Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photographs Of Hats Fresh From Surviving The Elements

hollowpond

One of the Regulars
Newer stetsons are notorious for bleeding because of the powder dye they use. I don't have a VS (yet...ask again in about two weeks!), but Art uses TOP of the line felt and I own a hat from another hatter that uses the same felter. That hat has never even thought of bleeding, and it has been soaked.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
The hat was a uniform color after drying; whether it was a little bit lighter I cannot say. It was not an outlet purchase. I think there's still some dye or powder to deal with, since it also colored the white towel I left it on to dry. I've had similar colored Stetson cowboy hats before and got them absolutely saturated without the same problem.

The hat was a uniform color after drying; whether it was a little bit lighter I cannot say. It was not an outlet purchase. I think there's still some dye or powder to deal with, since it also colored the white towel I left it on to dry. I've had similar colored Stetson cowboy hats before and got them absolutely saturated without the same problem.

The Westerns hold up better for some reason---likely because they have so much stiffener in them that it binds the color to the felt. I would hate to clean one of those hats though. You never know what can happen.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
They will NEVER; I repeat NEVER run dye/powder like a Stetson. Did I say NEVER. I mean NEVER.:D;)
Wear the heck out of them like I do mine.:eusa_clap
That right there is another reason that I love my VS. I've worn it in light rain so far and its come out flawlessly. I don't know that I could really buy another hat aside from a nice vintage hat knowing how nice Art's are. I've been trying to get mine out in a good rain but mother nature seems to have thwarted my efforts so far. I did however, get a comment from a lady at work that I looked awfully cute in my VS and sport coat yesterday :eek:

That right there is another reason that I love my VS. I've worn it in light rain so far and its come out flawlessly. I don't know that I could really buy another hat aside from a nice vintage hat knowing how nice Art's are. I've been trying to get mine out in a good rain but mother nature seems to have thwarted my efforts so far. I did however, get a comment from a lady at work that I looked awfully cute in my VS and sport coat yesterday :eek:

VS hats adorn the smartest heads in America.;):p

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Western Conversion by Optimo

Here's my Optimo Western Conversion after 2 hours in the rain this morning.
30 minutes after coming out of the rain the crown is mostly dry even though the brim is soaked through.

OptimoWeternConversionafterrain11-20-102.jpg

SteveAS

Practically Family
A little?! Go walking around today.;):p

That's the truth. I left to walk the dog this morning wearing a broad-brimmed Stetson Fifteen Mode Edge to keep the sun out of my eyes. I arrived home 45 minutes later with a saturated brim that turned out to have kept the pouring rain off my glasses. Can't argue with the versatility of a broad brimmed hat!

That's the truth. I left to walk the dog this morning wearing a broad-brimmed Stetson Fifteen Mode Edge to keep the sun out of my eyes. I arrived home 45 minutes later with a saturated brim that turned out to have kept the pouring rain off my glasses. Can't argue with the versatility of a broad brimmed hat!

Earlier it was clear but then it let loose for a while. We now have a bit of a restbit but I wouldn't count on it for very long. :eusa_doh:[huh]
Where are pictures of the hat by the way? ;)

Pat_H

A-List Customer
would, for the most part, get you laughed out of town. So do those plastic "hat condoms," unless you're a rodeo queen and don't want to lose the rhinestones off your hat. Umbrellas are also not so good when the wind goes over 30 mph, which it does most days in Cheyenne. A stout cane or blackthorn walking stick is a better thug deterrent than an umbrella, and less likely to get you arrested than the proverbial sword cane.

Besides that, most hats here are working hats, and if you are wearing a hat to keep the elements off your head, you don't need an umbrella. Not that umbrellas aren't useful in some localities, but here they'd most serve to make you airborne as you attempted to hold on to them.

Last edited:

thebroker

One of the Regulars
I don't know how I've missed this thread so far, but I have a great picture from last winter...we had a very heavy snow (relatively rare for Southeastern Kentucky). I love the snow, so I couldn't resist going out to "play". The hat is an inexpensive Dorfman Pacific...actually my first felt hat. By the time I got inside, I had over an inch of snow on the brim. Accordingly, I was sick for a week afterward. But a got a pretty cool pic to show for it...

JWSnowHat.jpg

W_B_K

New in Town
Raining a bit last night. Vintage Borso, rather wet. The back of the hat got the brunt of it but the picture I took didn't turn out well. Did its job well and kept me dry! :D

2wpm2rc.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda