Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Petroluem Jelly/ Vaseline

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I did a quick search and could'nt find a dedicated petroleum jelly thread.

To explain this I'll give a bit of background.
For years I bought into the cometics industry speil that mineral oil/ petroleum blocked pores and was to be avoided at all costs. Paula Begoun's book opened my eyes to the fact that there is no resaerch to back up this claim and in fact it has been proven to help skin. So with this in mind I decided to apply a dab to a particularly dry and nasty scab on my chin that i got from squezing and then picking off the damaged skin (I know i should have left well alone..) so it was sore and red and dry- and would'nt you know it the wound started healing - and fast! so I kept on applying it for a few days and it was completly gone and healed! I usually take weeks to heal (I now know some of this was due to the AHA's I was applying on my skin to 'help it'- more marketing hype)

So I mentioned this to my sister who is a 'wound nurse' and she said most of the creams and ointments she uses in her work have petroleum jelly as the main ingrediant and since using them her hands (which have some excema) have never been better and her nails are stronger. She said that recent thinking is that it creates and 'occulsive layer' creating a moist and warm environment which helps skin heal. She also mentioned that some older ladies told her they they used to use it as a face cream- don't think I'm ready for that just yet though.

In a fit of rationalising my skincare products to minimise the amount I used, I wrote down the main ingredients of them- and most of them have PJ and parafin wax high on the list of ingredients- even Palmers so-called 'Coco butter'. I'm still gonna use a body cream and a face cream as vasline doesn't feel that nice but I'm keeping a big jar of it in my vanity now- just like my Mum & Dad do! (always wondered why- and now I know)

Other uses for vaseline I have found: (I don't use them all though...)
-Eyemake-up remover (cold cream feels nicer though)
-eye cream (apparently Joan collins uses a tiny dab under each eye, and so does Eve Frazer)
-lubricant/grease- for sticky doors etc.
-polish for patent leather shoes and bags
-lipbalm/shine
-overnight foot softening treatment - with socks over the top
- clear lash shine
- Used it to soften dried mascara and cake/cream eyeliner
-mix with powder shadow for a glossy eye shadow
-mix with lipstick in a pot and microwave to melt, leave to set and cool and you have a colored lipgloss.

You all probably knew this all along and as usual I'm the last to cotton-on!

Trish

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
I have a tinted rose flavoured little tub in my purse. It's lovely and I use it before I put lipstick on so that it goes on smoothly.
My sister got a tattoo and was told to put vaseline on it to help it heal.
I have used it as a make up remover before when camping. It's really good and all you do is dab some on then rub it off with a tissue. Though I have found if you put make up on after that then any left on your skin will cause it to run and go smudgey.
Also (and this is something I highly doubt anyone will need to know) if you have a bott fly lay and egg on you and the worm thingey gets under your skin then put loads of vaseline over it and it will block all the air off and the worm will suffocate and die. I literally have NO idea how I know that fact.
I also knew someone who was allergic to vaseline and it gave her a really bad rash/dry skin.
"most of them have PJ and parafin wax high on the list of ingredients" - I have a tub of aqueous cream which is just white parrafin. It's a great moisturiser and I use it all over. You can also use it to wash with. It costs £4 from Boots so thrifty too! The tub is huge and promts comments such as "got enough cream Row?". I think it's the base ingredient for loads of creams and lotions though since it has not perfume to it it smells like primary school paint.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I've had very good luck with vaseline as a foot moisturizer when paired with socks.

I also love it as a natural lip gloss, but it WILL break down lipstick (thus decreasing its staying power) so it is best not paired with lipstick.

mix with powder shadow for a glossy eye shadow

This can make for a super fun colorful disco look or a neat, smokey 1920s look, but it should be noted that you will have serious problems with your color creasing if you do this!

One thing I haven't heard mentioned here is vaseline's use for burns. I had always been told that burns needed air to heal, but a boyfriend once told me that it was great for burns. If you apply it immediately after getting a minor burn (running the burn under cold water first), it will very quickly ease the pain of the burn and keep it from blistering. I've had burns for which, after applying vaseline, all you could see was a slight red mark, with no scabbing or pain. The book "101 Things for the Housewife to Do" (1949) by Lillie B. and Arthur C. Horth also recommends Vaseline as a medical salve.

Also don't forget that beauty pageant contestants use it to make their teeth shine!

Great idea for a thread, BTW!

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
I've also used vaseline on my eczema... over a thin layer of Vitamin E oil and worn overnight. I think it's definitely helped.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Asise from using it to cover my lips inthe winter, on a really freezing windy day, with temps below 20f/-7c, I rub a little into my cheeks and the rest of my face that's exposed to the wind. I think aside from retaining moisture, it reduces wind friction. Anyway, it keeps my faces noticeably warmer. And makes me feel beautiful. (Don't wanna be off topic. ;) )

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I think I am now immune to normal lipbalms after an entire lifetime of using vaseline as lip balm. However I now like to pretend I'm posh and use Rose & Co balm, that is essentially rose flavoured vaseline, and 8 Hour Cream, which is again, essentially vaseline!

And all my 45 half used tins of various types of actual Vaseline too! lol

James71

A-List Customer
I prefer to use it as a lubricant when my good wife and I are being intimate.

(by applying a generous amount on the external doorknob of the bedroom the 3 year old cant get the door open :D )

swinggal

One Too Many
James71 said:
I prefer to use it as a lubricant when my good wife and I are being intimate.

(by applying a generous amount on the external doorknob of the bedroom the 3 year old cant get the door open :D )

Hahaha!!! Gold!!!

I use Vaseline at night on my hands and a few dabs on dry parts of my face. Works a treat.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I use it daily after a shower or bath, and often at bedtime on my elbows, hands, knees and heels to keep my skin soft.

I also use it for my lips when I am not wearing lipstick.

PJ is inexpensive, always readily findable in stores, and it works!

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
Whenever my lips get dry, cracked, and sore, I put Vaseline on them when I go to bed and by the next morning they're soft and supple again. I might have to try it on my heels which have been dry lately.

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
I bought some really cheap vaseline stuff that was meant for elbows and knees and dry spots. I didn't realise and used it on my face and it makes for such good night cream. It was only £3 and has lasted me two years so far using it every evening. I've never had problem skin, but it's made my skin more radiant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav