Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please judge fit of my new A2

I would not be surprised if RL has their A2's made in China...as much of their line seems to come from there. Including the USA Olympic Uniforms. :D
If you want an A2 that is "high end" as regards to authentic WW2 design and materials and not just price and "fashion name tag", I'd look elsewhere.
If you like the look and feel of the RL....I'd see if you can order a smaller size to try on and then return the one you like the least.

wild_balls

Practically Family
Hi,

Had one of the RRL vintage collection A2 like yours once, it was made in China! Quite well made, nice vintage finish to the leather, very expensive! I thought it was a little bit to roomy in a strange way, and very short arms. I do not know what you did pay for it, I don't think they make them anymore, so you might get them a little bit cheaper now! For that kind of money you can get a high end repro, why not a used one?
If you want it to fit more like an original one, then you will never get satisfied with this jacket (in my opinion)! I think Buzz Rickson and Ralph Lauren has made a nice A2 collaboration to a very high price . In the end, it is always how YOU like it to fit that matters! There goes a lot of A2's until you find the right one.

Cheers Joakim

wild_balls

Practically Family
Sorry, just noticed what you paid! Go for a used one like Aero ( check their Used and apprentice made site), Goodwear, Real Mccoy, Eastman, the list goes on!
Yes, RRL is a line from Ralph Lauren who specializes in vintage clothing.

"With roots in workwear and military-inspired apparel, RRL is dedicated to time-honored details that capture an authentic American spirit with a focus on integrity, character and timeworn charm."

Word is RRL is a labor of love for Mr. Ralph Lauren, who apparently makes little to no profit from this particular project.

They make nice jeans (good denim + made in USA) & sweaters, but the retail price is prohibitive. You need to wait to the annual private sale to get 50% off.

I just checked the store, and they have a L available. I bought this for $800, but it is now $719. Should I pull the trigger? Or still too much money?

irow

New in Town
This thread makes no sense, if you are so skinny then why did you even buy an XL? XL stands for extra large...

You would probably look best in a size medium since you are so skinny. Might as well exchange it for the right size.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The jacket is certainly too large and is not an accurate repro. You can buy a really decent high end repro, such as a Goodwear or an Eastman for around the price you paid for this RL jacket on Ebay.

irow

New in Town
It doesn't matter if you got bought a $10,000 jacket for $100, if it doesn't fit you properly then it is not a deal, what the hell happened to common sense???? You posted a picture of yourself in an obviously ill fitting jacket, are you that dense? Of course XL jackets go on sale often, not every one is 6" 5' and 250 lb, a skinny guy like yourself should look at brands that offer slimmer fits rather than looking for the price tag on the jacket (or at least get a better paying job so you don't have to).

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I made the same mistake getting into leather jackets. My first A-2 was an XL, because that was the T-shirt size I wore (I like large T-shirts circa 1990s) and didn't want to get anything smaller in fear of the jacket being too short (I'm 6'2"). I then went from a size 46 to a 44 thinking it would be the limit to how short I wanted the jacket to be. Still way too big. After a lot of trouble I am now a size 40, or even a 38 (my correct size). Not an easy way of doing things, but good luck. A few things I learned dealing with leather jackets (in particular A-2s) are that you should definitely not go by what size T-shirt you wear, that A-2s are short jackets (and will probably feel shorter than any other garment you have ever worn), and it helps to look up sizing feedback before you get a jacket, as certain manufacturers have different ways of sizing jackets. Once you get a jacket you are comfortable in, you can use those measurements as a basis going forward on future purchases. All of these tips have been discussed here before endlessly.

wild_balls

Practically Family
RP, the good thing is, you have a build that would fit right in to a snug fit A2 like an original ww2 pilot that some people on this forum only can dream of!!!
I will probably get in trouble now. :eek:

Richard Pryor

New in Town
I'm 6'1" and weigh 210lbs. I'm not skinny. Jacket was returned and bought the L for $719. I'll post fit pics once it gets here.

Thanks 4 your honesty and advice, guys. Really appreciate it.

irow

New in Town
I'm 6'1" and weigh 210lbs. I'm not skinny. Jacket was returned and bought the L for $719. I'll post fit pics once it gets here.

Considering your posted height and weight, you are still not a size XL. Most people I know that are about your height and weight don't wear XL clothing...

It doesn't explain your lack of common sense for going with a size XL in the first place. That jacket looks like a tent on you.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Considering your posted height and weight, you are still not a size XL. Most people I know that are about your height and weight don't wear XL clothing...

It doesn't explain your lack of common sense for going with a size XL in the first place. That jacket looks like a tent on you.

Show some courtesy here! The transition from clothing to leather is not always flawless!

cuthbert

One of the Regulars

I think you need a long medium to have a decent fit. I'm 5 11" for 150 lbs and I usually wear an S.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Actually, Richard has my sympathies when it comes to sizing. For years, I kept buying mediums because shops tended to stock a lot of that size, but also because during my teens in the late 80s and 90s, fashions were literally 'baggy', so to actually shift to 'fitted' clothes took me a while - my first two suits were 38s, which made me look a bit like David Byrne circa Stop Making Sense, and I recently chucked on an old long-sleeved t-shirt and wondered whether I'd accidently stolen somebody else's top from the washing line. Suffice to say, nowadays I look for clothes to fit.
Anyway, if you're an absolutely stickler for the trad A-2 fitting, then Richard's might look a bit 'tent-like' but I think if he had felt comfortable in it, then he could have got away with it. Certainly, there's plenty of room for a jumper! But whether or not I'd go to Ralph Lauren for a leather jacket, that's another question...

majormajor

One Too Many

With replies like this, I'm ashamed that he came on here to ask:eek::eek:

irow

New in Town
Show some courtesy here! The transition from clothing to leather is not always flawless!

I didn't mean to be harsh.

However I will say it seemed the OP was more interested the RRL brand name and getting a so called pricing deal, and ignoring fit in the process. Also considering Size L and XL brand name clothing go on sale at the end of season always, negating his so-called deal, one can't help but wonder if his priorities are out of order when buying the jacket. I hope his new size L will fit better, however looking at the pictures I have my doubts, taking 2 inches of the chest might be still too big.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Who's never 'settled' for something because it's a deal? I have a beautiful runway Paul Smith three-quarter length, single-breasted brown leather coat that I got for £300, knocked down from £1,000, just because it was a v slim 36. It fitted me, but it's the kind of thing you could only really wear at night for a special event: it's got over-sized split cuffs that need cufflinks (I made a pair from a set of old artillery tunic buttons), a single vent right up at the back and is so slim-fitting that I can only get a shirt or fine gauge sweater under it. I don't get a load of wear out of it, a few times a year if I'm lucky, but it looks great, and I always think "Ha, what a bargain" when I pull it on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran