Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Planting from Seeds

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Hello,

I do, but haven't had time this year.

If I did...I would choose lavender, viola, portulaca, lemon balm, califonia poppy, and I could probably go on and on...but, what I would really like to do where it concerns plants is start and try to keep a rose garden.

I have a 'thing' for those 'sniffy roses'...:rolleyes:

Prien

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
I love roses, but am clumsy when it comes to grooming them. I always get my hands slashed from the thorns...............maybe I should wear gloves:D

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
I started everything except tomatoes from seed this year...we moved into this house last year, and one of the reasons we bought it was because it had a nice garden area on the east side of the backyard already there, plus lots of flowerbeds! The previous owners, Sam and Minnie, were quite the gardeners and had tons of stuff going all year long. I live in Phoenix, and the growing seasons are a bit different from other places. I planted the garden the end of February, and planted nasturtiums right after Christmas! I used chicken guano in the front flower beds and horse manure in the back area. Now that it is starting to get warm, my mater plants are just getting huge, and the spinach is starting to get unhappy. I also did a couple pots of lettuce just to nibble on. I plan to plant pumpkins in July for an October harvest. That will be an experiment as I have never done it before! I have been mulching and watering faithfully everyday, and everything except the cukes are doing well. They just grow slowly, right? I was hoping to do pickles this year because I am also growing dill, but now I think we may have to take a trip up north to the u-pick places for cukes.

Anyone want to see pictures? My nasty urchins are blooming like crazy!
Jenny

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Rockapin-up said:
I love roses, but am clumsy when it comes to grooming them. I always get my hands slashed from the thorns...............maybe I should wear gloves:D

You could try Zephirine Drouhin. It's a thornless Bourbon rose, intoduced c. 1867. It smells wonderful, and the plants get large. I know; I have five bushes of it. Contact a local rose society and ask if Zephirine Drouhin grows well where you live.

I like to mix rose bushes into the rest of my garden instead of having separate beds for them. My favorites: Rose de Rescht, Rosa glauca, Alba Semiplena, Ilse Krohn Superior, and Veilchenblau. I like to grow them with catmint.

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
:) Thank you Prien, I should be more nice to them instead of just hacking them away :eusa_doh:

Thank you Paisly I shall have to try that variety.

And RedHot,

Do show us some photos. I always love to see peoples beautiful gardens. ;)

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Well, roses are easier to grow from cuttings than seed anyway, although I have seen it offered.

Right now I have Sweet Peas along the fence that are doing nicely. I always try to grow herbs from seed too but the snails always get them!

Anyone know any plants that snails don't like? Basil isn't one of them. I can't even buy small plants for that one.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Some plants are poisonous. Snails might stay away from those.

You can also put diatomaceous earth around the plants or put out tuna cans full of beer.

As for growing roses from seed, that would take a lot of patience. Even from cuttings, it takes roses about three years to hit their stride.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
ShooShooBaby said:
you can also surround the plant with a "collar" made of a ring of tin can!

That's a good idea, but for another level of protection, I have had a LOT of luck with copper tape. I bought it at the local hardware store in the pest control aisle. It is a roll of copper ribbon with adhesive on one side about an inch wide. I think it runs about $10 a roll, so it isn't cheap, but I've had good luck with it, and it can be used more than one season.

I apply the tape to whatever kind of collar I come up with for the plant. In the past I have used old styrofoam cups and take-out "clam shell" boxes that I cut the bottom out of. Grow the plant in the collar. At the end of the season, bring the collars in. Before the next planting, polish the copper band with a little vinegar to remove the oxidation and make it repellent to snails again.

Supposedly snail and slug slime reacts with the copper making it uncomfortable for them to cross.

I've also cut the bottom out of milk jugs and used them as cloches when the plants are small. Physically keeps the buggers out, and offers frost protection too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner