Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PORTIS PATH

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
GWD said:
Blue Gray

web.jpg

I love the liner in this hat!

I do, too! Fantastic liner! Great lid. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Portis Sterling

Got this one from ScottF. The ribbon treatment on this lid reminds me a bit of the Stetson Privateer. This ribbon is two-tone -- dark taupe and copper. Interestingly, the copper part of the ribbon is also a different weave from the rest of the ribbon -- a sort of box weave, compared to the upper two pleats. Overall, this one is in great condition, with a supple sweat. The felt itself is dress weight, and quite soft. Brim width is 2 5/8". The crown is slightly more than 5 1/4". Originally, I tried out a diamond crease -- but I have since decided to go with what I call an "elevated center dent."

Portis-a.jpg

Portis-4.jpg

PortisRibbon.jpg

PortisRibbon-2.jpg

PortisLiner.jpg

PortisSweat-2.jpg

PortisSweat-1.jpg

Portis-e.jpg

Portis-b.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

EDITED to add new photos...

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
EricH said:
What can I say? Sigh. That is a beauty and a Grail that eludes me yet. Congrats.

Eric
buried in snow, and hats

Thanks, Eric. A Portis has eluded me for a long time, as well. Thankfully, this one was a bit too large for ScottF! :)

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
Is the crown lower on yours than the crown on Sues hat?

It looks that way, doesn't it? But I'm not sure how much that's due to the photo angles, etc. Hopefully, Sue will post hers on this thread and provide some dimensions. ;)

I guess the way I'd describe this lid, based on things I've read here on the Lounge, is that my Portis probably has crown dimensions more similar to an Akubra Squatter (as opposed to an Open Road or Campdraft crown). The height is in the 5 1/4" to 5 3/8" range, and the proportions of the crown itself aren't quite as large as on an OR. A different look, but a good one, I think. :)

Cheers,
JtL

CRH

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
...A different look, but a good one, I think. :)

Yup! :eusa_clap

Variety is the spice of life isn't it?

Man I love these Portis hats, especially the pugs. Whoever was in charge of design was certainly willing to take risks and correctly, I think.

billysmom

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
It looks that way, doesn't it? But I'm not sure how much that's due to the photo angles, etc. Hopefully, Sue will post hers on this thread and provide some dimensions. ;)

Cheers,
JtL

Ok - Here ya go!

Portis-Dec.jpg

DSCF1831.jpg

DSCF1832.jpg

DSCF1833.jpg

DSCF1834.jpg

Portis-Button.jpg

Dimensions:

Brim: 2 5/8"
Crown: 5 1/4" (+)
Ribbon: 1 1/4"
Sweat: 2" reeded

Sue

Sue

billysmom

One Too Many
RBH said:
I like it Jimmy.
Is the crown lower on yours than the crown on Sues hat?

The crowns appear to be identical. I think crowns tend to look taller on diminutive noggins like mine. And, as Jimmy says, the angle will influence the perspective.

Sue

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for weighing in, Sue! As far as I'm concerned, that lid is an absolute classic. Looks like the the height of your crown is pretty much identical to mine. Two different variations of the same lid...;)

Cheers,
JtL

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Cleaning my new Portis Tissue Weight

OhBoyOhBoyOhBoy it arrived today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...0&_trksid=m38&_nkw=230415951374&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

It appears to be in great shape but man is it FILTHY. It's crying out for a trip to the Naptha spa, but I need some advice first.

The sweatband isn't leather, it's cloth, and it appears to have had some kind of cushioned backing that has deteriorated into a fine black powder - or else the original owner operated a soot farm. The yellow plasticky/wax papery/crinkly stuff between the sweatband and the liner is intact and is supple, not brittle.

My question is, will a dunk in the Naptha bucket harm the sweatband or that yellow thingy?

Also, the liner is spot glued in place, not sewn - was that typical? I have to take it out and clean it too - it's not stained but that sooty stuff has found it's way between the liner and the brylcream shield.

Any pointers you can send my way will be greatly appreciated.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Salty O'Rourke said:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...0&_trksid=m38&_nkw=230415951374&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

It appears to be in great shape but man is it FILTHY. It's crying out for a trip to the Naptha spa, but I need some advice first.

The sweatband isn't leather, it's cloth, and it appears to have had some kind of cushioned backing that has deteriorated into a fine black powder - or else the original owner operated a soot farm. The yellow plasticky/wax papery/crinkly stuff between the sweatband and the liner is intact and is supple, not brittle.

My question is, will a dunk in the Naptha bucket harm the sweatband or that yellow thingy?

Also, the liner is spot glued in place, not sewn - was that typical? I have to take it out and clean it too - it's not stained but that sooty stuff has found it's way between the liner and the brylcream shield.

Salty, sounds like the black soot was probably foam. Part of the "cushioned com-foamatic" sweatband. I've come across a few hats that have had that black crumbly mess in them. I can't say for sure if the naptha will harm anything, but in my experience even the paper tags come out unscathed.

B

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
buler said:
Salty, sounds like the black soot was probably foam. Part of the "cushioned com-foamatic" sweatband. I've come across a few hats that have had that black crumbly mess in them. I can't say for sure if the naptha will harm anything, but in my experience even the paper tags come out unscathed.

B

Geeze, you'd think the foam backing on a hat gimmick would last more than 60 years....what's this country coming to? ;)

I've had good experience with Naptha - I'll try drop or two on that yellow plastic sweat shield (I'm assuming thats its purpose) and if it doesn't melt I'll give it the full bath.

Mike

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Salty O'Rourke said:

That black powdery stuff is most likely the remnants of an oxidized latex foam rubber compound - hence the "Cushioned Comfomatic" business.

Turn out the sweat and post a photo. Carefully remove the liner for cleaning if you want to clean it. This looks like a try at a summer weight hat so you can just put the clean liner into your 'liner drawer' - you have one, don't you? ;)

The crinkly stuff between the oxidized rubber and the sweat is most likely an oxidized paper compound... [huh]

Next time I find enough of that gold stuff I'll run it through the unknown substance we want to find out what it is lab - I'm a lab tech myself, and have, hmmm... hmmm... certain connections. :D

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
CRH said:
That black powdery stuff is most likely the remnants of an oxidized latex foam rubber compound - hence the "Cushioned Comfomatic" business.

Turn out the sweat and post a photo. Carefully remove the liner for cleaning if you want to clean it. This looks like a try at a summer weight hat so you can just put the clean liner into your 'liner drawer' - you have one, don't you? ;)

The crinkly stuff between the oxidized rubber and the sweat is most likely an oxidized paper compound... [huh]

Next time I find enough of that gold stuff I'll run it through the unknown substance we want to find out what it is lab - I'm a lab tech myself, and have, hmmm... hmmm... certain connections. :D

I don't think I can post pics yet, but the interior pics on the auction listing show the crinkly stuff clearly. I've noticed it on some of the other Portis lids posted in this thread so it must've been a common feature of the brand. It looks like waxed paper in the pics but it's more like plastic or perhaps celluloid. The naptha doesn't seem to hurt it - it's in the bath now. I removed the liner and soaked it in some mild detergent...lotta dirt floated off. The, uh, aromatic qualities of this hat are trying to evoke some buried memory from my childhood. I know I've smelled it before but I can't put my finger on where. It'll come to me eventually when I'm wracking my brain trying to recall something else...

Mike

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Salty...I know I've smelled it before but I can't put my finger on where. It'll come to me eventually when I'm wracking my brain trying to recall something else...[/QUOTE said:
I smell the future...

2007_there_will_be_blood_013.jpg

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Salty O'Rourke said:

Well, I took the plunge and dunked the hat in camp fuel - took 3 separate treatments (after the first bath the white gas was almost black). I sponged on a weak Woolite solution last night and it's drying now - looks like the hat is as clean as I can get it. The exterior above the ribbon is no longer darker than the felt that's been protected by the ribbon all these years, and not much darker than the interior beneath the liner.

The problem is the ribbon itself - it's sort of two-toned, darker from the brim to about 1/3 to 1/2 way up. It's not uniform all the way around. Looks like I'll have to have it replaced - any ideas on where I can get that done? I'm interested in keeping the hat as original as possible (I hesitate to change anything old unless absolutely necessary - it's in the Virginia gene) - any ideas on where I could send it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou