Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pince-Nez Eyewear

Warbaby

One Too Many
pince-nez1.jpg

Here's a photo of the pince-nez that I wear daily for reading glasses. That little gizmo at the end of the chain goes (obviously) around my ear. Looks a bit goofy when the glasses are just dangling there, but I never misplace or drop my glasses.

When I was taking this photo I noticed that the cork on the nosepieces was getting worn and I've since replaced it. It's an easy fix. Thin sheet cork is available at model train and hobby shops. Usually the cork is just glued on so all you have to do is remove the old cork with a thin bladed knife, cut the new cork to size and stick it on with contact cement. On this pair, the cork was set in a crimped channel. I picked out the old cork, uncrimped the channel with flat-nose jewelers' pliers, cut new cork to fit, and gently burnished the crimp back down.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
scotrace said:
I use an old pair of hoopspring pince-nez in addition to my regular glasses, worn low on my nose in front of them, as reading glasses. Sort of cobbled bifocals. :)

The advantage is that I can easily stick them in a shirt pocket to be pulled out in a darkened restaurant to read the menu, or to quickly read something at a newsstand, etc.
:eusa_clap Thanks, Scott! I am all over this.

Alan B.

New in Town
Beautiful pince-nez, Warbaby! You have the rimmed lens in an oval shape which is hard to find. Most rimmed lenses are round, which don't work w/ most people. Good point about doing your own maintenance work w/ the cork.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Up For Grabs...

Since I wear only vintage frames or pince-nez glasses, I've ended up with quite a few from eBay and elsewhere that aren't right for me. They're up for grabs if anyone can use them. Since I don't remember what I paid for any of these (prolly very little, since I'm a notorious cheapskate) and don't have a clue how to value them, here's the deal: If you see one (or more) you want, PM me with your address and I'll send them off. When you get them you can decide what they're worth to you and either send me something in trade or throw a little something in my PayPal account (punxy@warbaby.com). Or not, if you'd rather not. If you decide they're really worthless crap or they don't work for you, don't waste your time sending them back - just pass them on to someone else. It's your call and whatever you do or don't do is just fine with me. Fair enough?

Too many to post in the forum, so I've put them up on my website at http://www.warbaby.com/specs.html

chuckknight

New in Town
Just discovered Pince Nez

Well, I just discovered what they're called, at least. It's not like most opticians know much about pince nez.

I think I would like to have a pair... Not too fond of wearing glasses, but the classic styles definitely appeal to me. There's a timeless nature to them. And, pince nez have the added benefit of being very minimalist. Presumably, with modern rimless lenses and anti reflection coating, they'd be virtually invisible. There's a certain appeal to that, for me.

I'm glad to be here, and to find people of like mind.

-- Chuck Knight

P.S. Warbaby, do you still have any of those frames that you offered? Since I'm new here, I can't yet PM an existing member...but if you're willing, contact me at buzz (at) chuckknight (dot) com.

wldthistle

New in Town
Warbaby,

I'm in the same boat as Chuck: new member, can't send PM's yet. I'd love to give Number 3 (the "wearable" sunglasses) a shot though. If you're so inclined, you can reach me at lonethistle at gmail.

Thanks for the offer!

-Greg

chuckknight

New in Town
Warbaby said:
Yes, I still have a bunch of them. In fact, I was just about to post them in the classified. Check what's left on the link in my earlier post and let me know if you want any of them.

OK, of those on the list, I like nos 3 and 10. Numbers 8 and 9 are kinda' neat, too...I can definitely tell why you chose them in the first place.

Are there screws and parts in the unwearable pairs? They might be useful for some people, too...I just bought a pair off eBay, myself, and am concerned about parts. It's missing a lens, and *might* be missing the mounting screw from that side. Their condition is otherwise remarkable, though, so I think they'll be complete.

Anyway, please let me know if 3 and 10 are spoken for. And, thank you!

-- Chuck Knight

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I got a 1920s/30s pair in the mail today and I'm very happy with them. The spring tension is perfect--they feel solid on my face but they don't pinch my nose. I may have tinted lenses put into these as they are a nice size for sunglasses. I'm expecting an exquisite silver pair of pince nez later this week.

Apologies for the atrocious lighting in these pictures--I got glare everytime I used the flash.

pincenez.jpg

pincenez1b.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for the compliments everyone. I was worried they'd look too "Harold Lloyd"/costumey but I think they work. Now I just need to get my eyes checked and the lenses replaced.

Thanks especially to BTB for the Joanne Woodward comment--in my book that's high praise indeed; she's one of my favorite actresses and she seems like a great person as well. May I ask how you met her?

:eek:fftopic: My favorite piece of trivia about Joanne Woodward is that she sewed her own dress to wear to the Academy Awards ceremony--and it looked great.

Alan B.

New in Town
The eyeglasses look great on you OldFashioned! That style probably works on 1 out of 50 people, but it found its mark on you. Definitely not Harold Lloyd.

This weekend we will be having our nose pad giveaway on the Pince-Nez Renaissance. Send in your photo wearing pince-nez and we'll send out two pairs of silicone nose pads. If you haven't tried them, silicone nose pads MAKE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE in comfort and security. You'll be able to wear pince-nez all day.

I am thrilled to see the great interest in pince-nez.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just beautiful...

Oh and IOF, no hanging off clocks on the side of 20 floor buildings ;) (If anyone is familiar with 'that' famous Harold Lloyd piece! :) ).

You look absolutely 'darling' in those specs, and I can only echo the sentiments of the gentlemen before me :)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
imo, if I saw you in a coffee shop or library wearing those, I would instantly be intrigued, and probably inspired to a conversational gambit.

They're an interesting yet subtle enough choice in this day and age to mark a very rare person.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
imoldfashioned said:
Thanks especially to BTB for the Joanne Woodward comment--in my book that's high praise indeed; she's one of my favorite actresses and she seems like a great person as well. May I ask how you met her?

:eek:fftopic: My favorite piece of trivia about Joanne Woodward is that she sewed her own dress to wear to the Academy Awards ceremony--and it looked great.
You're quite welcome. Now that you mentioned it, I remembered reading that trivia and was impressed, as the gals in my family, as well as some of the guys, have always made many of our clothies.
I like telling this anecdote, mostly to show what an airhead I am: My dad, his best friend, and I used to go to Watkin's Glen for Can-Ams, Trans-Ams, Grand Prix and other SCCA races. This was when I was in college. Back then I was one of the very few females there. My dad and friend were usually working in the timing and scoring areas and I'd sometimes be in the stands with a pit pass. One day I started up a conversation with a nice lady. We were chatting for several minutes about this and that, including why we were spectating. "My husband is racing," she told me. "Oh, what's your husband's name?" I asked, looking at the schedule.
"P.L. Newman."
I didnt miss a beat. "I loved your performance in The Long Hot Summer." :eek: By the way, I'd already seen Paul Newman through my binoculars getting into his race car. His eyes really are that blue. :D
Ashley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy