Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of cool jackets owned by others (non-brand specific)

Edward

Bartender
It's actually very reminiscing of the German 50's - 80's leather jacket style. Many German made MC jackets, be it cross zips or cafe racer styles were made in a combination of black and red leather, like that and they were for the most part beautiful jackets. Actually, not even the wildest stuff the Japanese brands are coming up with today can touch some of those cool 70's German motorcycle jackets. Shame this all is slowly disappearing... I've been meaning to make a small collection of German motorcycle leather jacket classics but it's tough to come by them.

Good point.... I remember being struck by the lurid, Hulk-green leathers the motorcycle police were wearing the first time I visited Berlin (1999) - not sure if they're still current.

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
17586635_1812344582421198_5723406674857820160_n.jpg

17265386_1795426120784052_1775465426340282368_n.jpg

17493988_632980733577862_2329360364635947008_n.jpg

I'll be stopping into Langlitz on Wednesday on my way thru Portland back home to Seattle. Looking to pick up either a padded Sidewinder or Cascade.

I LOVE Bates (tho I never owned one). But they're like the only company out there who decided not to be boring. Just look at those two!

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
Sidewinder is a very cool jacket...do they have those just hanging on a rack???

They did have some Sidewinders on the stock rack, though the largest was a size 46 and much smaller than an industry size 46.

I went with a Timberline in med weight black cowhide and medium fit (with t-shirt and sweatshirt) with padded shoulders and elbows, straight zipper, cossack collar, two chest pockets, a bicep pocket and an interior wallet pocket.

Having it built for me, so it'll be about a 3 month wait.

They did have some Sidewinders on the stock rack, though the largest was a size 46 and much smaller than an industry size 46.

I went with a Timberline in med weight black cowhide and medium fit (with t-shirt and sweatshirt) with padded shoulders and elbows, straight zipper, cossack collar, two chest pockets, a bicep pocket and an interior wallet pocket.

Having it built for me, so it'll be about a 3 month wait.
I'm glad I live in Chicago. If I lived anywhere near Langlitz or Johnson Leathers I'd be sleeping in my truck. Looking forward to your finished product!
Any 44" sidewinders on the rack btw?

Man who made that? Is the main zip a clix? It had to be British or Canadian....

No clue, really. Tags fell off. All zippers are Clix and snaps are Newey - England which would also make it either British or Canadian. Whoever made it, they must've used one of those earliest Brooks as a model. Funny thing is, I've asked LL about it and they said it could've been one of their custom jobs... but I doubt it. There's a discoloration where the tag used to be and it's roughly the same size and shape as the early Brimaco tag or the 60's LL tag but then again, I never saw one like it from either of the makers. Brimaco had their own CR, there wasn't any need for a Brooks repro. LL did tons of stuff but never anything even remotely like this.

Last edited:
Maybe someone can ID it? It's a considerably heavy jacket, around 3oz or more at places. Very well made.

Tag discoloration

Size no. tag above where the main tag used to be...

Inside pocket

Snaps

Clix main zipper

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
Any 44" sidewinders on the rack btw?

I'm unsure of exactly what sizes they had in stock, I asked what they had, Bennie looked me up and down and said "we do have some, but 46 is the largest we have, and it's not the industry size 46, so it runs small". Sure enough... I'm a 46 in a stock Langlitz Columbia, 44 in the Aero HB and a 46 in a Vanson Comet, but the 46 Sidewinder felt two sizes too small.

I'm unsure of exactly what sizes they had in stock, I asked what they had, Bennie looked me up and down and said "we do have some, but 46 is the largest we have, and it's not the industry size 46, so it runs small". Sure enough... I'm a 46 in a stock Langlitz Columbia, 44 in the Aero HB and a 46 in a Vanson Comet, but the 46 Sidewinder felt two sizes too small.
What I wouldn't give for them to have an online presence. But I'm glad they don't.

No clue, really. Tags fell off. All zippers are Clix and snaps are Newey - England which would also make it either British or Canadian. Whoever made it, they must've used one of those earliest Brooks as a model. Funny thing is, I've asked LL about it and they said it could've been one of their custom jobs... but I doubt it. There's a discoloration where the tag used to be and it's roughly the same size and shape as the early Brimaco tag or the 60's LL tag but then again, I never saw one like it from either of the makers. Brimaco had their own CR, there wasn't any need for a Brooks repro. LL did tons of stuff but never anything even remotely like this.
That one is a true mystery. I'd cross out Brimaco. LL?? No idea. It's unique. Couldn't even wager a guess.

technovox

One Too Many
Ahhh...Bennie is the one who made my Cascade...and I absolutely love it! He'll do you right!

Edward

Bartender

I'm not normally big on coloured leather, but this is pretty cool. Puts me in mind of a letterman jacket.

As memory serves, brightly coloured leathers, marketed as a safety feature, were a mid-late 70s thing for Lewis. My understanding is that when Derek took over the company in the 90s, there was nothing in the way of company archives: he even had to buy old Lewis jackets second hand to reconstruct all the classic patterns they do now. Wouldn't surprise me if this was one of theirs that got 'lost'. Is there also the possibility it was a Highwayman brand (by Rivett's of Leytonstone)? Lewis in their heyday owned the Rivett's company as well, and the only real distinction between many of the models was the label....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy