Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photo Gallery: Stanley Kubrick’s Gritty Images of 1949 Chicago

flyfishark

Practically Family
Photo 7 of Cookies' list is the Pump Room. I remember when Nat King Cole's brother was the pianist there. When you wouldn't dream of walking in without your finest suit. When some celebrity--local or international--was always in "Booth One." The cocktails were never-ending, and the food was actually good. I was there for the 60th Anniversary celebration. It sure isn't what it used to be.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
the Pump Room.. . When some celebrity--local or international--was always in "Booth One.
You have to switch trains in Chicago when traveling between LA and NY. Ernie Byfield, the owner of the Pump Room, got the idea to send a car to pick up the stars and bring them to the restaurant for a free meal during their layover. He'd even put them up at the Ambassador East if they wanted to freshen up or even stay for a few days, all on the house. On any given day there was as much star power in that joint than anyplace in the world. It even had its own PR machine with Irv Kupcinet interviewing celebs every night for his international newspaper column.

When you wouldn't dream of walking in without your finest suit.

At least one guy did.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Kubrick's take on 1940's New York
http://www.retronaut.co/2011/11/new-york-1940s-by-stanley-kubrick/

kubrickclassytush.jpg

Steve

Practically Family
Kubrick is one of my all-time heroes, almost more for his photography than for his film. Everything he did was superlative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot