Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pendletons?

Riley Dee

One of the Regulars
I have a few questions about Pendleton wool jacket/shirts. What place in Golden Era style does the “Pendlelton" hold? I know that Pendleton Mills has a long history but when I think of them I think post WWII work-wear or hunting wear but that is really just more of a personal take. So… were they a golden era staple and who tended to wear them?

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I have around 20 or so Pendleton shirts. It was my impression that they had been making the loop collar shirts since the late 20's. The collar sizes would change some over time but besides that they changed very little. The thin virgin wool shirts I even can wear in warmer weather. It's my favorite shirt for that casual, golden age, working guy look.

cowboy76

Suspended
J. M. Stovall said:
I have around 20 or so Pendleton shirts. It was my impression that they had been making the loop collar shirts since the late 20's. The collar sizes would change some over time but besides that they changed very little. The thin virgin wool shirts I even can wear in warmer weather. It's my favorite shirt for that casual, golden age, working guy look.

Stovall's absolutely right on the dates and styles staying the same,....they're great and very traditional shirts. Great for fall or winter days choppin wood, hunting in the woods or shoveling the snow!

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I'm another Pendleton fan-I must have at least 2 dozen shirts-almost all from eBay, as I want the ones actually made in the USA. I also have 3 or 4 of their coats that are quite similar to the Filson Mackinaws, with four pockets and a game bag in back.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not a Pendleton

I don't know how old this Woolrich is, but it has a similar look to the old Pendletons.

p1010664ur7.jpg

Pendletons have strong moth attraction as I rarely run across one without a moth hole somewhere. :mad:

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I own several Pendleton shirts and wear them frequently. They are a nice weight for all but the coldest temperatures. I also have a couple of Pendleton sweaters that I love. Pendleton shirts are a dime a dozen in Twin Cities thrift stores. I've sold quite a few on ebay and have a stack to sell for this season.

The Woolrich shirt in the picture is likely the late 1960's or early 1970's. I've sold a number of these on ebay as well. Over time Woolrich has slowly cheapened their fabric by increasing the nylon content and reducing the wool content. At one point Woolrich shirts were 100% wool, then 85% wool, and now many are 80% or less. On a cold day there is nothing better than a Woolrich Alaskan shirt to wear in the bush. The single most item I am after is a modified version of an Alaskan shirt by Paul Petzoldt Wilderness Equipment. Someday I'll find one. In seven years of carefully watching ebay I have seen three, none of which were in my size.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I have eight of this three-pocket style of Pendleton jacket in various color patterns. It's a casual-wear jacket. The lapel widths vary so I know their ages spread out over several decades. I also have a dozen vintage shirts.

2-6.jpg
[/IMG]

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
Pendletons are great!

I agree. I only have a handful of them, but they are great for everyday wear in fall/winter. The plaids are great, but they made some really nice solid colored shirts as well-- they're just a little harder to find.

--G.R.

Justdog

Practically Family
Shadow mute

Quigley Brown said:
I have eight of this three-pocket style of Pendleton jacket in various color patterns. It's a casual-wear jacket. The lapel widths vary so I know their ages spread out over several decades. I also have a dozen vintage shirts.

2-6.jpg
[/IMG]
Perfect:eusa_clap Pendleton is just a great product. Some of the 100 percent virgin weaves come from Mexico and are great but mothes attack them for sure. There is also a similar make called Bear but I think they are mostly Makinaw. Codet Canada also makes some nice ones. The store in Portland has superb customer service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany