Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photographs Of Hats Fresh From Surviving The Elements

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Was covered in snow on the way home, ran in to grab my camera, and it all melted... :(

So back out I went, and the snowfall had slowed to mere little flakes.

03210.jpg

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Very nice photos, Blackthorn. I really want to visit battlefields, just to appreciate and honor what I can only see on a screen, and hear in stories...

+1!

you too, splintercellz! Does it usually snow in Reno?

Thanks!!!

It usually snows from September - July. It just depends on when the snow decided to complete the treck over the mountain and pay us a wintery visit, hah!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fresh from visiting the Yorktown battlefield in Virginia, in a driving rain:
DSCN8957_zpsaeafb09c.jpg

Hi Blackthorn

How about taking a picture of that hat BEFORE you do anything to if after it dries. I have an old Wool hat that was that wet, and it went from a pretty straight taper to a 60 degree taper and went from a 7 3/8 to possibly a 7 1/8.

Thanks

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Hi Blackthorn

How about taking a picture of that hat BEFORE you do anything to if after it dries. I have an old Wool hat that was that wet, and it went from a pretty straight taper to a 60 degree taper and went from a 7 3/8 to possibly a 7 1/8.

Thanks
Actually, within 2 hours you couldn't tell it had ever been wet. There's no difference at all, believe it or not. I just put it back on my head and wore it (I was driving for a few hours and there was no more rain when I got out of the car),

I'm sure if I did this every day, the threads would eventually rot and pull apart, but honestly, it was pristine shortly after this pic was taken.

If anyone is interested, it's an Akubra Stylemaster, with Imperial felt, not even the tougher Heritage felt.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
This isn't a close up, 1961, but it's the same hat the following day. I've been wearing it as my every day hat now for a few months. I realize you can't tell much about the condition of the hat from this far away, but it's the best I can do, since this was last week:
DSCN9207_zpscde7e2b6.jpg

1961MJS

Actually, within 2 hours you couldn't tell it had ever been wet. There's no difference at all, believe it or not. I just put it back on my head and wore it (I was driving for a few hours and there was no more rain when I got out of the car),

I'm sure if I did this every day, the threads would eventually rot and pull apart, but honestly, it was pristine shortly after this pic was taken.

If anyone is interested, it's an Akubra Stylemaster, with Imperial felt, not even the tougher Heritage felt.

Thanks

I'll add a link to this page in the wool hat thread because this is why I don't buy anymore wool hats. I can't post mine because I haven't been in a downpour since I ruined my British Bush hat.

Thanks

Rogera

We don't get much rain in my neck of the woods but here is the first modest rain exposure for my Campdraft. Not quite the soaker Blackthorn tangled with!

2013-01-09183729_zpse507c6d1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff