Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phoenix Hat Company Video

humanshoes

One Too Many
I've been reluctant to post this video from the local news station for the simple fact that I either misspoke (I was nervous after all) or was misquoted on the number of hat makers in this country. The beautiful Emily said that I said there are 10, however, I can think of at least 20 off the top of my head and there are probably closer to 100 or more in various incarnations. My apologies to the hat makers of America. At any rate, I did manage to get in a plug in for the lounge so it wasn't all bad. I did receive a good many hat orders as a result of the video and, more importantly, met some really good people in my community who are like-minded concerning the appreciation of a good hat on one's head. So, again with my apologies, here it is.

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/2015/01/16/phoenix-hat-company-knoxville/21856845/

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
great video and beautiful hats

the misquote didn't bother me one bit ... happens all the time on the news pieces

I would love to one day own one of your creations

Good for you, man. You speak well, photograph well. It's all the better for the custom hat market overall that we are well represented. You did good. And thanks for getting in a plug for this place, which has served us all so well.

As to the number of custom hat makers ... Good Lord, who knows? Hundreds, anyway, most of which rarely if ever get mentioned here. We are an important slice of the "proper" hat "community," but only a slice.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Thanks tonyb! Don't know about the speaking and photographing well (old dog, even older tricks), but at least it raised some awareness here in Knoxville that there are better alternatives to the less than stellar headwear that most people around these parts have settled for.

Rick, that was a great piece, no apologies necessary to the hatters of America. It was a pretty well put together segment that featured your work, and conveyed many good thoughts. Nice to see this place get some props, too.

As an aside, every time I've been involved in a news story, whether interviewed or having first-hand knowledge of the events, the story published usually has at least three things wrong. I read all news stories with this assumption.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Awesome, Rick. I thought it was a very nice piece! Where do you get your felt from?
Thanks to you 1mach1. I source felts from various suppliers like Manhatco and Manny's, who sell the Czech felts, but mostly I buy my felts from Winchester right here in Tennessee. Greg's a great guy to deal with.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Enjoyed the video.Your a talented guy.Your hats look great.The only bad part is now I want one of your hats.
Glad you enjoyed the piece DOGMAN and thanks for the compliment on the hats. Wanting another hat seems perfectly normal to me, but I come from a large, wonderfully dysfunctional family so what do I know about normal. I'd be honored to make a hat for you any time you like.

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
Never be reluctant to promote hat making or hat makers, perhaps we're witnessing a resurgence of this art to some degree and that's good. You spoke well, of yourself and the art. Your hats look great, continued success.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Thanks JoeyC and RJR. I guess I've never really been above a little shameless self-promotion and it is good for the resurgence of the craft.

javadave61

Practically Family
Thanks JoeyC and RJR. I guess I've never really been above a little shameless self-promotion and it is good for the resurgence of the craft.

It doesn't feel like self promotion. You promoted all of us and the thing that we love. Thanks!

And of the 4 minutes I've used of my 15 minutes of fame, about 3 and a half of those minutes were a total train wreck. So you're doing great, my friend!

humanshoes

One Too Many
Thanks for the kind words fellas. It turns out that Knoxville does have something of history concerning the hat making industry. The Bowman Hat Company was here until it closed in 1962. Love to know where all that equipment went. Bowman Hat Company.jpg

Never be reluctant to promote hat making or hat makers, perhaps we're witnessing a resurgence of this art to some degree and that's good. You spoke well, of yourself and the art. Your hats look great, continued success.

I think we're privy to a resurgence of artisanship and craftsmanship due to this wonderful invention called the internet. Like musicians, artisans can now market their wares to a larger audience and be successful. It would be harder selling to only the local area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy