Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Picnic Ideas & Food

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
*bump*

Oh Binkie, what a marvellous picnic set.

While it's still rather chilly in the Southern Hemisphere, I thought our Northern neighbours might have a few more picnic ideas.

I always think champage and smoked salmon sandwiches are nice.

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
Picnic Food

Some friends and I are going to see a flying display of vintage aircraft and are of course going to dress accordingly. We are planning on taking a picnic and I was wondering what to take in order to make a proper 1920s/30s picnic.

There are the usual sandwiches, cold meats, pickles, bread, lemonade and ginger beer but does anyone have any suggestions that will make this vintage day out truly splendid? (bearing in mind that we shall be driving cars and also have a 2 year old with us, so alcohol consumption will be limited!)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
You can't go past a good bacon and egg pie for a picnic. Serve it with a decent chutney. Same goes for scotch eggs, but make sure you make your own, the supermarket bought ones aren't a patch on homemade.

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
Thanks for that guys, I do love scotch eggs and Elaina, that link is great!

It's funny actually how the more I look into it, the more it seems that picnics (or at least the ones that I pack) have actually changed incredibly little over this past 70 or 80 years.

cupcake

Familiar Face
After all the rain we've been having I'm longing for the warmer weather and picnic season! The view from kings park and some cucumber sandwiches sound right up my alley.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BinkieBaumont said:
"Now I need a new picnic blanket......any ideas?"

luncheon_on_the_grass.jpg

http://www.atypyk-e-shop.com/boutique_us/fiche_produit.cfm?ref=AT29168&type=2&code_lg=lg_us&num=0

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Actually, it's a magnificent day here in New York. Expected to hit 65F, (hmmm . . . that's 18C). The leaves are pretty much long gone upstate and in New England, but they're still pretty spectacular here. Not as many sugar maples, which really put on the best show, but still lots of nice color. I think I just talked myself into it.
So, adding 6 months to our calendar to determine the equivalent month down there, you Ozites and Kiwis are just hitting May. The flowers that bloom in the spring, tra la. Enjoy.

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
Binkie:

The National Trust do some lovely picnic blankets. We have one of the Celtic ones and it is of lovely thick wool that doesn't let the damp or the thistles through and is lovely and heavy so as not to fold up in a strong breeze. It's also lovely and warm if you happen to start to freeze midway through. All admirable qualities for a picnic rug, I think!

http://shop.nationaltrust.org.uk/category/rugs/7/0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0/1

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Well if it is cooler, you can add a thermos of soup to the mix. A nice consomme? Scotch eggs and pork pie go everywhere, but I'd be tempted to do a raised game pie in autumn - less easy to get in Australia but a mixture of kangaroo and emu fillet for flavour and minced belly pork for texture would be good.

And a shooter's sandwich. http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandst...w-to-make-shooters-sandwich?picture=360719882

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
d785768391ch-001.jpg.jpg

"Oh I like the look of that, a bit fiddly, would it not be best to scoop the bread out and then freeze it overnight? so that its does not go soggy when the hot meat is put in, or would it be even soggier, I want to try this but need to get it right, or it would end up being a rather expensive savoury version of "Eaton Mess"

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Well that is an option - but I was thinking like a sourdough or one of those crusty Italian loaves, that have some real body, a substantial crust to hold everything in and a crumb that doesn't go gluey when soaked in something delicious. Is there Baker's Delight in WA? Their sourdough cobs and viennas would be just the ticket.

Chainsaw

Suspended
Try a making a stuffed bread! Just take regular bread, role it out to about a hlah inch, and fill with your favorite toppings. Fold close. It's fantastic with feta, sun dried tomatoes et-cetera. Maybe it would work for this "shooters sandwich". I'd love to try that.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner