Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phoenix Hat Company Video

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Good job, Rick.
BTW, will you be around the weekend of Labor Day? Our family plans to be in the Pigeon Forge area that weekend, and it looks like Knoxville is about an hour away. Good excuse to add a side trip to the existing road trip... :)

humanshoes

One Too Many
Good job, Rick.
BTW, will you be around the weekend of Labor Day? Our family plans to be in the Pigeon Forge area that weekend, and it looks like Knoxville is about an hour away. Good excuse to add a side trip to the existing road trip... :)
Thank Strapped. I'm taking a little road trip of my own that weekend so I won't be in Ktown. Enjoy your time in Pigeon Forge and I hope to meet you some other time.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Refurbishment by Phoenix Hats (Rick Walker)

I have had a Stetson 3XB western beater for several years now, 3 3/8 brim, last-drop liner hiding under yellowed oilskin tip. Here it is, at the back of the table of thin-ribbons, in the middle -

The sweatband finally got so crusty it was crumbling -

So I decided to check out the local hatter, Rick Walker, Phoenix Hats. We met and I handed off the old beater for a refurb job. Cut the brim down to 2 7/8, new ribbon, new goat sweatband, see if the embroidered last-drop can be saved and used in a new liner. Picked it up today -

This looks good to me -

Initials on the sweatband -

Complete rebuild on the liner - disassembled the old tip, salvaging the embroidered last drop tip, new plastic cover, attach to a new liner.

to be continued -

humanshoes

One Too Many
Hat looks great on you John! Good job on the bash! It was a pleasure working on it for you, but I'm afraid it may have lost it's "beater" status.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Thanks, enjoy the feedback. It still needs some tweaking, or maybe I am just never satisfied with any bash. I am curious, Tom, visiting Neyland Stadium tomorrow?

barrowjh

One Too Many
More Work on the Phoenix-Stetson

I got a little more aggressive with the brim roll on the sides - and some afternoon light instead of all incandescent -

I think this is more what I was looking for in the brim - enough roll to bring the effective brim width on the sides down from 2 7/8ths to be about 2 1/2 ~ 2 5/8ths.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Yet another Phoenix Hats refurb! yes, a little more than a year after the first one, and I had another Stetson 3XB that needed a new sweatband. The original had stiffened and crystallized, crumbling at the temples, and as much as I would prefer to keep the original Stetson 3X Beaver quality logo - was not wearing the hat, so it was time for a refurb. Showing off the quality of Rick Walker's work -

The original hatband was a one-cord, and I decided to replace it with smoke grey - in a 'bowtie' - Rick did a nice job with this:

Here is the new goat sweatband, and please notice Rick's attention to detail - the small knot from the original sweatband was cleaned and re-installed on the new sweatband, and the original size tag was also salvaged and reinstalled to the new sweatband. The round size tag says this hat was made before 1960, and the clear plastic tip over the embroidered 'Last Drop' says it was made after 1953, so that makes a fairly tight window - a mid-to-late 1950's 3X Beaver. Rick's attention to detail is greatly appreciated, and I like the initials on the sweatband also.

My daughter and son-in-law are visiting to attend the Mizzou game today, and my special treat is an afternoon with Wally! Wally and I, sporting the refurb:

Whispering away -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy