Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

EstherWeis

Vendor
If anyone is interested...
Looks like they got some good stuff!

9da54eeaa50b1539f51209c3f217850c.jpg

EstherWeis

Vendor
Color 35 is striking.

I agree with you, this was supposed to go on the vintage buntal I made for my fathers 60th birthday. Helas, with the attacks on Brussels the post decided not to be efficient and hold back all packages.
I'm still waiting on sweats that were posted 4 weeks ago...

Xylophile

One of the Regulars
My Jaxonbilt Hat Co conformer.
View attachment 49127
that's quite a nice tool! I saved the image and zoomed in which revealed that the slotted moving parts seem to have a top and bottom and wrap around the halo part so that the two vertical ends (or feet) are about the size of a sweat. And I'll bet there's an elastic band that pulls the moving parts snug to the head, maybe one on the bottom too. Is that accurate?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
that's quite a nice tool! I saved the image and zoomed in which revealed that the slotted moving parts seem to have a top and bottom and wrap around the halo part so that the two vertical ends (or feet) are about the size of a sweat. And I'll bet there's an elastic band that pulls the moving parts snug to the head, maybe one on the bottom too. Is that accurate?
I don't believe, they are wrapped around the halo. Just one piece on top of the halo. Then a "T-bar" in one end with a rubber band to pull the "fingers" against the head :)

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
I don't believe, they are wrapped around the halo. Just one piece on top of the halo. Then a "T-bar" in one end with a rubber band to pull the "fingers" against the head :)

Ole is correct on this one. The sliding parts do not have a top and a bottom, just a top piece that slides on top of the halo. The sliding piece is held in place with a wingnut but there is another stud that stays in position to keep the sliding part from rotating any. The end of the sliders has a vertical piece attached to make a T-Bar. Each T-Bar appears to have been hand sculpted to give it a slight bevel to help with sliding it on and off someone's head. Finally the is some elastic that wraps around each of the T-Bar pieces that provides some tension to make it snug. Once you get the size correctly you can take on and off as much as you like and it goes into place nicely. This seems to be entirely made out of acrylic plastic.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Easy enough to make Kevin. Jig saw, drill, and a bag of flat clothespins. It's crude, but works perfectly. I glued cork to the inner top and bottom plates to grab the pins when the screws are tightened.
Fruno, now you have me thinking....

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I guess, the "dangerous" part is the return shipment to the hatter. Vibrations and sliding around in the box may result in a distorted shape on arrival.

I wonder, how common is a flat bed scanner in American homes? If the costumer owns a scanner, he could put the conformer on top and run a scan. Then he could fold the conformer up for returning - and mail the scanned pic to the hatter. Just a thought :)

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
If the costumer owns a scanner, he could put the conformer on top and run a scan. Then he could fold the conformer up for returning - and mail the scanned pic to the hatter. Just a thought :)
It's a kind of dangerous method unless the costumer supply with some measures to verify the scan.
I once made some stickers for a costumer that supplied a scan and I made them based on the scan... the stickers were too small...

Xylophile

One of the Regulars
I guess, the "dangerous" part is the return shipment to the hatter. Vibrations and sliding around in the box may result in a distorted shape on arrival.

I wonder, how common is a flat bed scanner in American homes? If the costumer owns a scanner, he could put the conformer on top and run a scan. Then he could fold the conformer up for returning - and mail the scanned pic to the hatter. Just a thought :)
At first I thought the user could put the conformer on a maker-supplied, grid lined sheet of paper and having the user photograph the conformer on top of and aligned with the grid. Then I thought the user could simply lay the conformer on a sheet of paper and just trace the outline and send them both back. The supplier could just check everything and go on with his/her process.

And how about the supplier adding additional value by gluing that sheet on a piece of wood and making an optional shape retaining hat block for the buyer?

I imagine a hat maker would have better sense than me though and see that he was making his first block "upside down" with the taper going the wrong way... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot