Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

berwynguy

New in Town
prefer old school products

BinkieBaumont said:
Quaint as it may seem using Vintage Pomades does not work in this Century. you need products that contain "fibres" and "Laminates" vintage products just used axel grease, and animal by products in a Stylish tin.

I've tried these 'SALON' hair products and just don't care for them. Personal preference I guess. In the 80s I tried Mousse - yuck, that was like putting glue in your hair. Gel, makes hair hard and like having plastic in your hair. I like my hair to be wet, glossy, pliable and soft even if that means being slick/greasy. It's easy to find the traditional hair products like pomade, and they usually are far less expensive than the fancy Sephora-like products. My wife may pay mega bucks for her hair treatments, but if I have to shell out more than $8 - $10, forget it.

Chrome

One of the Regulars
To me hairspray and pomade don't mix. :p I always hassle somehow that I need to comb my hair (especially with hat) and I hate if there would be flakes falling to my shoulders. Hairspray feels like I'm wearing helmet and with it I need to worry about rain.

No, no, not for me.

MrZootSuit

New in Town
Geesie said:
I would try something before Murray's. As many have said here before, the stuff is unbelievably thick. I put a bit on my hand and tried to work it into my hair and ended up with the wax still on my hand and my hair stuck to the wax.

I'd like to get up on my soap box here and defend Murray's products as they have been keeping my hair inline for the last 8 years. Yes Murray's Original is incredibly thick and is desinged to stay in your hair for a long time, and it does. BUT Murray's has many other pomades to choose from. If you want something that is stronger than brylcreem but is still wet looking I would suggest Murray's Super Light. Goes in easy and comes out with one wash, holds your hair in place but it's still very moveable. And what I think is the best thing about them is that if you can't find their products near you, all you have to do is go to their site, place an order, and they'll ship it right to you. It's quite a good deal at $3 a can.

DerMann

Practically Family
BinkieBaumont said:
Quaint as it may seem using Vintage Pomades does not work in this Century. you need products that contain "fibres" and "Laminates" vintage products just used axel grease, and animal by products in a Stylish tin.

I pray to the gods that you are indeed trolling.

Gels, mouses, and 'products,' in general have never satisfied me. They always flake out of my hair within a few hours of putting them in. Not only that, but in order to get the correct hold, I need to add enough to create a plasticine helmet over my hair - not good.

Even though Brylcreem is not perfect, it's miles ahead of gel and mouse.

I may take a stab at Murrays, as it's very inexpensive (might be able to find it at Wal Mart, too). And if that doesn't work out, I'll move on to Sweet Georgia Brown (red).

Thanks for all your helps, chaps.

Bert

New in Town
Don't forget, Murray's superior don't shine, or have a very light mate shine. If you find it at wallmart, also take some murray's light. Same price but lots of shine. Murray's superior is quite hard to use, so, for a beginner, i'd highly recommend something lighter.

Regards from France

Bertrand

volatile

A-List Customer
Bert said:
Don't forget, Murray's superior don't shine, or have a very light mate shine. If you find it at wallmart, also take some murray's light. Same price but lots of shine. Murray's superior is quite hard to use, so, for a beginner, i'd highly recommend something lighter.

Regards from France

Bertrand

Can someone explain to me why the Murray's online store thinks it costs $50 to send $9 worth of pomade to England?! :eek:

Bert

New in Town
volatile said:
Can someone explain to me why the Murray's online store thinks it costs $50 to send $9 worth of pomade to England?!

Hie

Once I wanted to order from Murrays, and deliver here in France. I just wrote them a mail and they answer me really quickly. In fact, it seems that the costs of shipping given by the website are just like estimation. For a more detailled answer, just direclty ask them.
But there are some websites here in Europe that provide the murrays products. In England, for exemple, you have http://www.rounduprecords.co.uk/ or, in Germany, the biggest shopping site for pomades, "Pomade shop" : https://shop.strato.de/epages/61591627.sf/en_US/?ViewObjectID=309454
This last one is held by a friend of mine, Stan, and provides nearly all the pomades you can look for, with a great worldwide customer service. You can find here any hairgrease, tonic, pomade, and much more.

Regards from France, Bertrand

volatile

A-List Customer
Bert said:
Hie

Once I wanted to order from Murrays, and deliver here in France. I just wrote them a mail and they answer me really quickly. In fact, it seems that the costs of shipping given by the website are just like estimation. For a more detailled answer, just direclty ask them.
But there are some websites here in Europe that provide the murrays products. In England, for exemple, you have http://www.rounduprecords.co.uk/ or, in Germany, the biggest shopping site for pomades, "Pomade shop" : https://shop.strato.de/epages/61591627.sf/en_US/?ViewObjectID=309454
This last one is held by a friend of mine, Stan, and provides nearly all the pomades you can look for, with a great worldwide customer service. You can find here any hairgrease, tonic, pomade, and much more.

Regards from France, Bertrand

Wow! Great links! I'll send your buddy some business. :)

Bert

New in Town
volatile said:

Yes it's a very good site. Stan is a true pomadehead, and tries anything he sells ; his advices are really good. Some kind of Greasypedia :p

Regards from France, Bertrand.

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
A good source of pomades are (at least in Germany, but I guess this is true for other countries) Afro Shops, just in case you prefer a brick and mortar shop. I found that they have usually a good variety of pomades at good prices, I've been to several.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
volatile said:

Wow indeed.. he carries alot of brands. I wander how expensive it is to ship orders to USA though. I noticed he carries one I have always wanted to try- "Blue Magic" I have heard this is a great product for high shine....

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
I had to give this discussion a little bump again to plug my latest product of choice:

I have been using the "Super Layrite" product regularly now for several weeks and I got to say this is an AMAZING product. It washes out with water and holds my pomp amazingly well. It doesn't give as high of a shine as some pomades like Royal Crown, or Murrays Lite, but I have found if you apply the Super Layrite 1st and then put a little of your high shine pomade of choice over the top of it, you get high shine and high hold. By putting the Layrite in 1st my hair still washes clean pretty easily without the product buildup.. it is a bit expensive but it does work very well.

DerMann

Practically Family
Just placed an order for Dax red and Murray's original.

Picked up an additional tube of Brylcreem at WalMart to tide me over.

Thanks for all the help.

Schofields

Familiar Face
shea butter works pretty good. mixed with coconut oil (solid until in contact w/ heat), even better.

i havent washed my hair in almost a year. the military brush does it wonders. also a little side note a friend told me about: corn starch. rub some into your head and brush out. gets rid of any smell, dirt, etc. a trick from the late 1890s on.

dogrocketp

One of the Regulars
Thin and Balding hair

Personally, I use gel on a daily basis before the hat goes on. With a proper fitting fedora, the damage is minimal. There is an all-purpose product called Egyptian Magic That I find remarkable when a light hold will suffice. It's all natural, washes out, and get be used in various quantities for different effects. It has many other uses as well.

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
Not sure if anyone mentioned Black & White here, but it's a great light hair dressing with a pleasant smell that holds great. It mostly washes out with one shampooing as well. Give it a whirl if you get a chance.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Murray's Super Light

Recently found Murray's Super Light on clearance at K-Mart for $1.49 so I thought I would give it a try. Not nearly as heavy as the regular Murray's yet a bit heavier than Tres Flores. Have only tried it only one day, but so far I am quite happy with it.

Cheers,

Scott

DerMann

Practically Family
Quick question. I shall be having a haircut on Saturday, and I should definitely try and get the pomade out of my hair beforehand, right?

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Probably a good idea. Barbers / Stylists don't seem to be too happy if you have alot of product in your hair. If you are having problems removing the more old school pomades, use a little dish soap like dawn or palmolive.

Cheers,

Scott

Bert

New in Town
DerMann said:
Quick question. I shall be having a haircut on Saturday, and I should definitely try and get the pomade out of my hair beforehand, right?

Well...It's sure that hairdressers don't like customers with tons of pomade. But, if you go on saturday, you can try it today or tomorrow, just a little, and shampoo you hair a few times in the next few days.
And don't forget the olive oil technique to take the murrays out of hair. It's not a urban legend, it really works ! When you hair is dry and full of wax, rub in your hair something like a spoon or two of olive oil ; gently massage. You'll feel it soon : it will "break the structure" of the pomade. Then shampoo once or twice to wash out the oil from hair : CLEAN :eusa_clap .

tylerevansokay : Oh yeah, I spend my time talking about Black and White. It's one of my top 3 pomade. Light but really good hold, medium shine and great fresh fragrance. Really easy to use. I've just used it this morning, with a bit of Royal crown for extra shine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925