Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pictures of Ladies with Hair Adornments

leaette

A-List Customer
bakinginpearls: how do you use the real flowers? what type of clip or barrette do you use? i love that idea.

i watch a lot of TCM and it seems like women were always getting pinned corsages from their dates when going out to dinner. orchids were REALLY popular.
i wish that was still popular. i'd love to have a real corsage and not feel weird wearing it. seems like the only time you see women wearing them is on mothers day and it's usually someone who is a grandma.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BakingInPearls said:
Such wonderful photos to get inspired by!

I have an affinity to get real flowers and a matching boutonni?®re for special events. Here is the best photo showing off the flowers in my hair and the second is what I got for the boyfriend.

SemaBanquetAug07.jpg

SemaBanquetAug074.jpg

I always find that using a more exotic flower works better, this time around I chose gardenia's they both look and smell great!
Ooh, you are beautiful! Such flawless skin. Please, I simply must know all of the makeup you are wearing, if you don't mind. The movie stars were pretty but you are certainly a beauty.
I also find I enjoy a more exotic flower. Now I even find myself choosing the larger flower in my collection! And, nice tie.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Here is a closeup photo of some silk flowers I put in my hair for a show last Saturday.
I loved the colors of the dress so I decided to mix flowers to match. For small flowers like this, I just clip off stems and bunch them together, and then pin them in using a pincurl clip.

bluehairflowers.jpg

Here is a closeup of the bodice/fabric of the dress I was wearing:

blueneckline.jpg

~*Red*~

Practically Family
My mom knows I love hair flowers so she is always on the look out for an interesting find and this is what she got for me! It's my new favorite!

DSC00155.jpg

And here is my little girl wearing the flowers I made for her.. she likes to be like her mommy <3

DSC00156.jpg

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
Leaette- I just buy the flowers from the flower shop and ask them to not cut the steams off to much (leave about 2 inches) and I just pin them with bobby pins. They are fairly light in weight so is you cross bobby pins over they will stay all night.

BegintheBeguine- Thank you so much for the nice comments. I wear the cheapest makeup, but am fanatical about taking care of my skin. I have Revlon Color Stay as a foundation, use the Max grease pan stick for under my eyes and problem areas, and Cotie Powder to finish it off. For lipstick it's always Mac. As for my skin I always take my makeup off at night and mositurize in the morning and evening with Shiseido cream The Skincare line. I will let my boyfriend know about the tie he collects them like mad but they are always nice so I can't complain.

Hopefully that helps and sorry for the delay!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
NicolettaRose said:
So many people recreating vintage looks wear flowers in thier hair. Was this a popular look at one time to wear with dresses, or just something modern. I have never seen this vintage look outside of gals wear it with swimsuits. Anyone have any vintage pics showing what type of flowers worn?

I dont think I can recall a time in history/or a culture when women didnt wear flowers or some type of organic ornament in their hair. If anything, its odd that more women dont do it now.

holliday.jpg

On more of a Golden Era note, Lady Day always wore gardenias. It was her trademark.

LD

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
ShortClara- thank you so much for the nice comment I only wish I could get my hair color like your in you userpic it's a wonderful shade.

Lady Day- When I was trying to explain to my boyfriend what gardenia's looked like I told him it was the signature flower of Billie Holiday and he just looked at me blankly, I was shocked that he didn't know and am now on a mission to educate him about her and her wonderful music!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I went to joanns to buy some flowers the other day, and they were basically sold out. Well, of the less expensive ones. Grr. I didnt feel like forking over 10 bucks for artifical flowers that day. And I wanted to make flower clips. Sigh

ScarlettTurner

New in Town
Fantastic

Hello, ladies ~

I adore flowers, in one's hair, and especially, pinned on the lapel of
a jacket.

I would think using a hot glue gun, to adhere a silk flower to a large,
flat bobby pin, would also be an option.

Adore the look.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Lady Day said:
I dont think I can recall a time in history/or a culture when women didnt wear flowers or some type of organic ornament in their hair. If anything, its odd that more women dont do it now.

holliday.jpg

On more of a Golden Era note, Lady Day always wore gardenias. It was her trademark.

LD

LD, if this Lady Day isn't related to you I'll eat your hat. Gardenias, the quintessential 40's flower.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Vintage photos of ladies with accessories in their hair

Do any of you ladies have any vintage photos or know where to find them online of ladies (even celebrities) with flowers in their hair? or snoods? or combs?

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I used to have this really cool one of Ginger Rogers with what I call Hair Jewelry ( i don't know what it is really called) in her hair in a fab updo and it's what inspired me to do updo's.. but I have no idea where it is. It may be still with some of my old Beauty school stuff, but that is buried somewhere....to be found some strange time when I have room and time to go through my boxes of things. lol

I will look through my stuff and see what I can find for you though. I may have to scan and email them to you though.. copyrights and all..;)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
oooooh, that's a good one! She's got great angles with that do...and the pretty jewelry sets it off nicely:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo