Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

Woodtroll

One Too Many
(Note to self: NEVER fire up the steamer with both valves closed)

I'm always interested to see how folks adapt tools to make them work exactly the way they need them to; I learn a lot from just taking in others' engineering and retrofitting ideas. As easily distracted as I can be when working in the shop, though, I would have to put a relief valve on that thing somewhere! ;)

Thanks, in part, to Jiffy Steamer and the plumbing aisle at my local Ace Hardware I give you the "Frankensteamer". The funnel side for full crown steaming, the nozzle side for spot steaming. Individual shut off valves to choose one or the other with minimal steam loss. (Note to self: NEVER fire up the steamer with both valves closed) I'll tie a cotton cloth around the top of the funnel just to be on the safe side. Mad Hatter or Mad Scientist? Only my dog knows for sure and he ain't talkin'.
View attachment 131528
That is a spectacular idea! Looks very well executed too. Great job!

humanshoes

One Too Many
I'm always interested to see how folks adapt tools to make them work exactly the way they need them to; I learn a lot from just taking in others' engineering and retrofitting ideas. As easily distracted as I can be when working in the shop, though, I would have to put a relief valve on that thing somewhere! ;)
Fortunately the good folks at Jiffy already thought of that.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Thanks, in part, to Jiffy Steamer and the plumbing aisle at my local Ace Hardware I give you the "Frankensteamer". The funnel side for full crown steaming, the nozzle side for spot steaming. Individual shut off valves to choose one or the other with minimal steam loss. (Note to self: NEVER fire up the steamer with both valves closed) I'll tie a cotton cloth around the top of the funnel just to be on the safe side. Mad Hatter or Mad Scientist? Only my dog knows for sure and he ain't talkin'.
View attachment 131528
Very cool! I like it, what kind of a funnel is that? If only those jiffy steamers put out more steam and a bit more pressure.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Very cool! I like it, what kind of a funnel is that? If only those jiffy steamers put out more steam and a bit more pressure.
Thanks CWV. I fired it up this morning and am happy to report that, even without the pressure and volume of the $2500 commercial units, the steam to the funnel side is more than sufficient for my purposes. The funnel is a 6 1/2" galvanized job that I picked up from my local Rural King store for 7 bucks and there is a removable brass filter screen in the base that serves to diffuse the steam going into the funnel. I also made a cotton duck drawstring cover to keep the hats from touching the hot metal which has the added benefit of further diffusing and distributing the steam. All I was shooting for here was hands free, whole crown steaming prior to blocking and that's exactly what I got. I always love it when a plan comes together.
IMG_0657 (480x360).jpg
IMG_0660 (480x360).jpg

DOGMAN

One Too Many
View attachment 131528
Very cool.It has kind of a steampunk look.

A couple of weeks back I posted soem pictures of an old steaming device. It's called the "Favorit" by German manufacturer G. Albrecht. Well, I've been tinkering with it and I have it working again! The hardest part was getting the closing cap to loosen up. Repaired the knob, removed the scale from the kettle with white vinegar (as far as it would go) and managed to find some old bakalite plugs that I rewired. Plugged it in with a fair bit of apprehension, but no full black-out ensued and the device lets rip an amount of steam like it needs to power a train. Joy! Even my wife looked at me with a hint of pride (after dismissing the whole "old junk" project for the last few weeks of course):)

All it needs now is some polishing.

IMG_0882.jpg
IMG_0883.jpg
IMG_0884.jpg
IMG_0885.jpg
IMG_0886.jpg

humanshoes

One Too Many
A couple of weeks back I posted soem pictures of an old steaming device. It's called the "Favorit" by German manufacturer G. Albrecht. Well, I've been tinkering with it and I have it working again! The hardest part was getting the closing cap to loosen up. Repaired the knob, removed the scale from the kettle with white vinegar (as far as it would go) and managed to find some old bakalite plugs that I rewired. Plugged it in with a fair bit of apprehension, but no full black-out ensued and the device lets rip an amount of steam like it needs to power a train. Joy! Even my wife looked at me with a hint of pride (after dismissing the whole "old junk" project for the last few weeks of course):)

All it needs now is some polishing.

View attachment 133986 View attachment 133988 View attachment 133989 View attachment 133990 View attachment 133991
Nice work steur! It's so true what they say about one man's trash...

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks CWV. I fired it up this morning and am happy to report that, even without the pressure and volume of the $2500 commercial units, the steam to the funnel side is more than sufficient for my purposes. The funnel is a 6 1/2" galvanized job that I picked up from my local Rural King store for 7 bucks and there is a removable brass filter screen in the base that serves to diffuse the steam going into the funnel. I also made a cotton duck drawstring cover to keep the hats from touching the hot metal which has the added benefit of further diffusing and distributing the steam. All I was shooting for here was hands free, whole crown steaming prior to blocking and that's exactly what I got. I always love it when a plan comes together.
View attachment 131878 View attachment 131879
Genius!!

With Max’s blessing, photos of some of the famed Ignacio’s tools:

This appears to be a conformateur/conformer like several I’ve seen before:

ab255f2ea520af383d1bb9361f7205b3.png

This is a new to me (not saying much) tool. It appears to be a vintage stretcher.

8f469b391d06250b10c098997e785c3c.png

43e3aa22a7b67152ac1eb16e7d124e67.png

Thanks for sharing, Max. I’d be thinking about a nice Christmas gift for Ignacio. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany