Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatches

Michaelson

One Too Many
The NAWCC recommends a 2-3 year interval for a regularily carried watch, and 10 years on a stored watch after service....but it depends on the individual and where/how the watch is carried. That said, though, a mechanical watch NEEDS servicing, just like any other mechanical device.

I HIGHLY recommend my watchmaker for consideraion. I've used him for years, and he's a master.

http://www.abellwatchmakers.com/

If you ever need work done to an antique watch, or a complicated watch, no matter....Chris is one to consider. Check out his watches for sale too.

He's not cheap, but as in all things good, you get what you pay for.

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
I just mentioned what the industry standard is. Considering the NAWCC is a group of collectors and watchmakers, I'm positive they'd LOVE a watch owner to follow those guidelines.;)

Personally, if a watch is keeping perfect time, and the regulator adjustment is in the center, it's fine until you see a definite change in its daily operation. THEN it's time to consider a servicing.

That said, I, too, have found that 5 years is a good benchmark to go with on a daily carry watch as well.

Regards! Michaelson

Feraud said:
This conversation is a great reminder for me to service a couple of watches!

I have had about ten done in the last six months. When they need to be done, they need to be done. It just happens that mine all need around the same time. :eusa_doh: :p
Paul's watch and clock repair has been busy with me and a few friends of mine lately. He does great work and has serviced quite a few watches in these parts. ;)

Feraud

Bartender
My last couple of services were performed by a shop in Grand Central Station.
Paul's receives very good reviews and I hope to bring them some businss soon.

Feraud said:
My last couple of services were performed by a shop in Grand Central Station.
Paul's receives very good reviews and I hope to bring them some businss soon.

Wait, there is a watch repair shop in Grand Central Station? That is interesting. You could have a railroad grade watch repaired at Grand Central Station. ;) :p
I can tell you that all the watches Paul has brought back from the dead for me have continued to keep running for years. From car clocks to pocket watches---electric to manual wind. He is a second generation watch maker. Hopefully his son will continue and be the third generation. I'll likely still be using mechanical watches that far into the future.:D
As an aside, his father used to carry a size 20something pocketwatch every day. Those things are like having a boulder in your pocket. :p

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Shangas said:
Hi Flute,

I'm a big fan of gold pocket watches (I have three), but keep in mind that SOLID GOLD watch-cases are very expensive. There aren't many left any more, because idiots keep melting them down for scrap. In fact my three watches are all gold-filled, which is about the best you can get these days anyway. My watches date from 1899, 1926 and 1960, respectively. Two Walthams and a Ball.

A few tips...

1. Solid gold (12, 14, 18kt) watch-cases are pretty rare. If you find one in good condition, expect to pay a lot for it. Gold cases are hard to come by.

2. Solid gold cases can be a bit delicate, prone to scratching and denting. Treat it carefully. Antique pocket watches as a rule, should be treated carefully. Don't drop them, don't expose them to dust and/or water.

3. A decent gold-filled case is probably a better bet than solid gold. Keep that door open as a watch-buying option.

Good watches can be bought from online watch-sellers (pocketwatchsite.com, pocketwatcher.org, etc). You can try watchmaker's shops. Sometimes people sell watchmakers their old pocket watches, the watchmaker cleans it, services and puts it in his shop-window (I know at least one shop in my town that does that).

You could also check flea-markets and antiques stores. All my three watches were purchased at the local flea-market. All with gold-filled cases. The most expensive one cost me $240.

Keep in mind that an antique pocket watch should be serviced regularly; once every five years, if you use it all the time. And unless you have a reliable service-history on this watch, get it serviced the moment you buy it, before wearing it.

I've finally acquired a gold-filled pocket watch. I was searching through some boxes that were my grandparent's, and I happened upon a small box that appeared to have not been opened in some time. I opened it up, only to find an assortment of pocket watches. I remember having looked in it before, but I must have forgotten about it, and it was pushed to the back of my organizing queue (aka my basement). Since you first gave me this advice to study up, Shangas, I have been doing some basic research on the companies, and the anatomy of pocket watches. So when I came across the heaviest watch, an ornate gold colored Elgin, I knew it was worth taking a closer look at. I located the movement's serial number, and found that it was made in the early 1900's. (It was a while ago, and I didn't save the serial number or bookmark the info, so I don't remember any specifics.) The movement is 17 jewels, and upon finding that, I figured it was worthwhile to have it repaired, rather than buy one from a watchmaker. The case had initials engraved on it; initials which I believe were my great-great grandfather's. So at the advice of sixties.nut, I sent it out to Girard Sensoli to have it looked at. The watch and case were totaled; missing hands and a crystal, the hunter's case was in two, and the watch didn't wind. I was charged $175.00 (which I thought was incredibly cheap for all of it--I'm not being scammed, am I?) to have everything repaired, and I'm awaiting it's arrival from the shop. Has anyone had any experience with Girard's other than sixties.nut (who is now unreachable), or know what happened to him (sixties.nut)?

I'll have pics of the restored watch in a couple weeks.

Cheers,

C.K.Farnsworth

One of the Regulars
wow, nice to have a family heirloom!

My Great Grandfather was a railroad engineer for the Santa Fe and I have a photo of him in 1926 in which you can see his watch fob draped out of his watch pocket. What I wouldn't give to own that watch! You are very lucky to have a watch from your family. I carry a 1889 Elgin Gold 15 jewel open face railroad grade for my daily watch, got it at a flea market for $125 and it keeps perfect time. He even threw in a really nice gold watch chain from the same period with the vest hole bar and a short fancy fob holder. I wear it with my three piece suits but have another chain for wearing without a vest.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I'm pretty sure it's from him; the initials and timeline matches up, at least to my sketchy memory from that far up the family tree. It might be someone else's; all I know is that it belonged to one of my family members.

I'd love to see some pics of your watch, if you have the time to post them. Have you ever looked for the serial number on the movement? There's a large database on all of the Elgins, and it reveals a lot about a watch.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
No photos yet, but I did a search of the serial number again. Click me! I don't know what much of the page means; can someone give me a quick explanation of what it means? I know mine is a 17j movement, but I don't know what category it belongs to on the list.

Thanks,

fluteplayer07 said:
No photos yet, but I did a search of the serial number again. Click me! I don't know what much of the page means; can someone give me a quick explanation of what it means? I know mine is a 17j movement, but I don't know what category it belongs to on the list.

Thanks,

Made in 1912 grade 314, of which there were 323,000 made. It is a hunting case, 3/4 plate nickel movement, model 2, pendant set.
Anything else? ;) :D

Naphtali

Practically Family
Michaelson said:
That is a MAGNIFICENT boxhinge Elgin, my friend. Keep it safe! It's worth a mint these days!
Here's the technical information on your watch movement:

Search Results For "14138287"
Serial Number SN Range RunQty Name Year grade size code jewels Adj/reg/etc.
-------------- -------- ------ ---- ---- ----- ---- ------ ------ ------------
14138287 14138001 1000 1909 339* 16s hbn6p 17j e

grade total runs first yr last yr class size code jewels Adj/name
----- ----- ----- -------- ------- ----- ---- ------ ------ ----------
339 50500 38 1904 1909 107 16s hbn6p 17j

Regards! Michaelson
Many thanks for the information. What does it mean?

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Made in 1912 grade 314, of which there were 323,000 made. It is a hunting case, 3/4 plate nickel movement, model 2, pendant set.
Anything else? ;) :D

Thanks for the help. :D What does the grade mean? The quality? Size? And do you think, besides the possible sentimental value, if it was worth the $175 repair price I paid? Not to sound shallow, but I'm kind of interested. :p

Thanks,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL