Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

Wow, that was quick, Brad! Thanks for the reply. It's big & somewhat heavy to hold in one hand with a trumpet in the other. No wonder it appears to have been dropped a few times. Wonder why they aren't made of brass to match the instrument, or maybe some of them are?

humanshoes

One Too Many
Cool find there Dog. I wonder what their specific use was in the millinery process. I recently purchased these Speed-Mo Fountain Brush bottles. The brush bottle has a dispenser button that controlled the flow of the Speed-Mo cleaning solution. This was touted as a cleaner for everything from garments to typewriters. My idea is to use a dry cleaning fluid with this system to spot clean hats. We'll see how that works out.
DSC00971.JPG

RJR

Cool find there Dog. I wonder what their specific use was in the millinery process. I recently purchased these Speed-Mo Fountain Brush bottles. The brush bottle has a dispenser button that controlled the flow of the Speed-Mo cleaning solution. This was touted as a cleaner for everything from garments to typewriters. My idea is to use a dry cleaning fluid with this system to spot clean hats. We'll see how that works out. View attachment 41634
Anxious to hear how this works.

This stretcher looks similar to one of RJR's. I stumbled across the craigslist ad and jumped on it for the $50 price as I was "flush" with birthday cash. It was four blocks from work. Nice older turn-of-the-last-century home with a friendly fellow selling it to finance a new starter for his car. I was a bit nervous about the meet-up as I'm pretty sure I could have bought crack or meth across the street. I survived ...

25264434785_07da4801be_z.jpg

24968835570_7dbc0b5754_z.jpg

25264433185_a15a973d10_z.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
This stretcher looks similar to one of RJR's. I stumbled across the craigslist ad and jumped on it for the $50 price as I was "flush" with birthday cash. It was four blocks from work. Nice older turn-of-the-last-century home with a friendly fellow selling it to finance a new starter for his car. I was a bit nervous about the meet-up as I'm pretty sure I could have bought crack or meth across the street. I survived ...

awesome catch !!!

Great snag, Bob. You've alerted me to these before and I'm glad you found one. Crack neighborhoods are like going home for me.

rclark

Call Me a Cab

I have one just like yours. Great deal!

RJR

Yes,very similar to one of mine,great catch.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
While not specifially for hatters, I did score this at a thrift store today. Seems to have all parts, and it works. It should bind a brim nicely.

3c89260008868e6561468a38efacda47.jpg

The problem I had with my Brother machine is that the body sticks out about 2.75 inches from where the sewing is occurring. Anything with a brim shorter than an OR meant I was dealing with the crown trying to prevent me from getting the brim edge under the presser foot. That led to frustration and bad words spoken loudly. And crumpled crowns.
I downloaded the manual, and couldn't help but notice the rampant sexism of the day, as the user was always referred to as female (a wonan sewing by hand must pull each stitch tight, while a woman sewing by machine...just one example). What sold me on this machine other than the Pfaff name was the needle threader. A must have with my eyes.
Well, now to figure the whole thing out...:)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
While not specifially for hatters, I did score this at a thrift store today. Seems to have all parts, and it works. It should bind a brim nicely.
Congratulations, it's a true workhorse. You can stitch a wound on an elephant's leg with that. Machines used for brim binding have a so called "walking foot", which makes it so much easier to keep the ribbon in place. I'm not sure, how perfect it'll be for binding, but you got yourself a real fine machine :)

humanshoes

One Too Many
Great score Moehawk! That machine, because of it's zigzag stitch capability and power, would be perfect for joining sweatband ends together. I have an old Singer 301A that is set up just for that purpose.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Glad to know I found a good one! It needs a servicing, and some practice of course. Can't seem to find a manual for this particular machine though. The manual shows a model with the same number, but more knobs, a different top on the case, and a much different threading system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo