Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pick me up...

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I have recently moved, which means everything is in a state of flux, including me.

I feel totally icky and neglectful of self and anything that isnt house releated.

So...what do you all do when you are feeling down and otherwise icky....

Rules are:

Must be budgety...no "i run off to the spa for a day'.....

Preference is for things I already have....

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Nothing revolutionary here but I like to have a good long soak with (if you're like me) the "special" bath bubble/salts you keep for that occasion which never comes round, but anything bubbly would do just as well, face pack, foot soak body scrub etc. Then dress in something warm and snuggly and watch your favourite old movie that you haven't watched in ages with a vat of tea. Or hot chocolate!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Practice dancing (if there is no dance at that moment)
Listen to cheerful music
Pet my dog
Talk to a cheerful friend
Exercise (yes, really--it releases endorphins)
Have a good meal
Remember that "the kingdom of heaven is within you."

If there is a problem bothering me, I try to solve it. I write it down if necessary. Many problems and fears dissipate in the light of reason.

GOK

One Too Many
I was going to suggest the full body pamper route - especially good when you're feeling all dusty etc from moving. I also like to bake cakes and cookies.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like the idea of writing down everything you need to get accomplished in the house. Do one or two of the easy ones. Go out and pick up that curtain rod or pack of lightbulbs. Then be done with it for the day, and hop in the tub with a book and glass of wine...or beverage of choice.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
I wash and set my hair, and maybe do my makeup. If I plan to leave the house I put a little more effort than normal into dressing, but if I feel like that I probably don't have a reason to leave the house.

Then I force myself to get up and work on something, even if it's just something like serging some pattern pieces I've already cut out or pinning everything so it's ready to sew. Then I at least feel a little productive and un-lumpish.

Madison Paige

Familiar Face
Exercise! Just take some headphones and a portable cd player, tape player, radio, ipod (whatever it is you can get your hands on), it will REALLY take your mind off things and calm you down. I've also noticed that I feel better after running either on a track on outside somewhere, rather then going and working out at a gym, just because if you go to a gym, you then have to deal with parking, waiting for a machine, etc, which may make your head spin even more!

Also, getting enough sleep really helps. I know its hard to find the time to do it, but plan everything out, so at some point in the day, you can just get in some cozy pajamas and take a nap. I've found sleep is the best medicine, whatever your problem may be.

Novella

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
Then dress in something warm and snuggly and watch your favourite old movie that you haven't watched in ages with a vat of tea. Or hot chocolate!

That's my favorite thing to do. Sometimes going on a long walk or blasting music and dancing around are good too, although I usually just go for movie therapy. I'll drink tea or hot chocolate, but I've made it a self rule not to eat junk or drink alcohol when I'm feeling depressed or in a slump, so I don't start a bad habit.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Comfort food!!!!

Food always makes me feel a bit better...like ordering something from a favorite Italian restraunt....and of course chocolate!
What also makes me feel more cheerful is a good chickflick....not one of those where you need a kleenex...something on the fun side

Kim_B

Practically Family
Anytime I'm at home ill or just feeling really blah I'll watch one of these movies:

While You Were Sleeping
Joe Vs. The Volcano
Sleepless in Seattle
You've Got Mail
When Harry Met Sally
Bridget Jones' Diary
Down With Love
That Thing You Do
The Princess Bride
The Wedding Singer
Never Been Kissed
Fever Pitch
Clueless

For some reason, these are the movies that always seem to make me smile (and it just so happens they are all romantic comedies in one way or another).

wibblebird

New in Town
Oh! The Gallery of Regrettable Food!

I hadn't thought of that in a long time. I spent many an hour giggling through those!

Apparantly my fave pamper myself activity is shared - I like to get into my pajamas, crawl into bed with my cat and several movies. I'll order in dinner, eat cookies, drink a glass of wine, but not leave the bedroom.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to indulge this way in years. The husband won't let me, and now my 11-month old needs my attention. THe most I can afford now is a long hot bath with a book. I usually get enough personal time for that.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For me I tend to sleep till hours that dont count, do a hot salt soak for my feet, a deep conditioning for my hair, my pooch on my lap, eating foods with ingredients Ill never pronounce, and watching sappy movies I will never admit to people I have seen :D

Mmmmm, perfect.

LD

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
When I'm in a bit of a funk, and really, who hasn't had those days, I rely on a cup of hot chocolate and a good book.

I'd like to recommend "I Captured The Castle" by Dodie Smith. A completely cozy posie book that is like wrapping yourself up in a nice blanket. And please feel free to add a sweet furry animal to the mix to curl up at your feet.

And also talking to a friend can help too.

Hope you are feeling better!

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Well, all the best has already been suggested--My personal therapy is making a cup of tea (with milk & sugar!), taking a long, hot bubble bath, then slipping on robe and slippers, curling up on the sofa with a thick novel or book of poetry, and getting lost, with the perfect melodies of Chopin in the background. Actually, I just got two enormous volumes of Robert Browning & Elizabeth Barrett's letters to each other, which will be perfect for these types of situations.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
A good movie, with a bowl of popcorn with :eek: butter! Anything feel good or eye candy is great. I also loved to spend time with my monster, a Dachshund, but he had to leave in the fall, so I'm waiting till the end of the week for my new trouble maker Tipperary. There's nothing better than a cuddly puppy for when you feel low.

melankomas

One of the Regulars
generally, when i feel this way, it has to do with terribly adult issues. responsibilities, worries, et cetera. i respond by doing remarkably childish things. i might watch cartoons (this is a weekly activity), buy a coloring book, or simply go to a park and play with my friends who happen to be children. this is likely very silly, but it generally cheers me.

olive bleu

One Too Many
What you really need is to get out of the house!!

I really sympathize.. i am in the middle of packing and i am moving on Saturday:eek:

I have realized that 80% of the stress in my life happens in my own house(packing/unpacking, cleaning, bills, kids, spouse, etc. or my home is in some way where i remember all the stress. it has gotten to the point where, i can,t relax at home...only when i am outside of it) I don't have any money either-especially not with moving around the holidays so something that doesn't cost a lot...take a walk/ sit in your favourite cafe with a book or magazine or just watch people going by/ go to a library & sit & read magazines/ go to a movie by yourself/... or if you are not a person who likes to be alone like i do.. do any of the above with a friend... but above all... GET OUT OF THAT HOUSE!!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW