Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plaid Wool Mackinaws

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well, to each his own I guess. The one from River Junction is a great looking coat as well. I happen to like the large amout of pockets on this one.
Do you have any shots of you in the Highlands wearing yours Ken? Would love to see it in action.

Cheers!

Dan

Ken

A-List Customer
Its something I have been meaning to do for ages and your post inspired me to get my act together and get it done. I left it in yesterday to get altered and pick it up on Tuesday.

Ken

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I know it doesn show the entire coat but I found that it went really well with my Stetson Sovereign. I will try to post some better shots of the coat later.

IG013.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Ten-Mile Cloth

I just spent some time online searching for a blaze orange, plaid mackinaw, and wouldn't you know it, apparently such a creature doesn't exist? I did find one place that was willing to hand paint the black parts on a solid orange fabric with fabric dye, however, which could be an interesting option. The best thing I found was Johnson Woolen Mills' reversible coat, which has the classic styling with buffalo plaid on one side and blaze orange on the other. Still, it's only available in green plaid and orange, not red. Rather unfortunate if you ask me.

-Dave

celtic

A-List Customer
I own that Woolrich coat.

Although they are now imported, they are still very good quality.

I got mine for $80 on summer closeout from Gander Mountain a couple years ago.

They are cut very large so you can layer.

The one thing I don't like are the cuffs inside the sleeves. While they are great at keeping the cold out, I think they are too high up inside the sleeves...I suppose that's so you can wear long gloves, but it just feels akward to me.

I fell in love with the wool hunting gear after seeing my best friend's father's gear as a kid. He had the red Woolrich jacket and grey wool pants to match. Very sharp looking.

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Love the Mackinaws but PADDY..

The lamellophone to which you refer has nothing to do with Judaism. Yes it's know as the "Jew's harp" but it's got zip to do with Jews.

It's also known as a marranzano pancake, which, I think, has a better ring to it.

You say pedanticism, I say "know your lamellophones young man"

in the spirit of sharing knowledge ;)

shortbow

Practically Family
Thanks for bringing this tread back. Nice stuff. My mac is (was) made by Jones Tent and Awning of Vancouver, marketed under the PIONEER brand. Spittin' image of the Woolrich. Also got me one of them Kromer caps this fall and have found it very warm and functional in addition to its cool vintage look.

Lance Uppercut

Familiar Face
I've got an vintage Pendleton coat like this that I've been wearing for the past couple weeks but the color scheme in browns and black. I get more complements on it than I can count.

retro50

Familiar Face
I've owned this Filson's double cape mackinaw for almost 30 years. Mine is actually made in Seattle. I paid $75.00 for it in 1982. Now it goes for $350.00

f083rbc_detail.jpg

I just ordered one of these from Woolrich. Unfortunately, no longer made in the US and it cost me more than my mackinaw!

102_RBL.jpg

Creeping Past

One Too Many
This thread spurred me into action. I've been thinking about getting a cruiser for a while. So I ordered a Filson mackinaw cruiser (green), which arrived in the post on Thursday. I've been wearing it non-stop ever since. Yesterday I was out in driving rain all day, from around 10 am and the damp started creeping in around 6 pm. But I stayed warm.

I'm a 46 chest and it's cut with enough room for a bulky sweater plus wool undershirt, or undershirt, shirt and sweater. I've tried both combos, one on an icy cold damp morning, and in the pouring rain and I stayed warm both ways.

It's a very impressive piece of clothing. It's a shame the UK stockist I got this from (he'll not be re-ordering Filson indefinitely due to the £/$ rate) was out of the Elmer Fudd red plaid mackinaw cap. I'll have to wait for one to come up on UK Ebay, I think, because I don't want to get caught paying customs fees on a ridiculous hat.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Daniel, thanks. That Stormy Kromer hat is indeed beyond Fudd. But to me it's on the same branch line, stopping at Huey, Dewey, Louie and Goofy... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW