Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PORTIS PATH

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
At the local antique mall. I'm not shelling out anywhere near the $95 they want for it.

MVC-060F-1.jpg

MVC-062F.jpg

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Portis Toss-Up

I won this Portis Toss-Up crushable a while ago on OFAS and then promptly forgot to post any pics.

Long nap and spiral stitching on the brim. This color is a bit lighter than actual, although in bright sunlight the plum tones do come out as seen in this flash photo:

4788773830_f0f5e0ab73.jpg

The cloth band is a bit stained on the "bow" side, but it's the flash that makes it jump out; to the naked eye it's not nearly as noticeable:

4788773862_91536db533.jpg

The printing on the cloth sweatband is faded; I had to wet it to bring it out:

4788145055_6de23b1363.jpg

4788145089_3a35829dc6.jpg

Union label - the sweatband has a rubber-like backing. There's no liner; I'm not sure there ever was one:

4788145017_89f38c711d.jpg

I can't tell if it's wool or fur felt; it's easy to bash and holds its shape, I can roll it up and then pop it out and rebash it however I want and it stays. It wants to shrink after wetting, and I have to keep a hat-jack in it pretty much all the time - although I've noticed my Portis Tissue-Weight likes to snug up too, so maybe that's a Portis thing.

buler

I'll Lock Up
1953 for the Toss-Up

I see news ads (all pay per view) in google news for the Toss-Up from Jan 1953 - Sept 1953.

B

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Love it, Bart. How would you describe the color?

Thanks Jimmy and Lefty. And thanks again for turning me on to this hat Jimmy. It's a keeper. The felt is just a light grey, the second picture is pretty accurate on my screen. The bound edge is 'tanner' from aging than it was originally but looks great in contrast. I got the gunk of the liner, it was pretty nasty when it arrived and is now alot clearer than in the ebay pictures. This one will likely make the Garland trip.:D

buler

I'll Lock Up
Portis Supreme

I've had this one for quite some time. Just realized I never posted it here. Very nice Portis Supreme with pug style ribbon, great edge treatment and crown sticker.

B

portis_supreme_1.jpg

portis_supreme_2.jpg

portis_supreme_3.jpg

portis_supreme_4.jpg

portis_supreme_5.jpg

portis_supreme_6.jpg

portis_supreme_7.jpg

portis_supreme_8.jpg

portis_supreme_9.jpg

portis_supreme_10.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Portis 1941

Ad from Esquire 1941. The Dude Ranch with whip stitched brim ("saddle-laced") and the Niagara with 2 tone ribbon.

B

portis_esquire_1941.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Portis Esquire April 1940

Portis - Home Run (has baseball's on the ribbon), Base Hit, and Patriot

portis_esquire_april_1940.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters