Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Personal Hygiene during the golden era? did some people only bath once a week??

Pompidou

One Too Many
My parents had my sister and I sharing a bath really early on as well, but I'm pretty sure that changed by the time I was 5. Looking back and remembering the complete lack of shame makes me wonder how old a person is when they learn to get embarrassed about that sort of thing.

amynbebes

New in Town
You have been in a roomful of teenage boys who've just discovered girls haven't you? Not bathing and using cologne is very common among that group!
Yes! When my son and his friends were around 12 they thought that soaking themselves in Axe was the cure all. Blech.

Drappa

One Too Many
I had the misfortune of sitting on the train a few weeks ago right in front of a group of teenagers. One of the boys was about to meet a girl and they were joking about how handsome he was. He then proceeded to douse himself in Lynx for what seemed like ten minutes, and I almost fainted from the smell since I was right in front of him. I felt very bad for the poor girl who was waiting for him.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Around my house we call it "the Stynx Effect"...

Nearly every Christmas my other half, who is in his mid-40's mind, comes back from visiting his folks with a "present" from their next-door neighbour: a bottle of Lynx product, or Adidas, or something equally foul and cheap. I think he should do a bit a shopping at the Thai supermarket down the road, and present them with a durian this year. Perhaps they'd get the message.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's hilarious. Having lived in Thailand (& spending alot of time with someone that loved durian) I can tell you how truly foul it smells (tastes good though).

Hi

Two comments, first of all, the smell and taste buds are SUPPOSED to be connected somehow. IN THEORY, durian shouldn't taste good either. Note I used SHOULDN'T taste good, haven't tried it. If the bald dude on the travel channel can't eat something I ain't even touchin' it.

Secondly, anyone remember Brut by Faberge? We did at least shower before using a quarter of a bottle.

Later

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
If you haven't tried it then you shouldn't knock it (well the taste anyway). There's nothing better than stinky cheese, bad smell, great taste, same principal.

Back on topic, given the very warm climate in Australia bathing/showering daily was an imperative. I remember my Great Grandfather's house (which was built in the early 1900's) having a shower over bath. He showered twice daily, as did his family.

Last edited:

Dave E

One of the Regulars
I think as others have said, bathing less frequently was more common in the UK later. I grew up in the early 70s and was brought up having a bath once a week , although that changed during the 80s (we washed in the sink every day, of course). This probably wasn't helped by the shower in our house being a bit like having a shower in a dimly lit closet.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I decided this morning to try a powder under my pits called Zeasorb AF. If it is truly anti-fungal, it should kill any odor, and if it does work, I will enjoy not smearing pasty stuff under there every day.

Since posting this (11/3), I have been using said powder.

For the most part its okay, but by the end of some days, there is the faintest smell of human body! <AUGH!> <hehehehe> Im going back to deodorant.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
That's hilarious. Having lived in Thailand (& spending alot of time with someone that loved durian) I can tell you how truly foul it smells (tastes good though).

I tried it once. My reaction upon first placing it in my mouth was that I was very nearly, to put it as delicately as I can, quite ill. Someone else's sweaty gym socks was my first impression. I persisted, and the taste did seem to improve over several micro-mini bites. However, I don't think I shall repeat the experience!

Geesie

Practically Family
So if both bathing and clothes-washing weren't as frequent as today, how bad was 'ring around the collar' ?

rue

I tried it once. My reaction upon first placing it in my mouth was that I was very nearly, to put it as delicately as I can, quite ill. Someone else's sweaty gym socks was my first impression. I persisted, and the taste did seem to improve over several micro-mini bites. However, I don't think I shall repeat the experience!

I'm sorry I know I shouldn't say this, but I can't help myself.... I feel like Mr. Roper and this is a Three's Company conversation lol

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
So if both bathing and clothes-washing weren't as frequent as today, how bad was 'ring around the collar' ?

I believe that this was part of the reason for detachable collars and cuffs. They could be washed separately from the shirt and more frequently, as well as there being multiple sets to make up for the difference in wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy