Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please talk me out of buying a Fislon #86 wool packer coat.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I have had my eye on this coat for a few years now:
10040-main-010.jpg

I've read that this coat doesnt block wind well, its only 24oz wool, and its really neither dressy or casual. I dont need it and I have 2 aero leather coats a b3 and highwayman, I have a nice wool overcoat, and a few down winter coats for warmth. So Im not sure exactly where this coat would fit into my wardrobe.

That said, Im a sucker for anything with sheepskin and I just cant seem to get this coat out of my head. I have been going back and forth between this coat and a peacoat (neither of which I really need).

So, considering the above information still hasnt been enough to make me forget about this coat, can someone please give me some good reasons why I shouldnt buy it? Im sure there are some drawbacks that I havent thought of and it is so incredibly rare that items on the internet look as good in person.

Peacoat

Bartender
Did I understand your post that you don't have a peacoat? If so, then it is a no brainer. Every man needs at least one peacoat. Living in Pennsylvania, you need a 32 oz. wool coat that will block the wind, not a loose weave 24 oz. coat that will let the wind strip the warmth from your body. You already have the Aero with the large sheepskin collar and lapels; no need to get another. A vintage issue peacoat, coupled with a sweater in your climate, will keep the cold, rain and snow out and the warmth in.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Nope. I have no peacoats. I have a vintage wool and a vintage cashmere overcoat, but they are pretty dressy. The only thing that puts me off about a peacoat is that I have a really big white dog and dark wool plus white fur makes a coat look awful. A charcoal or grey blends more with the white fur than a black or blue, but the style of peacoats (pre 1980 from what you have pointed out in another thread) I like dont come in grey unfortunately.

Peacoat

Bartender
Is that a picture of you or your dog in the avatar? If your dog, he is a fine looking specimen. If it is you, I don't think a peacoat is the best choice.

Normally when one has a dog with long white fur, I suggest finding a new home for the dog before bringing in the peacoat. That is such a nice dog, though, I would hate for you to have to give him up. Perhaps shearing off the long hair would be the solution. Of course then the dog would be cold in your Pennsylvania winters. But better him than you.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Yes thats my boy. He goes almost everywhere with me. He is about 170 pounds of white furry fluff and it does get everywhere. I have a pet free room where I keep my nice clothes and jackets and I literally cannot wear dark wool in the house or in my truck unless I want it covered with white fur. For a while I toyed with the idea of getting a light grey schott 740N peacoat which would blend very well with his fur, but I just dont like the thin lapels flimsy looking lapels on the Schott coats. That is what brought me to the filson coat.

46dadc421a40f03d9bd52f6dfad78133.jpg

Big Fella

Familiar Face
I live in Pennsylvania also. I have two of those packer coats. I have never been cold in one. Currently waiting for the temperature to get down in the teens to wear them.

Lonny

One of the Regulars
I like that coat, something about it just looks cozy, although it probably is not...which could be cool, you could look cozy and not be uncomfortable indoors haha. But thats not the point of a coat.

Perhaps a light coloured peacoat would be better? I have a chocolate lab and I've been looking at a very nice brown peacoat for a while.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
The Filson is a mighty fine coat. I think it has a lot more style than a peacoat. You might need an extra layer under it when it is really cold, but it's made for layering so you can wear it through the fall and winter. You know that you are going to keep obsessing over it until you buy it, so do it now and enjoy it with no regrets. If you're going to buy a coat, you might as well have the best.

Ya, I'm not helping. ;)

AngryNJ

Familiar Face
I have a 32oz Schott peacoat and love it. Prior to it, I owned a banana republic fake peacoat. No comparison to the 32oz wool version.

I'm never cold in it. I used to wear a schott b3 but found it too heavy to wear. The peacoat never feels heavy, and the collar will keep the wind off the back of your head too. Cant praise it enough.

Peacoat

Bartender
The Filson is a mighty fine coat. I think it has a lot more style than a peacoat.

That is heresy. Members have been put in time out for that type of language!

I think that the dog and coat together will look brilliant! Perhaps a little camp - but heads will turn!
If you mean the dog wearing the coat, perhaps more than just ". . . a little camp." If you mean Storm wearing the coat while walking that fine dog, I agree--simply brilliant.

I've never had a peacoat...........:(
Well, we need to remedy that.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
JLStorm: "its really neither dressy or casual"

I have to agree with this statement. It looks to me like a warm coat styled for a working environment: e.g. ranch, farm, or backyard. I don't know exactly why I think that, but it doesn't look causal or dressy to me: it looks like a working coat. You might want to consider this coat if you want to use it for laboring outside in the cold.

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Please note that the Filson is two layers of 24 oz wool - the sleeves have an oversleeve, caped front and back plus a large pocket on the back below the cape. I have the same coat but without the sheepskin collar (called a double mackinaw). By far the warmest coat I have ever had including down and all kinds of other stuff. It is a working coat, however, as Philalethes pointed out. They are also quite heavy due to the amount of fabric if that's a concern. Mine's been in rain, ice snow and 15 below zero with high winds. I've thought about buying the one you are looking at with the sheepskin collar, but mine shows no signs of wear after about 10 years of winters.
Sorry, not helping much either.

Did I understand your post that you don't have a peacoat? If so, then it is a no brainer. Every man needs at least one peacoat. Living in Pennsylvania, you need a 32 oz. wool coat that will block the wind, not a loose weave 24 oz. coat that will let the wind strip the warmth from your body. You already have the Aero with the large sheepskin collar and lapels; no need to get another. A vintage issue peacoat, coupled with a sweater in your climate, will keep the cold, rain and snow out and the warmth in.

Yep.....

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
Have you honestly thought how camp you'd look walking your dog in that coat,we used to have a comedian called Dick Emery on British tv,find him and unless that's your intention it may help.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Im not sure what camp means, but my dog stands out on his own, I would never try to accentuate it, but even if I did it wouldnt matter., I could be wearing a clown suit with flashing lights, doing cartwheels, and screaming at the top of my lungs and no one would notice me, they only notice the dog. I am invisible next to him. Anyway, I dont decide my dress by my dog, if I like something, I get it, even if we end up matching.

JLStorm

Practically Family
They will make it any of the mackinaw wools, but there is a 35% additional charge. One just sold on ebay new without tags for 600.00, which I think is absolutely insane. The stock color of the wool packer coat can be had for around $300.00.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24