Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peter Dobbs Leathers

barnabus

One Too Many
I just picked this up off eBay and know very little about it. I mean, I know I liked it, but beyond that next to nothing.

British made motorcycle jacket, which astonishingly came together with trousers to make a full motorcycle suit.

Listed as Peter Dobbs Leathers, and clearly the badging says Dobbs.

I've done a little rudimentary research and will update as I find out anything more, but by all means please post anything you might know.

I'm estimating 80s, due to the jacket styling and the quilted reinforcements, but again, I'm open to thoughts.

The jacket was listed as a 40, the trousers as 32 x 32. And to my intense delight they both fit me pretty well.

I need to put some effort into them though, as the leather is stiff and hard, and creased from what I take to be some lengthy storage.

There also needs to be some remedial work to the jacket lining, as it's badly torn going in to the sleeves on both sides.

But anyway.

I presume it's cowhide.

It's navy blue, with lighter blue accents on the jacket for the quilted reinforcements and pocket edging.

All the zips work well. The main zip is a huge big YKK.

The jacket has (I guess understandibly) had a lot more wear than the trousers and is dirty and faded. The trousers are in perfect condition and I love them. They're a straight, 501-esque fit.

I'll do some fit pics once I've cleaned things up a bit, but for now this is what I'm working with.

DSC06172.jpg

DSC06174.jpg

DSC06173.jpg

DSC06175.jpg

DSC06177.jpg

DSC06182.jpg

DSC06180.jpg

DSC06176.jpg

DSC06181.jpg

barnabus

One Too Many
I've been in touch with the daughter of the man who made these leathers, Peter Dobbs.

She has confirmed the date as early 80s, post 1982 as that's when the logo badging was introduced.

They are apparently a bespoke* set due to the colour, which makes them unique.

Once they're cleaned up and repaired as necessary I'm thinking I might get some armour pockets added and use them as originally intended.

barnabus

One Too Many
A couple of quick horrible phone pictures, for fit.

It occurred to me that rather than tinkering with modifications to the jacket for armour etc, I'd just see if it would fit over the top of my Knox armoured base layer.

It does, but it's snug. That's the picture with the thumb loops.

Otherwise, over just a t shirt it's a good fit.

DSC061842.jpg

DSC061872.jpg

It doesn't drape or conform at all yet, mind, as the leather is still stiff and not pliable at all.

Last edited:

barnabus

One Too Many
The sun's been shining furiously today so because it would have chance to air dry I put this jacket through the wash to see what would happen. That's always the first stage with trying to turn something into something.

It turned out pretty well and seems to have properly sorted out the fit. A very quick terrible phone pic while it's still damp, but I'll make a proper assessment once it's dried right out. Pleased, though.

IMG_20230407_221933~2.jpg

jeo

One Too Many
That’s so cool man! It has the scalloped back (!) with very tastefully placed quilted panels on the back yoke that wrap around to the front bringing front and back together. That’s nice design as far as I’m concerned.

And that Dobbs logo looks like something out of a video game from my childhood. Very nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy