Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plain colored ties

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Ok. I first have to say that I am a complete novice when it comes to vintage ties. Most of you guys seems to favor bright-colored ties with sometimes pretty wild patterns, while I'm generally more of a plain color type who likes a few very simple patterns (like diagonal stripes for example), if any. What's more, I tend to dress in rather dark, muted or somber colors, as Torpedo once put it, with lots of grays.

The problem is that there seem to be no solid colored/simply patterned vintage ties out there whatsoever. Were they all sold or has there simply never been a market for them way back when? [huh]

I'm still looking...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Actually, plain colored/simply patterned vintage '30s and '40s ties were everywhere. The reason why they're somewhat difficult to find now? Simple. Most buyers don't want them, so most vintage clothing dealers don't bother trying to sell them. Ties like the ones you seek are given away by vintage dealers to thrift stores, or simply thrown away. (Don't wince! lol)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Actually, plain colored/simply patterned vintage '30s and '40s ties were everywhere. The reason why they're somewhat difficult to find now? Simple. Most buyers don't want them, so most vintage clothing dealers don't bother trying to sell them. Ties like the ones you seek are given away by vintage dealers to thrift stores, or simply thrown away. (Don't wince! lol)

Didn't wince. Just fell over and hit the keyboard really hard with my forehead. Still didn't wince but started to cry instead... :p ;)

DapperDuck

Familiar Face
Marc Chevalier said:

Thanks Mario and Marc. I was wondering what happened to the staid and not so garish ties of yesteryear. I have never liked novelty ties, vintage or contemporary.

Does anyone want to go dumpster diving? lol ;)

Feraud

Bartender
A few plain and diagonal stripe ties.
DSC07354.jpg

1245763775.jpg

DSC06931.jpg

DSC06724.jpg

1260885105.jpg

3ade244a.jpg

DSC07594.jpg

1263234442.jpg

I also have a couple of conservate polka dot ties.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Mario said:
Ok. I first have to say that I am a complete novice when it comes to vintage ties. Most of you guys seems to favor bright-colored ties with sometimes pretty wild patterns, while I'm generally more of a plain color type who likes a few very simple patterns (like diagonal stripes for example), if any. What's more, I tend to dress in rather dark, muted or somber colors, as Torpedo once put it, with lots of grays.

The problem is that there seem to be no solid colored/simply patterned vintage ties out there whatsoever. Were they all sold or has there simply never been a market for them way back when? [huh]

I'm still looking...

I wen through a little phase of completely plain silk ties, so I know have a nice collection. I quite like them as it keeps dressing simple but stylish.

I don't have a white or pink one though.

Edward

Bartender
Some years back, maybe a decade ago, I was actually looking at the idea of thinning out my tie collection. Since I discovered vintage, I can't get enough.... lol. I just need to find a deccent seamstress who will take on and give me a bulk deal for shortening my modern ties. I hate wearing a tie any longer than two or three inches above the waistband just as much as I hate tieknots the size of my own fist..... Square that circle with a modern tie, Toto.

One of my favourite modern ties is a plain silk one in a bright scarlet red. I love that one with a dark grey or black suit, plain shirt, black shoes... the only other splash of colour being a coordinating pocket square. Quite devilish, IMO.

Edward

Bartender
Quigley Brown said:
If you watch most vintage films the men usually have on plain ties. For some reason it's the bad guys who'd be wearing the wild ones. lol

Villains always have the better wardrobe. Sure, they only invented the antihero so that the "good" guy could dress as well as his nemesis for once! lol

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I was going to comment on this also. If one looks at the ties in old movies you might get the impression that patterned ties were sort of rare!

Quigley Brown said:
If you watch most vintage films the men usually have on plain ties. For some reason it's the bad guys who'd be wearing the wild ones. lol

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Quigley Brown said:

Hmmm...makes me wonder about the company I'm keeping here on the Lounge... :eek: ;)

If somebody is willing to part with a few of his plain colored ties...I'd love to be the good guy every now and then! :D

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Mario said:
If somebody is willing to part with a few of his plain colored ties... :D
Them I will take them please. :)

I have one vintage-ish plain black polyester tie. I think it could be 60s but I'm not sure. At least it's my only tie which is not so long that when tied the shorter end has to be tucked inside my shirt. Personally I like plain ties with a simple but not striped pattern such as diagonal squares (I have two like this which work well for pretty much any occaision). I have an aversion to striped ties because they end up looking like school ties to me.

johnny

New in Town
I tend to prefer more plain looking ties myself (single color, simple stripes, or polka dots), though I only have a couple vintage ties. I am actually very fond of polka dot ties and have noticed that they are showing up in stores a bit more lately.

I think that completely plain (i.e. single color) ties are an essential part of any wardrobe. They go well with patterned shirts or suits, keep things simple, and are also a nice way for someone to get used to wearing a tie (and hey, Cary Grant wore them all the time!). I wear a tie everyday to work these days (by choice, as I teach at a university) and find myself putting on a single color tie at least once or twice each week. I hadn't thought about the whereabouts of single color vintage ties before, but find it interesting and logical that they don't turn up much because the market just isn't there. So, if we all go to a few local vintage or thrift stores and inquire about them maybe, just maybe...

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Thrift stores with vintage clothing seem to be a major problem here in Berlin - or rather the lack thereof. You rarely find anything that predates the 1960's. The 1970's and 80's are all the rage as well, but earlier stuff is almost impossible to find around here - and if you do, you should be prepared to face some really substantial, exorbitant price tags. :mad:

NeilA

Familiar Face
I only have three ties, one is vintage. (I know, I'm a shame and disgrace;) :p )

Heres a pic

Picture12.jpg

Left to right: 1) Solid sky blue silk 2) Gold with blue and white squares 3) Green silk with an abstract design.

Guess the vintage one. :D

Still having trouble getting those photos to show up...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy