Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
brylcreem boy said:
Layrite is good stuff... to me it's best for shorter pomps that are high and tight. It just seems like you have to use a lot and it's not cheap. At a friends urging I am ordering a can of their new Super Hold. he swears by it and says it's awesome for his really thick hair. Herr Hitman did you try it yet?? My friend was telling me that occasionally he will mix it with Dax Wave and Groom for extreme hold that will not move period!

Super Hold is the way to go... I've recently switched back after yet another petroleum pomade scalp breakout... itchy scalps are NOT FUN.
Layrite Super Hold is TOPS. Go for broke on it man, you won't be disappointed.

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
I use Paul Mitchell pomade. I have silver hair and it seems to work well with the color better than others. I really like brylcreem, but even the smallest amoutn will make my face greasy within a couple of hours of using it.

GCHughes

New in Town
Royal Crown

I've been using Royal Crown for about 12 years with good results. (I have a "Valentino" cut, though the picture I showed to my stylist is of Boyd Senter. a.k.a. Dr Jazzology.) I used Tres Flores for several years but the scent was too much. If your hair is wavy or curly try using a "Doo-rag" while your hair is wet, let it dry and then apply pomade, worked for me and my hair tends to be very wavy.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I found a DEP "gel pomade" that worked quite well, is ungreasy, and washes right out. It was at a dollar store for a buck (as you might guess); I suppose it was discontinued.

(Perhaps someone else mentioned it, but I cannot go through all million posts again.)

berwynguy

New in Town
Received new supply of AGS Hair Grease

I'm a big fan of American Greaser Supply 40wt Pomade. This stuff is real greaser pomade - not a pansy ass gel or fake wax. Has plenty of good greasing grease. Very pleasant mild aroma - not vanilla, coconut, or any other fruit salad fragrance - just a mild masculine fragrance. I like the aroma far better than Royal Crown or Tres Flores.

I've only used their 40wt, but they do have a 90wt the would probably really give you some lift for a high kick ass pomp, or for bringing to attention any flattop.

Can be purchased online at various pro-greaser sites such as:

www.go-kat-go.com
www.thegreaseshop.com

Their main site is www.americangreasersupply.com

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Uh-oh -- it's the True Greasers vs the Pansies.

I'll bust out my rockabilly LPs and roll up my sleeves ...

I'd better hide my Scion XB.

At least it's black ...

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
Doran said:

At least it's black ...

Haha, it's whatever... this stuff always makes me laugh. I always love hearing people knock Layrite and other products similar for irrelevant reasons like its "pansy smell".
If your hair product determines your "status" then so be it. I use what works for me, you use what works for you. So what?
Long live choice!

berwynguy

New in Town
hey just funnin with ya. Any guy adopting the slick look is Ok in my book, even if he's using (cough cough) gel.

Doran said:

At least it's black ...

Miles Borocky

Familiar Face
Gimme the Crew!

This is my first post ever at TFL, and I have to take this moment to thank all of you hipsters for providing me with a wealth of information about classic style and products.

I tried American Crew pomade for the first time this weekend and loved it. It marked, for me, a final triumphant moment in a long search for the kind of hair product that might give me a bit of Cary Grant-ish hair perfection. Previously, I'd tried Brylcreem (thinking it must work if so many generations of men had relied on it) and Tres Flores brillantine, but neither of those had the hold I need (I have wispy, but wavy-in-humidity hair) and both, sadly, made my hair just look slick and greasy all day. The American Crew, on the other hand-- Hair stayed in place, and I don't look like I just stepped out of the shower.

Merci.

DerMann

Practically Family
Looking for Pomade suggestions

After discovering the miracle of Brylcreem, I find it may be time to move on to more drastic measures.

I like Brylcreem for the fact that it lets me comb my hair and keep it in a fairly organised manner without looking contrived (gel, mousse, etc...).

However, I've been noticing that put doffing and donning hats messes up my hair quite a bit, especially at the part.

If I were to buy a pomade, which brand would give me good control and the same wet look as Brylcreem? I don't want helmet hard, either.

Maguire

Practically Family
DerMann said:
After discovering the miracle of Brylcreem, I find it may be time to move on to more drastic measures.

I like Brylcreem for the fact that it lets me comb my hair and keep it in a fairly organised manner without looking contrived (gel, mousse, etc...).

However, I've been noticing that put doffing and donning hats messes up my hair quite a bit, especially at the part.

If I were to buy a pomade, which brand would give me good control and the same wet look as Brylcreem? I don't want helmet hard, either.
I have this problem too, and for awhile i simply abandoned hats altogether and stuck to gel (the sebastian wet look and the fantasia IC are the best IMO). The drawback is i have to wait for the gel to dry in, so i essentially have to walk to school with hat in hand instead of on my head.. defeating the purpose of wearing a hat.

If you've got normal (not poofy hair) i'd say pomade would work fine, much better than brylcreem. I stick to royal crown when i do use pomade. I find that although it does work, it still doesn't have the hold gel does (and for thick, wavy hair, thats a must). I also find getting it out annoying, ie gel i can simply wash out and reapply the next day, but pomade simply doesn't wash out, and it looks quite a mess after sleeping with it. At least, in my experience. I'm not sure that helps at all but uh... good luck.

Inky

One Too Many
Layrite Pomade (the super hold version) does a good job for my hubby, holding his fine hair in place (he wears it in a small pompadour style or slicked back), with a touch of hairspray over it. He doesn't wear fedoras, but does wear a newsboy style cap from time to time and Layrite works well for him when he does. The plus side is Layrite washes out easily, unlike some other pomades we've tried.

I personally use the regular Layrite when I do my hair to hold my curls smoothly, but I also always use hairspray in addition and I don't wear fedoras either ;)

Maguire

Practically Family
Inky said:
Layrite Pomade (the super hold version) does a good job for my hubby, holding his fine hair in place (he wears it in a small pompadour style or slicked back), with a touch of hairspray over it. He doesn't wear fedoras, but does wear a newsboy style cap from time to time and Layrite works well for him when he does. The plus side is Layrite washes out easily, unlike some other pomades we've tried.

I personally use the regular Layrite when I do my hair to hold my curls smoothly, but I also always use hairspray in addition and I don't wear fedoras either ;)
my own fear is that using pomade too much, or hairspray is simply going to cause me to lose my hair. I'm sure gel isn't good for it either, but the other too seem to be a bit tougher on it.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
DerMann,

I have become quite fond of "Tres Flores" ( THREE FLOWERS BRILLIANTINE POMADE ). It provides a flexible hold. The problem I have always had with gels and mousse is that if I need to re-comb my hair during the day that the product seems to "brush" out leaving my hair sort of poofy again.

The Tres Flores gives me a nice hold, yet I can re-comb my hair with no problem. I have tried Royal Crown as well and I think that the Tres Flores is a little less messy.

Yes, it does not wash out as easily as gel, but it does come out.

Since you are new to Pomades you might want to start with the American Crew Pomade (sort of a transition from gel to old school pomades).

Both products are usually available at either Walgreens or WalMart. The J Crew Pomade is sort of pricey usually around $12.00 and the Tres Flores is usually only around $3.00. ( Sometimes the Tres Flores is found in the "Ethnic" hair care section, along with Royal Crown).
Good luck on your quest.

Cheers,

Scott

Succotash

New in Town
My trials and tribulations with pomade are finally over though they were exhausting. I've tried everything and have finally found the perfect solution.

First, like most, I started with Murray's. Then i switched to Hawleywoods Layrite, but it is formulated to hold like a pomade or wax but wash out like a gell, so when it starts to rain and you don't have a hat you're out of luck my friend. I also tried Dax and Bryllcream but hated those products.

Finally I realized that because I have extremely fine hair, I shouldnt be using strong hold pomade because it weighs down the hair....so I switched to Royal Crown and it is perfect. Murrays Super Light is good too but it is a bit too greasy for me.

So now I use a lot of Royal Crown and a dab of Murrays Superior to get my hair just right. I wear a high pompadour normally so height and hold is everything.

Also, dont get too caught up in the expensive brands....the cheap stuff like Royal Crown works just as well.

DerMann

Practically Family
Probably should have mentioned this initially, as it defeats most of your replies.

My hair is thick, very much so. This is the reason why Brylcreem doesn't work so well for me. The hairs that are shorter by the part are what get messed up.

To me that sounds like I need a heavier pomade, no?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats