Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photography Make-up?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Please forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I did some searching and couldn't find a thread about this topic anywhere on The Lounge.

I was wondering if anyone could please recommend a good foundation and powder, as well as concealer that would work well in pictures.

I've noticed in some recent photos that I've had done that my makeup looks far too sheer, non-existent. I don't want it to look like I have gobs of make-up on, I definitely don't want "pancake" face. But, given the lighting (flash, natural light, a photographer who puts you in the direct line of the sun!!) of photographs, my skin isn't looking as "polished" as I'd like it too.

I do know that given certain lighting conditions I need to put my foundation on a bit heavier than I normally would. But, in regular light where my foundation/powder/concealer does a nice job of evening out my skin tone, in pictures it does not. Again, I'm not looking to actually look like I have make-up on, but I am in need of a little more coverage than I am getting from my sheer every day make-up.

I've thought about getting Mac Factor, for obvious reasons. But before I spend any money I thought it would be good to ask you ladies what brands you use, as well as ask if you ladies have a different routine for application when you are getting your picture taken.

Thanks in advance for any help you might have:)
Daisy

Rainbow

Familiar Face
Hi Daisy....I recently bough a makeup by JANE, very inexpensive. It's liquid mineral makeup. It's was quite a bit heavier than my regular makeup, but not pasty looking. But you also have to keep in mind I'm a much older woman, so that may be why it didn't work for me, not sure. I'll be interested to see what others recommend. It might be something I would want to try as well.

16_sparrows

Vendor
I don't wear foundation, so I can't really comment on specific brands, but a great place to look for this kind of info is wedding websites or magazines. I've seen reviews in the past on these sites on make-up specifically for photography. Hope that helps!

roselily

One of the Regulars
Okay, Jitterbugdoll and the other models might have more experience here as I'm mostly on stage rather than film, but I can tell you make-up will look drastically different in natural light vs. flash. ANY makeup with titanium oxide (most powders and anything with sunscreen, plus many opaque makeups) will "ghost" under flashbulbs, so you'll look like you have a white face with an orange neck. There are some mineral makeups that don't contain titanium dioxide, those might be a good bet for flash photography.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Whichever you use, don´t forget to use tons of blush and I mean TONS! When you look like you are the star of a transvestite show your blush is just right and will look good with lightning ;)

nyx

One of the Regulars
roselily said:
Okay, Jitterbugdoll and the other models might have more experience here as I'm mostly on stage rather than film, but I can tell you make-up will look drastically different in natural light vs. flash. ANY makeup with titanium oxide (most powders and anything with sunscreen, plus many opaque makeups) will "ghost" under flashbulbs, so you'll look like you have a white face with an orange neck. There are some mineral makeups that don't contain titanium dioxide, those might be a good bet for flash photography.

Kevin Aucoin in one of his book mentions that too--the flash will reflect off the makeup, so if all else fails and you know your makeup is going to reflect, just make sure to put some powder on the neck and clavicles as well so they both reflect the light.

For my wedding, I used Revlon Colorstay makeup. It was cheap and gave a pretty flawless look, but as I've mentioned in other threads, makeup melts off my oily skin and Colorstay is hard to repair (cakes up badly). But it works great for the short term if you just need it for photographs, and it won't cost you as much as department store foundations.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
goldwyn girl said:
Sari, I nearly choked on my drink when I read that, too funny lol

John allways complained I´d take too much blush whenever he saw me preparing for a shooting... Until he was present at one and had to admit that the tons of blush look natural on photos :D

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
roselily said:

Seconded!
That also means that you shouldn't wear sunscreen on your face when being photographed...at least not natural sunscreens (active ingredient is titanium dioxide). I heard the chemically ones are okay, but I try to avoid that stuff.

My makeup for my 1920's shoot was pancake-y (I looked GHASTLY in real life!!). I think the MUA used MAC foundations, and started with a super-pale primer. It's hard to see what they're doing/using when you can't look at their kits.:
46df88d7c17c1.jpg

The makeup from this shoot was pretty light. The porcelain look is more photoshopped, though, so you're unlikely to get this look with lighter makeup unless you have no pores. Ahhh, I wish I knew that foundation!
465b7305594b9.jpg

Without an MUA, I use Dr. Hauschka concealer (one of those healing sticks), Benefit foundation and Dr. Hauschka powder. I also use a L'Occitane "magic eye balm" product under my eyes (it's a light concealer and moisturizer).

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
RetroModelSari said:
John allways complained I´d take too much blush whenever he saw me preparing for a shooting... Until he was present at one and had to admit that the tons of blush look natural on photos :D

It's true!! In the 20's photo above, I'm actually wearing a ridiculous amount of bright (almost hot) pink blush right on the apples of my cheeks. You can barely see it in the photos.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

The lighting and the photographer make a big difference on how the make-up should be. As most of you know, what you are wearing has a major effort on how colors will be perceived. A lipstick may look fine until you put on a fire engine red dress. It might even look like you aren't wearing any lipstick at all.
The background colors effect the compostition in the same way.

As said above, flash will reflect and skin being somewhat translucent will absorb light. If flash is to be used you need to make-up your neck... and don't forget your ears.

In the golden era that velvety skin was made possible with pancake make-up. This has a very matte finish and therefore has less shine when being photographed. Unfortunately most woman applied too much it has a mask like look. The creams of today look much more natural to the eye. Most woman prefer liquid foundations because it requires less skill to apply and is more forgiving. They usually require less powder too.

Cream foundations are more popular with most professional make-up artists due to several reasons, one being more user friendly to carry on set. There isn't the danger of spilling on the wardrobe during a touch up. A professional can easily blend and maintain a cream foundation. Although woman use their fingers to apply liquid, a professional uses a sponge or brush to apply for hygienic reasons. Too much liquid is wasted when using a sponge.

To see which foundations are being used the most on celebrities, check out a page from our beauty site:

http://www.makeup411.com/best_of_the_best/foundation.htm

Enjoy!

P.S.

Insider advice: RCMA is an amazing cream foundation....but will be imposible for most of you to find in your area.....but it can be ordered.;)

Rainbow

Familiar Face
GlueGunGeisha.....what type of eyeliner are you wearing? I looked under the thread "favorite eyeliners" but didn't see a post from you.....your makeup is absolute perfection.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't forget filters!

If the photos being taken are black and white, wear a lipstick on the blue side, then the photographer can use a red or yellow filter and it cancels out a lot of imperfections! No foundation needed. But if it is a color shot, the yellow filter shows in your eyes too and makes you look jaundiced.

Generally though, if you are doing an outside shoot with natural light, the foundation and powder can be on the heavy side and it will look great. Daylight tends to be like a microscope, so you can do a heavier "white-out" effect and it will be cool.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
gluegungeisha said:
It's true!! In the 20's photo above, I'm actually wearing a ridiculous amount of bright (almost hot) pink blush right on the apples of my cheeks. You can barely see it in the photos.

Proof of what I've been saying since my days shooting portfolios: "The camera never lies" is a lie. :p

Lee

Feathers

Familiar Face
gluegungeisha said:
Seconded!
That also means that you shouldn't wear sunscreen on your face when being photographed...at least not natural sunscreens (active ingredient is titanium dioxide). I heard the chemically ones are okay, but I try to avoid that stuff.

My makeup for my 1920's shoot was pancake-y (I looked GHASTLY in real life!!). I think the MUA used MAC foundations, and started with a super-pale primer. It's hard to see what they're doing/using when you can't look at their kits.:
46df88d7c17c1.jpg

The makeup from this shoot was pretty light. The porcelain look is more photoshopped, though, so you're unlikely to get this look with lighter makeup unless you have no pores. Ahhh, I wish I knew that foundation!
465b7305594b9.jpg

Without an MUA, I use Dr. Hauschka concealer (one of those healing sticks), Benefit foundation and Dr. Hauschka powder. I also use a L'Occitane "magic eye balm" product under my eyes (it's a light concealer and moisturizer).

Oh my, Geisha! You look oh-so-20s! I am inspired! :eek:fftopic: My wedding (in a bit more than a week....eek!) is 1920s themed and I have been tossing around ideas for my makeup for the last month! Do you have anymore photos to share?

I use a mineral makeup that my mother sells and so far so good. I'm in agreeance (if that's a word?) that blush blush blush is a must! Otherwise you may be seeing lots of people do this: :eek: at least when they check out the photos... ;)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I have my picture taken at home with a digital camera all the time now by DH of my wearing vintage outfits to post here on FL. I do a 40s vintage look, and as MK said that meant cake foundation and powder back then. Actually my everyday makeup varies extremely little from this when I am not in vintage garb.

I wear Mary Kay's cream to powder foundation that I apply with a sponge. Then I use MK loose powder with a big brush. I use DDF liquid tinted sunscreen applied with a sponge instead of the MK foundation ONLY on the eye area; entire lid to brows and just under my eyes AND also on my upper neck just under my jawline. Still powder over that too. Black MK eyeliner pencil and sable MK eyebrow pencil. Two coats of mascara, eyelash curler. Minimal eyeshadow for a 40s look. I usually do wear lots of powder blush swept curving downward from temples to apples but it doesn't come off as looking too much. For this photo below in particular here I bumped up the blush a bit more as I have on a black dress and its not my best color. Elizabeth Arden lip liner pencil and then filled in with my favorite red matte lipstick from Clinique.

Even though all this much makeup sounds like it would be heavy, it ends up looking soft and almost glowy in the pictures. Here's an example:
362688693.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy