Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photo - Does anyone recognize these uniforms?

just_me

Practically Family
I was looking through a box of old family photos and found this picture of my grandparents. (I think it's of my grandparents. I didn't know them, but the photo has "mom" and "pop" written on the back). It looks like it was taken during the war. Can anyone identify what organization had those uniforms? The picture was taken in Utah.

wwII-grandma-grandpa.jpg

just_me

Practically Family
Hmm. They were certainly old enough to be around during WWI, but I think the photo was taken in the 40s. Neither was French. I have this other photo taken at about the same time. Written on the back is, "Pop receiving his General Commanding Award."

wwII-grandma-grandpa2.jpg

bigshoe

One of the Regulars
It appears to be a Natl. Guard or State Milita dress uniform. If you could blow up the hat and collar devices it might help.
Tom

just_me

Practically Family
bigshoe said:
It appears to be a Natl. Guard or State Milita dress uniform. If you could blow up the hat and collar devices it might help.
Tom

Thanks. I blew it up, but it's not really clear. The original photo was a small, poor quality snapshot.

wwII-grandma-grandpa-bigger.jpg

bigshoe

One of the Regulars
Most likely State Militia if National Guard the hat device would be an eagle with down turned wings holding two fascines and the upper insignia on the collar would be a U.S. and the lower would be the branch of service. The aguilette appears to be a solid color and in the R.A. and N.G. the only solid color is buff for the Quartermaster dept which would look much lighter.
Tom

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
the phrase itself, I though, might provide a clue. Perhaps some military experts can enlighten us. But the phrase 'general commanding award" is not a common term. In fact, a google search reveals only one source. This thread.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
During the war each state had a "State Guard" that was in place. But I would suspect this is pre-war, as I think that the wearing of the blue uniforms were discontinued during hostilities. I would agree with the militia ID though. The hat badge is a tell-tale sign. I could be wrong though.

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
Hello,

Heck of an introduction, eh?

I think the uniform is for the Knights of Pythias, or some other fraternal group. The swords in the photo are definitely fraternal style.

Brian

Mike K.

One Too Many
The Salvation Army (?)

There are a few photos on the internet that show very similar looking uniforms for this period, both mens and womens. Also it was an organization very active on the home front, took older persons not eligible for combat, and used military ranks and etiquette.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats