Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PORTIS PATH

buler

I'll Lock Up
Salty O'Rourke said:
OhBoyOhBoyOhBoy it arrived today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...0&_trksid=m38&_nkw=230415951374&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

It appears to be in great shape but man is it FILTHY. It's crying out for a trip to the Naptha spa, but I need some advice first.

The sweatband isn't leather, it's cloth, and it appears to have had some kind of cushioned backing that has deteriorated into a fine black powder - or else the original owner operated a soot farm. The yellow plasticky/wax papery/crinkly stuff between the sweatband and the liner is intact and is supple, not brittle.

My question is, will a dunk in the Naptha bucket harm the sweatband or that yellow thingy?

Also, the liner is spot glued in place, not sewn - was that typical? I have to take it out and clean it too - it's not stained but that sooty stuff has found it's way between the liner and the brylcream shield.

Any pointers you can send my way will be greatly appreciated.

Salty, sounds like the black soot was probably foam. Part of the "cushioned com-foamatic" sweatband. I've come across a few hats that have had that black crumbly mess in them. I can't say for sure if the naptha will harm anything, but in my experience even the paper tags come out unscathed.

B

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
4116309954_be6669388e_b.jpg

I keep coming back to look at this wonderful hat! It's a beauty!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
buler said:
Salty, sounds like the black soot was probably foam. Part of the "cushioned com-foamatic" sweatband. I've come across a few hats that have had that black crumbly mess in them. I can't say for sure if the naptha will harm anything, but in my experience even the paper tags come out unscathed.

B

Geeze, you'd think the foam backing on a hat gimmick would last more than 60 years....what's this country coming to? ;)

I've had good experience with Naptha - I'll try drop or two on that yellow plastic sweat shield (I'm assuming thats its purpose) and if it doesn't melt I'll give it the full bath.

Mike

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Salty O'Rourke said:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...0&_trksid=m38&_nkw=230415951374&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

It appears to be in great shape but man is it FILTHY. It's crying out for a trip to the Naptha spa, but I need some advice first.

The sweatband isn't leather, it's cloth, and it appears to have had some kind of cushioned backing that has deteriorated into a fine black powder - or else the original owner operated a soot farm. The yellow plasticky/wax papery/crinkly stuff between the sweatband and the liner is intact and is supple, not brittle.

My question is, will a dunk in the Naptha bucket harm the sweatband or that yellow thingy?

Also, the liner is spot glued in place, not sewn - was that typical? I have to take it out and clean it too - it's not stained but that sooty stuff has found it's way between the liner and the brylcream shield.

That black powdery stuff is most likely the remnants of an oxidized latex foam rubber compound - hence the "Cushioned Comfomatic" business.

Turn out the sweat and post a photo. Carefully remove the liner for cleaning if you want to clean it. This looks like a try at a summer weight hat so you can just put the clean liner into your 'liner drawer' - you have one, don't you? ;)

The crinkly stuff between the oxidized rubber and the sweat is most likely an oxidized paper compound... [huh]

Next time I find enough of that gold stuff I'll run it through the unknown substance we want to find out what it is lab - I'm a lab tech myself, and have, hmmm... hmmm... certain connections. :D

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
CRH said:
That black powdery stuff is most likely the remnants of an oxidized latex foam rubber compound - hence the "Cushioned Comfomatic" business.

Turn out the sweat and post a photo. Carefully remove the liner for cleaning if you want to clean it. This looks like a try at a summer weight hat so you can just put the clean liner into your 'liner drawer' - you have one, don't you? ;)

The crinkly stuff between the oxidized rubber and the sweat is most likely an oxidized paper compound... [huh]

Next time I find enough of that gold stuff I'll run it through the unknown substance we want to find out what it is lab - I'm a lab tech myself, and have, hmmm... hmmm... certain connections. :D

I don't think I can post pics yet, but the interior pics on the auction listing show the crinkly stuff clearly. I've noticed it on some of the other Portis lids posted in this thread so it must've been a common feature of the brand. It looks like waxed paper in the pics but it's more like plastic or perhaps celluloid. The naptha doesn't seem to hurt it - it's in the bath now. I removed the liner and soaked it in some mild detergent...lotta dirt floated off. The, uh, aromatic qualities of this hat are trying to evoke some buried memory from my childhood. I know I've smelled it before but I can't put my finger on where. It'll come to me eventually when I'm wracking my brain trying to recall something else...

Mike

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Salty...I know I've smelled it before but I can't put my finger on where. It'll come to me eventually when I'm wracking my brain trying to recall something else...[/QUOTE said:
I smell the future...

2007_there_will_be_blood_013.jpg

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Salty O'Rourke said:

Well, I took the plunge and dunked the hat in camp fuel - took 3 separate treatments (after the first bath the white gas was almost black). I sponged on a weak Woolite solution last night and it's drying now - looks like the hat is as clean as I can get it. The exterior above the ribbon is no longer darker than the felt that's been protected by the ribbon all these years, and not much darker than the interior beneath the liner.

The problem is the ribbon itself - it's sort of two-toned, darker from the brim to about 1/3 to 1/2 way up. It's not uniform all the way around. Looks like I'll have to have it replaced - any ideas on where I can get that done? I'm interested in keeping the hat as original as possible (I hesitate to change anything old unless absolutely necessary - it's in the Virginia gene) - any ideas on where I could send it?

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Salty O'Rourke said:

Well, I took the plunge and dunked the hat in camp fuel - took 3 separate treatments (after the first bath the white gas was almost black). I sponged on a weak Woolite solution last night and it's dry now - looks like the hat is as clean as I can get it. The exterior above the ribbon is no longer darker than the felt that's been protected by the ribbon all these years, and not much darker than the interior beneath the liner.

The problem is the ribbon itself - it's sort of two-toned, darker from the brim to about 1/3 to 1/2 way up. It's not uniform all the way around. Looks like I'll have to have it replaced - any ideas on where I can get that done? I'm interested in keeping the hat as original as possible (I hesitate to change anything old unless absolutely necessary - it's in the Virginia gene) - any ideas on where I could send it?

Here's some before-the-cleaning pics:

4259895241_99bab55506_m.jpg

4259896691_3873e54d90_m.jpg

4259890311_be449aa85c_m.jpg

And here are a couple of post-cleaning shots - you can see that the ribbon is still discolored:

4259983359_9243d64f00_m.jpg

4259938613_f0e61b5a50_m.jpg

4260746254_004bee1a89_m.jpg

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Lefty said:

I guess I submitted that before I got the pics attached :eek:

Thanks, Lefty - I figured from my own searches that Optimo would be a good option, do you know if they can supply vintage ribbon, or am I being too anal about vintage vs. modern?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
You'll be pleased with their huge selection of vintage ribbon. Unfortunately, without going there to see it, you'll have to do your best describing what you'd like.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Here's another one.

I found this one in a Goodwill store. After my "Senior" discount I paid $9.00 for it. It came with a cattlemans crease and was a little dirty, but I cleaned it up and rebashed the crown to my liking. The sweatband and liner are in excellent condition with no mothing or stains on the felt. As you can see, it evidently has some beaver fur in it, judging by the markings on the liner and sweatband. The felt is very soft and supple. It was very easy to reshape the crown. It's size tag was 7 1/4, which is what I wear but it was too big for me so I padded the back of the sweatband a little. On the back of the size tag, it had a price of $15.95. Not sure when that would date it as prices really varied depending on quality. Here's the pics.
IMG20071102_20050101_0001_9.jpg

IMG20071102_20050101_0001_11.jpg

IMG20071102_20050101_0001_5.jpg

IMG20071102_20050101_0001_10.jpg

IMG20071102_20050101_0001_13.jpg

fedoralover

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Matchbook covers

The following four matchbook covers show a price break progressioin among Portis hats that I thought might be interesting:

PortisMBx4.jpg

Bill Greene

One of the Regulars
Just took delivery of my first Portis, a beautiful (albeit filthy) dark brown stingy, with a dark brown ribbon with two tone bow. The original price tag is on the inside of the hat band and is $9.95, sold by a Hatter in Lasalle, Ill. There is one very tiny, perfectly symmetrical hole in the brim that looks more like someone put a pin through it than it does a moth bite...but I guess it's hard to tell. Looks hardly worn, just really dirty.

I'm going to try the naptha treatment on it, and when I'm done I'll be sure and post some photos.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I thought I would put in an observation about Portis quality since I just got the one posted just previously. A vintage clothing store here has had a Portis Open Road style fedora for sale for a while now. I've seen it numerous times but it's not my size. It has the Swansback finish like so many seemed to have judging by the pics in previous threads. I went back to compare mine to it Friday and was surprised at how much difference in the felt there was. I'm "assuming" that the Beaver Blend made for a tighter and smoother finish. I thought I'd let people know, in case you see one for sale that has Beaver Blend on the liner or sweatband that it is definitely a higher quality felt. At least in the comparison between these two. I might add that judging by the labels, I'm pretty sure that the one in the store was older than mine. If anyone else has one that has Beaver Blend labeled on it, how did yours feel?

fedoralover

frussell

One Too Many
Snagged a Portis

Any of you Portis experts able to tell me what "Sterling Quality" means in terms of the felt material itself? I just got a $36 Portis that just has "Sterling Quality" in the description, don't have the hat in hand yet, was just wondering if I made a mistake. Looks to have a welted, semi-stingy brim and needs a cleaning. I didn't see any other markings on the sweat photos. The liner seems to have the same "Swans Down Finish" logo that Douglas' second hat on page 1 has. What's the beaver or other rodent content on these? Any ideas? Thanks, Frank

buler

I'll Lock Up
Portis Beaver Blend

A Portis Beaver Blend in sand color. Very nice felt not unlike a Dobbs/Knox Twenty. Has the brim binding with more showing on underside versus topside.
Nice box ribbon and wind trolley.

B

portis_sand_1.jpg

portis_sand_profile.jpg

portis_sand_brim.jpg

portis_sand_2.jpg

portis_sand_3.jpg

portis_sand_4.jpg

portis_sand_5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members