming and mysterious you don't want to look but you have to. i was staring at him alot and i felt bad because he noticed. i wish he hadn't noticed.

actually i think he just looked like a mexican clark gable. not exactly though because i would have thought that then instead of just now but boy he was great to look at. i never payed attention to pencil moustaches before then but now i like them. he looked like earlier that day he was probably doing some construction work like maybe building a house or tearing down one or something, but now he's taken off his construction hat and gloves and fancy boots and he's just doin' some shopping.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A few years ago, I sported the Pencil...

...but I always felt that it was lacking 'lead' in it [huh] Always seemed to be two camps - those who LOVED it, and those who LOATHED it.

I didn't dislike it (otherwise I wouldn't have kept it for so long), though I never felt I had it 'the way' I wanted it - which was 'a la Gable or Flynn...'
ErrolFlynn008.jpg

ErrolFlynn009.jpg

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
My two cents: I didn't know I liked pencil moustaches (or moustaches at all for that matter) until I saw John Waters *drool* when he was much younger in the documentary Divine Trash, or in the pic below.
2007_02_arts_johnwaters.jpg

Now I love pencil staches. I like the look on you Skyvue
stache1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou